cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

kythlyn
Adept I

CTR 2.1 stopped working after a recent Windows 11 update. I need another way to limit the CPU.

I have a 5900X with an RTX 3080 (EVGA FTW3) on an ASRock X570 Taichi.

I had been using CTR 2.1 to lock the processor's speeds at around 4.4ghz to keep temps down, but a Windows 11 update broke CTR 2.1. I updated software from the ASRock website for my motherboard, but I still can't get CTR 2.1 working again, so the CPU has been doing its default variable speeds thing and easily reaching 90c despite a liquid cooling setup (using CTR 2.1, the temps never got above mid 70s and I was able to keep my fans relatively low).

Here's my question: Is there another app that can lock the speed of the processor so I can keep temps down? I'll need specific instructions because I usually don't mess with overclocking or underclocking (a friend had helped me to set up CTR 2.1). I currently have Ryzen Master installed but I have no idea how to use it.

Thanks!

0 Likes
8 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

kythlyn, talk to the vendor about CTR 2.1. I recommend you uninstall CTR 2.1and all applications from your MB vendor and never get AMD drivers from them. Get your AMD drivers here. Use Ryzen Master (RM). Maximum temperature for the 5900X is 90C. You should probably work towards correcting your temperature problem. Why do you want to lower the performance of your system? Post all your components, maybe we can help. John.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late response--I signed up for emails, but they didn't send one. I'll check manually more often going forward.

When I was using CTR 2.1 to limit things, I didn't notice any significant difference in gaming performance. The only difference was the temps never broke 75c, and the fans stayed quiet, so I was pretty happy with it. That's really the goal here, to keep the system cool and quiet, without any significant hit to performance, so I had the best of both worlds until that app stopped working after the windows update.

In any case, here are a few more details about my system: 

CASE: LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL (10 fans, three of which are on the radiator for the AIO)
MOBO: ASRock X570 TAICHI
CPU: 5900X
AIO: Lian Li Galahad AIO360
GPU: EVGA 3080 FTW3 (not the liquid cooler compatible version unfortunately--getting short freezes every few seconds while gaming lately so this might need some attention, maybe thermal pads or paste or something) 
RAM is Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4 3200(PC4-25600)
STORAGE: 3 SSDs (system drive is a PCIe 3.0 drive at 2000MB/s, the others are PCIe 4.0 at 4800MB/s and 6600MB/s)

I've been using the ASRock Tuning Utility to manage the fan curve, but I really don't like it. Seems to be at odds with my motherboard's settings and sometimes the fans just randomly change profiles and get noisy. I just installed the latest AMD drivers directly from AMD as you suggested, and I'm going to try the Eco Mode in Ryzen Master as suggested in the other comments.

Appreciate all of you, and any further advice you might have. 

Thanks, kythlyn. Personally I do not believe in any applications from MB vendors. I run all my fans and pump on 12 Volts and have big slow turning fans so I do not worry about fan noise. The 5900X maximum temperature is 90C. There is a Quick Reference Guide on the RM site. It is very hard to cause problems with all the warnings about overclocking. I do not OC but use RM to monitor things. Much more reliable than the free applications. Other Overclock and Underclock users here should reply soon to help you. John.

FunkZ
Grandmaster

Couple of different ways this could be accomplished.

The easiest is probably to use ECO mode. It's a setting in Ryzen Master Advanced View. Simply toggle it on and Apply. ECO mode lowers the processor TDP from for example 105W to something like 65W.

FunkZ_0-1725290893886.png

Of course most changes in Ryzen Master have to be reapplied every reboot. If this works for you and you want to make it so you don't have to reapply it every time, look for the ECO setting in the motherboard BIOS. I looked in the ASRock X570 Taichi manual but it does not detail the AMD Overclocking section, which is where the setting would likely be, under PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive)

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT

FunkZ, doesn't RM Basic View have ECO Mode? Does 'Write PBO' to BIOS in Advanced View/Settings also save ECO mode. My old 3970X does not have ECO mode. Thanks, John

0 Likes

I thought so too John but maybe they moved it in the latest version? Or it's just not showing up for me.

You may be right about ECO mode being saved to BIOS when Write PBO to BIOS is enabled. (default)

FunkZ_0-1725298340143.png

FunkZ_1-1725298414062.png

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes
robbbyt99
Journeyman III

This has also happened to me and I've been tearing my hair out trying to work out what stopped CTR 2.1 from working. It's good to know that reinstalling Windows won't fix it. I relied on this app to be able to use my pc as the 5750x overheats constantly at stock with a Kraken 280mm radiator and I had to undervolt it to get it to work reliably. Have you found a solution which works for you? I can't use Ryzen Master as it freezes my PC after about 15 mins and believe CTR was far more optimal a solution as I never used to notice any performance issues and had decent temps and it started like clockwork with every reboot. 

0 Likes

robbbyt99, looks like kythlyn never got a solution or at least never posted one. You need to open your own thread with all your parts and software. To get started, I strongly recommend you uninstall all free applications for your system and describe your problem. Make sure all your AMD software come from here do a Clear CMOS and see how your system runs. John.

0 Likes