cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

justdrewit34
Journeyman III

Is the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X compatible with my motherboard?

I want to replace my old processor with the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X. My motherboard is the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard. Can I just order the processor and plug it in, or will it not work/need some sort of upgrade?

0 Likes
2 Replies

Your MSI Motherboard is compatible and will support the Ryzen 9 3900X: Support For B450 TOMAHAWK | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

But before you install your new Ryzen 3900x you first MUST UPDATE THE BIOS/UEFI and CHIPSET to the latest versions.

You must have BIOS version 7CO2v18.zip or higher installed BEFORE you plug in your 3900X otherwise it won't boot up. The latest BIOS version is 7CO2v1D:Support For B450 TOMAHAWK | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

Also check to see if the RAM MEMORY you have now is listed as being compatible with the new Ryzen 9 3900X Processor QVL List for RAM MEMORY for the Ryzen 3xxx Processors: Support For B450 TOMAHAWK | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

Note: If your RAM MEMORY is not listed, see if the computer will boot up anyways. If it boots up and everything is working fine than your RAM is probably fine to use.

If it has problems booting up, Remove all the RAM modules EXCEPT one stick and see if it boots up.

Thanks for the help!