cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

FlashfireFist
Journeyman III

New adrenaline update absolutely bricked my pc

Hello, a couple of days have gone by since I have taken my desktop to a technician as I was at my wit's end trying to fix it, the issue started literally 2 days after the warranty expired and even though they tried to make some kind of effort to ship it back, the factory wouldn't let it happen so I'm just gonna do one last effort troubleshooting. I have a 5800x3d and there isn't a single one left where I'm from.

My current set up is this: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor 

CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 360R V2 78.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B-550 M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

RAM: ADATA XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB ( 8 x 4 ) DDR4-3200Mhz CL16 Memory

Storage:  MSI SPATIUM M371 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive 

GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 6800 GAMING X TRIO

PSU: MSIMAG A600DN W 80+ Standard

I hope someone more knowledgeable would help me out trying to get to the root of the issue if possible cause even the technician of a well known custom PC company here was dumbfounded.

Here's all what we know now:

• PC has been running fine for exactly a year

• No overclocking or abuse of any sort, I just have -20 to -30 custom curve depending on each core

• Temps wouldn't even border 65 Celsius

• Last week I did a clean windows install +AMD driver update to 24.9.1 using DDU and fresh install

• PC ran fine for a couple of days

• No changes made regarding anything

• Third day after PC turns on in the morning I get AMD driver time out, these usually resolve themselves or stop after a reboot but they kept going until I force shutdown

• After force shutdown I get a blue screen, "whea_uncorrectable_error" code: 0x0000001

• I took out ram sticks until only 1 was left, after some reseating and CMOS clears it gets to desktop then crashes

• I do one more CMOS reset, then go to bios and set ram to XMP profile

• Right after I do this it will not get to bios anymore

• Fans and their RGB run fine, GPU and its RGB light up

• No debug lights coming from the motherboard regarding DRAM/CPU or anything...

At this point I gave up and took it to the technician, he took out the CPU, put it in another PC and it didn't work, tried another CPU on my PC and it worked. He just told me the CPU is fried.

But a few things to note:

• Diagnostics machine according to him shows that the CPU is fine

• The motherboard reads and recognizes the CPU

• When I take off the cooler and let the CPU heat up, the fans turn up faster

• CPU doesn't have any signs of physical damage, neither the motherboard nor any other part

• Still can't access bios, it doesn't recognize any monitor or usb peripheral.

If someone can offer any insight it'd be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

0 Likes
16 Replies
G7
Journeyman III

The update to 24.9.1 is the driver and software for the Video card /(GPU) and not the (CPU), The CPU where you using I see AMD Ryzen 7. and you said you took off the CPU Heat sync / Fan  cooler. that could kill the CPU never do that!!!.  I always use Artic silver 5 CPU thermal compound on everything, The CPU(CPU Heat sync / Fan  cooler), Video Card (GPU Heat sync / Fan  cooler), Motherboard North bridge  Heat sync. I hope this helps you.

The AMD video card drivers are  specific to Chip set and GPU build. I asked AMD to improve on this on there driver download pages. for example.... I have a PC system with Asus Radeon RX550, several Adrenalin Driver Versions work, yet this specific Asus Radeon RX550 Chip set is Video Chipset Codename Polaris 12 Lex Pro and the Adrenalin Driver that works best after many tests is Adrenalin version 24.3.1 for Polaris 12 Lex Pro.

So look up the Chip set and GPU build of the AMD video card then find the matching Adrenalin version Driver, Then tweak it. 

0 Likes

CPU is 5800x3d, and I updated from 24.8.1 to 24.9.1

Yes the driver update is for the GPU, but this was literally the only thing I changed after the entire setup has been working well enough for the past year. Somehow the constant crashes from the new driver (a lot of people seem to be having them on the online boards for AMD) caused my CPU to malfunction. The technician took it off when I was there, and I assumed that he would know better as a professional to one of the most known Custom PC setup shops in the country.

0 Likes

I have the exact same issue after the driver update , but my error is related to the graphic card driver stop working, nothing about cpu, i also have a 5800x3d and a RX6800XT , but it also started after a windows update , so i go more for a windows fck up than anything else , i installed the radeon pro drivers , and the driver error is rare to happen , i guess i will format my pc and do a fresh install of windows since it has been acting strange since 24h2 windows 11 update.

Try  install the radeon pro drivers .. you can download from exact same place they are just a bit down in the list. Else format your pc and reinstall windows

Ryzen 7 5800x3D - Powercolor RX6800XT Red Devil - 16GB Ram - MSI B550 Gaming Plus - Win 11 / AMD R7 1700 - PowerColor RedDevil RX580 8GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - MSI x470 gaming plus - Win10 and also Phenom 9950 Black Edition 8gb Ram - HD7870 2GB
0 Likes

I can't even get to bios, if I can I will try the PRO drivers instead

0 Likes

and also reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers

Ryzen 7 5800x3D - Powercolor RX6800XT Red Devil - 16GB Ram - MSI B550 Gaming Plus - Win 11 / AMD R7 1700 - PowerColor RedDevil RX580 8GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - MSI x470 gaming plus - Win10 and also Phenom 9950 Black Edition 8gb Ram - HD7870 2GB
0 Likes

yurikokolev, I suggest you do not have the same problem. Please open a new thread, post all your drivers, screenshots of all errors you are seeing, Clear CMOS and make sure to get all AMD drivers from here. Do NOT use Pro drivers if you do not have a PRO part! John.

0 Likes

Hi if the problem is in fact a MS update issue then use this wushowhide.diagcab

from :  https://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagca...

This will allow you to :

Hide update (select update to not install them again never) or

Show updates (to allow them to be installed or reinstalled after removal)

This works only with OEM installs

I recommend  Win 10 pro x64 FWS (For Work Stations) 

0 Likes

Did you try to uninstall and reinstall the previous working driver???

Then get it working and do safe tests. 

The best way to backup or save the whole system Hard drive is to do a ghost or disk image on a second or third identical Hard drive (same Brand Type and size) then if something go's wrong you can disk image it back and do not have to install anything. Example...

Label the Drives Main C and Image or Backup D  

My Main C:\ Drive is a Seagate 1 TB SSD

My 2nd D:\ Drive is a Seagate 1 TB SSD

I ghost or disk image Main C:\ Drive is a Seagate 1 TB SSD to ----> 

2nd D:\ Drive is a Seagate 1 TB SSD

(and when the Main C:\ Drive system crash Blue/Black screen)

I ghost or disk image from 2nd D:\ Drive is a Seagate 1 TB SSD Back to -----> 

Main C:\ Drive is a Seagate 1 TB SSD

and just reboot and all is ok

This can be done ( with portable  ghost or disk image on a USB Flash drive ) or remove the Hard drives and run ghost or disk image on a different PC)

0 Likes

after i installed the motherboard drivers and installed the pro verson of the drivers for the graphics card  my problems were over.  After a couple of days testing i installed the 28.4.1 radeon drivers and still no issues with it,  I am used to have issues with windows update screwing Radeon drivers, ohh the shortcut to the replay is not working ... guess what windows update decided to install a crap driver because in their mind it was newer and they did it a lot specially in windows 10.   Believe me when i tell you all AMD drivers are not as bad as people say they are and most of the issues the main culprit is microsoft and their useless updates

0 Likes

FlashfireFist, do a Clear CMOS, use only one stick of memory and post all your parts not a link to some other website. Please quit booting with no CPU cooler. John.

0 Likes

I have cleared CMOS and used only one stick of memory a few times over while reseating the same stick or using a different stick and reseating it... -no go.
I will post parts here and update main description

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor 

CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 360R V2 78.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B-550 M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

RAM: ADATA XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB ( 8 x 4 ) DDR4-3200Mhz CL16 Memory

Storage:  MSI SPATIUM M371 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive 

GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 6800 GAMING X TRIO

PSU: MSIMAG A600DN W 80+ Standard

0 Likes

FlashfireFist, have you tried all memory slots with one stick? Do a Clear CMOS before starting the test and do not apply any changes including Curve Optimizer. What does your MB vendor say about this? Some things to try. Install a fresh copy of Windows, formatting your C: disk in GPT. Make sure all AMD drivers are from here. Look in the Event Viewer and post the Basic tab of a few Critical errors. John.

0 Likes

Yes I have tried all memory slots with one stick and I will try again now with a different stick, my main issue right now is getting to bios or getting post, all I get is a black screen with the fans and RGB running but nothing else, not even my peripherals will be recognized nor the monitor. 
I have currently taken off the GPU and am only trying to get it to work with the PSU, CPU, NVMe and 1 Ram stick. Any insight is welcome as I am currently at my wit's end.

0 Likes

Hi

Can you send me All System Specs include everything , mouse, KB , Monitor .exc.........

Brand, type, CPU, HD, Vid, Power supply Watts.

Check things such as is the reset button stuck down, or a 4 or 8 pin power not all the way in.

0 Likes
G7
Journeyman III

Hi 

Help me understand (With no CPU Cooler???) I do not pretend to know everything I am open for greater learning and understanding. It is my understanding that A CPU or GPU without heat sync and /or FAN , thermal compound could burn it seconds or 1 min.   

0 Likes

True, G7. The processor will burn up very quickly and should never be power up with no heat sink. John.

0 Likes