Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

vipgo21
Journeyman III

How to install Windows 11 on a 1950X

Hi , 

Is there any hope to get any help from AMD?

my Ryzen threadripper 1950x 16-core processor doesn't fit with the new windows 11,so  I tried to install the windows bypass but it failed  because of a booting issue (as the message error I got )

Please if there is any solution tell me, I'll take it at my own risk just help me to get windows 11.

my hardware:

motherboard: asus rog zenith extreme bios ver 0701
AMD Ryzen threadripper 1950x 16-core processor
speed 3700 MHz
memory 128 gb(DDR4 2133MHZ)

SSD:NVME SSD 960 PRO 512 GB M.2

1 Solution

This User with the same Threadripper was able to install Windows 11 on his unsupported Windows PC: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/windows-11-chipset-drivers-with-threadripper-1-gen-195...

Ask him how he was able to install Windows 11 on his 1950x Threadripper computer.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

This User with the same Threadripper was able to install Windows 11 on his unsupported Windows PC: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/windows-11-chipset-drivers-with-threadripper-1-gen-195...

Ask him how he was able to install Windows 11 on his 1950x Threadripper computer.

If you're planning to use the same old system, it's easier to continue to use windows 10. Windows 11 is relatively new and has teething issues. Kindly refer to  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

You may still use windows 10 up to 2025. By that time your CPU is too old just like mine - TR 1950X

0 Likes

rufus can be used to create a boot USB with W11 disabling requirements  for Safe Boot and TPM and more. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
Jygge
Journeyman III

Have the same motherboard as you with a x 1920 cpu I went into the bios enable TMP and safe fine then I did a new installation on win 11 they work still sitting and running on win 11 no problem.

0 Likes
G1n
Adept III

It's not worth, Microsoft already said updates won't be compatible with people running Windows 11 on non fTPM hardware, you'll get no updates, and when other components start attempting to use fTPM chip you'll run into stability issues.

This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for running Windows 11 - these requirements help ensure a more reliable and higher quality experience. Installing Windows 11 on this PC is not recommended and may result in compatibility issues. If you proceed with installing Windows 11, your PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. Damages to your PC due to lack of compatibility aren't covered under the manufacturer warranty. - Microsoft

chuck43105
Adept I

I just installed a new Samsung 980 PRO NVME (on my DIMM.2 ASUS board) which will be where I will be installing Windows 11 Pro. I also upgraded the BIOS to 2501 and enabled TPM 2.0 on my ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME motherboard with my AMD THREADRIPPER 1950X.

After installing Windows 11 Pro on my Samsung 980 PRO NVME, a dual boot automatically set itself up with Windows 10 Pro on my Samsung 960 PRO NVME and Windows 11 Pro on the Samsung 980 PRO NVME. Can't believe how fast Windows 11 booted up and is running on the Samsung 980 PRO NVME. When I selected Windows 11 from the dual boot menu, it booted up almost in the wink of my eye. All the Windows updates installed without any issues whatsoever. Try it. You will love it. I guarantee it.

Note: Even though Windows 10 Updates indicates "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11, it's running great (as noted above).

Been running win11 for a long time now the computer updated itself so that part works. The only downside I have received a small text in the bottom right corner where it complains about unknown cpu.

0 Likes

I have been looking into your issue and don't seem to have this same text displayed in the bottom right of either one of my displays about an unknown CPU. Are you running the same CPU as I have with the AMD 1950X? Are you running the 2501 BIOS? There is probably a registry key that keeps that from showing but I don't remember ever making that kind of change on my system. I'll keep looking and see if I can find anything about this kind of text being displayed.

0 Likes

Thanks, @chuck43105 for the optimistic posting! I was pessimistic about whether I could install Windows 11 on my Threadripper 1950X machine with a Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7 mainboard, because Windows 10 stated that my CPU did no qualify for Windows 11.

But after reading your comment and double-checking the implementation of TPM 2.0 in the latest BIOS versions for my mainboard, I tried to install Windows 11... and it went absolutely smoothly!

No issues at all! Windows 11 installed and works perfectly fine with my AMD Threadripper 1950X / Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7 mainboard having the latest BIOS F13a installed.

Threadripper 1950X is indeed fully supported by Windows 11 (if the BIOS of the mainboard has implemented TPM 2.0), and Windows 10 is just misleading.

It's really cool to see the PC boot so fast again.

Thanks a lot again for sharing your positive experience!

0 Likes

Thanks, @chuck43105  for the optimistic posting! I was pessimistic about whether I could install Windows 11 on my Threadripper 1950X machine with a G...byte X399 AORUS Gaming 7 mainboard, because Windows 10 stated that my CPU did no qualify for Windows 11.

But after reading your comment and double-checking the implementation of TPM 2.0 in the latest BIOS versions for my mainboard, I tried to install Windows 11... and it went absolutely smoothly!

No issues at all! Windows 11 installed and works perfectly fine with my Threadripper 1950X / G...gbyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7 mainboard having the latest BIOS F13a installed.

Threadripper 1950X is indeed fully supported by Windows 11 (if the BIOS of the mainboard has implemented TPM 2.0), and Windows 10 is just misleading.

It's really cool to see the PC boot so fast again.

Thanks a lot again for sharing your positive experience!

0 Likes