cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

AMDMan64
Adept I

HP 14-dk0028wm APU Failure

I currently have an HP 14-dk0028wm that I am attempting to repair for a client of mine.  This laptop has a Ryzen 3 3200U with Vega 3 Graphics.

Currently, every time you load any GPU/APU drivers, the screen will pretty much immediately go black / blue.

This happens in Windows 10 (HP factory install and a fresh install) and in Ubuntu Linux.  I already cleaned the fan and checked the thermal grease.

The laptop can sit for hours in the BIOS or in Windows with the card disabled, but as soon as you enable it - it almost immediately goes black or blue.

So, the question is - has anyone experienced a similar failure of their Ryzen chips? This laptop is only 2 years old and this is very unfortunate behavior
Any tips on getting HP or AMD to take notice of this issue and potentially provide a repair?  Otherwise, I guess I'm going to have to see if I can find a shop that will replace the APU with a non-broken one.

Thank you.

0 Likes
11 Replies

Here is HP Support for your laptop: https://support.hp.com/hk-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-14-dk0000-laptop-pc/25040281/model/29770887

I suggest you upgrade all the drivers to the latest versions including the BIOS and Graphics and CHIPSET drivers.

Then run HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTIC to see if it detects any defective hardware.

Screenshot 2021-08-19 104255.png

Besides the probability of a bad processor it could also be a defective Motherboard or out-dated AMD Driver and BIOS version.

Make sure the laptop is completely updated via Windows update for AMD driver to work correctly.

0 Likes

Thank you for the response.  I knew I was forgetting a few details...

I am already on F.62 BIOS (the latest) - I patched to the latest version after I was having this problem originally.  I think it was on F.58.
HP really screwed up with this model because they shipped it with Windows 10 S and by default you can't even do firmware updates or driver updates that aren't delivered from Windows update without creating a USB stick.  This unit has been updated over time with newer versions as they come out and it was taken out of s mode because it was so annoying.

The issue occurs with the latest AMD drivers and also with the latest ones from HP.
Also - it isn't a Windows specific issue.

I pretty much have it narrowed down to the GPU/APU - but it looks like we're probably stuck without some acknowledgement from HP and/or AMD at this point.  I would love to send it to one of them to have them investigate further rather than creating yet another piece of e-waste.
I can assure that you that I know all about drivers and loading operating systems - I manage a network with 5000+ systems in my day job - so I'm coming at this with a fair amount of knowledge.

By the way - Hardware Diagnostics reports no errors - forgot to mention that.  When it was initially happening, I could get it to work for maybe 2 minutes with the GPU enabled and it was gotten to the point where you can't even turn it on at all - so whatever failure has occurred seems to be permanent at this point.

0 Likes

Wasn't aware of your computer background so it does seem like you have done a good job of troubleshooting.

Unfortunately, AMD can't do anything since the AMD Processor is part of OEM Laptop therefore only HP can warranty any parts on the laptop as you probably are aware of.

You can always open an Online AMD Support ticket and see what they suggest from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

By your replies it suggest the laptop is not under warranty so you can always try HP Forums where possibly a HP employee might be able to assist you in your issue.

Have you tried to restore the laptop to factory defaults by using the Laptop's HP Restore feature? If you restore it back to the way it came when it was purchased and everything works fine then you know it probably is some incompatible driver involved but if the same issue keeps occurring than it probably is hardware issue as you pointed out.

I would believe if you have to replace the soldered in processor it probably wouldn't be worth to repair it. If the GPU card is defective and is replaceable then that would be cheaper and easier to do.

0 Likes

As far as I'm aware - these being an APU have the GPU on the same die as the CPU.  It is Radeon Vega 3, which has 3 graphics cores clocked at 1200 MHz.

I'm guessing they use shared video memory.  I'll see if i can find some other DDR4 to pop in here, but considering it doesn't fail the memory test, I doubt that will help.

Thanks for that link to the AMD tech support page.  I was trying to find that on their website this morning and hit a wall trying to find that. I will submit a ticket.

The HP warranty is definitely expired, probably only by about 4-5 months, however.  I just looked back and it looks like this computer was originally purchased in around April of 2020.  It is honestly insane to be dealing with an almost complete failure after only 1.5 years.  I haven't seen anything like that since the whole nVidia fiasco of the dv6000 series.

I posted on the HP forum already - but apparently they aren't nearly as cool as the AMD Forum as I haven't gotten a response in almost 24 hours on there.  Thank you for the tips.  I reached out to a shop that I've used in the past for board-level repairs to see if they have a source for 3200U CPUs.  That's probably the hard part.  I would think they could probably solder any Zen 3 CPU to the board and it would probably work - the challenge is probably sourcing one.

0 Likes

you are correct the laptop has no discrete GPU card according to HP Specs on your Laptop: https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c06401077

Maybe HP Partsurfer (HP Parts store) that sells official HP parts might be useful: https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=7MP80UAR

Generally most laptops have an Integrated Graphics (APU) with a discrete GPU card. The Discrete GPU card is used for graphic intensive loads that a APU wouldn't be able to do a good job. So I was surprised your laptop didn't come with a separate discrete GPU card.

EDIT: Found the Laptop motherboard with a Ryzen 3 3200U installed on it on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274885387414?epid=18037783258&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4000722496:g:9GEA...

0 Likes

Yep.

I already checked Partsurfer as well and the parts are like $200+.  No way am I spending that type of money on a board where it might fail the same way again in the future...
The only potential options in my mind are:
1)  Get HP or AMD to look at it - fix it
2)  See if the owner bought it with a credit card that extends the factory warranty
3)  Find a shop that can solder a new Ryzen to it.  May, I really do miss socketed CPUs.  I could really care less if they can make the laptop a few mm thinner - the loss of the ability to repair is not worth the cost.

Thank you again.

0 Likes

That is a good idea, I know that VISA extends any Warranty if the entire purchase was made on the Credit card.

The Ryzen 3 3200U is a OEM/TRAY processor and not sold at Retail stores. Unless the Repair shop can get the processor from AMD distributor directly.

Or see if you can purchase a cheap laptop motherboard with the same APU on it and then cannibalize the processor.

Found two really cheap laptop motherboards for less than $100.00 with the 3200u processor: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=motherboard+ryzen+3+3200u...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324715734209?hash=item4b9a90e4c1:g:1pYAAOSwLLhg8Fb1

I not sure if those 3200U processors are compatible with your laptop motherboard.

Anyways, I am out of suggestions.

Hope you are able to help your client.

Take care.

0 Likes

Yeah, it does sound like a hardware failure unfortunately.  Credit card company might be the best route...

For laptops and prebuilt desktops I usually advise people to spring for the extended warranty.  Laptops because a lot of heat in a small package and batteries (altho sometimes these have 'separate' warranties lol) and non replaceable components, and desktops because many of them use non standard components.  Like weird form factor mobos, proprietary PSU's (dell is notorious for this), etc.

Most of my clients have the budget to to spring for the Elite or Pro series laptops (which generally don't need extended warranties because they oftentimes come with 3 year from the factory), but this particular one had a set budget (a range I try to stay out of due to bad experiences in the past) and this looked like a great computer within the budget offered.  It was a really nice computer for the money right up until this failure...
I mean - Ryzen 3, 4gb memory (with a second slot), AC wireless, 120gb M.2 SSD, touchscreen for under $400 was a steal - specially at the beginning of the pandemic.  I couldn't touch any EliteBooks at that price anymore

I never assumed the Ryzen would be the weak link.

I also wish Chromebooks didn't exist as it has really messed with the good pricing that used to be available.  The thing with Chromebooks is they for sure aren't worth repairing when they're broken (unless it's something really simple like a screen / keyboard or touchpad) and that isn't the type of computing I want to promote.  People already throw all way too much decent hardware and we need to discourage the manufacturers from continuing to move towards completely throw-away hardware with no replaceable parts.  I guess we'll soon find out if the Ryzens are a problem when we start setting up a bunch of Ryzen 5 ProBooks at my work in the near future.

The way I see it if the computer manufacturers sells computer that can't be repaired (Throw away as you mentioned) then that means more profit for the computer manufacturers since the User needs to purchase another computer instead of getting it repaired.

A  > $400.00 laptop, in my opinion, isn't worth repairing since repairs will cost almost as much as the laptop unless you do it yourself and use cannibalized parts.

It is odd that a laptop less than 2 years old the processor would have gone bad. Processors generally are made to be quite sturdy and reliable especially laptop processors.

Anyway I am sure your client is appreciative that you are trying to get his budget laptop repaired without spending too much money on it.

0 Likes

I run my business on doing repairs in the range of $40-$150 typically - so I will admit that I am very much biased in saying that I don't like to see computers that can't be repaired.
Honestly, if we really think about - the real push behind integrated parts is cost of assembly for the manufacturers.
If HP can pay a laborer to install a board that already has the SSD, Memory, CPU, WI-Fi card already installed vs having to pay someone to install al those parts on a bare board - it's likely quite a bit cheaper for them.  It probably doesn't cost a lot more to have the motherboard manufacturer solder those extra couple parts on either.
We're in for some dangerous times with Windows 11 as the systems I have been repairing for years will finally be forced out - for better or for worse.  The advent of the SSD was a game changer with longevity of hardware and now hardware + software companies have to figure out new ways to get people to buy their stuff again.  Apple has been doing this for years mostly unbeknownst to consumers until they come to me with their failed 2 year old MacBook and I have to tell them, too bad, so sad.
If I can't get this system fixed now, this will be a perfect system to sit on until parts become cheaper and we can rebuild it again.