cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

towbar
Journeyman III

Crosshair x670e and ecc-ddr5 compatible Ryzens?

Which ryzen CPU's provide full and official support under warranty cover for every form of ECC known to man while also being fully compatible with the Asus Crosshair-x670e motherboard using Lenovo ddr5 ECC ram?

I've been trying to find out for over a month now with nothing but bum leads on assorted forums, which is why I just joined this one. Some cheesy merchants are letting on that all recent Ryzens do so which I haven't been able to validate AT ALL (i.e. they are lying) there being a world of difference between supporting ddr5 with its own form of local ECC and the conventional system ECC before, during and possibly after ddr5 with or without ddr5.

TIA

0 Likes
8 Replies
FunkZ
Grandmaster

The Ryzen processor product page indicates ECC Support in the Connectivity section of the specifications.

Ex. 7600X

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/desktops/ryzen/7000-series/amd-ryzen-5-7600x.html

FunkZ_0-1727622709297.png

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT

Thank you, that identifies 1 such Ryzen CPU. I just looked on a dealer page and they make no mention of ECC, if I were AMD I'd get on it and enforce some retail level description discipline (I mean they should do 'something' for markup they rake in). If the price were the same I'd definitely buy only directly from the manufacturer.

0 Likes

Yes, as you did not specify which Ryzen processor you were considering, I provided a link to 1 such example. AMD lists product specs for all their processors.

FunkZ_0-1728223210614.png

The cheesy merchants are correct that all recent Ryzen processors support ECC. Just because you haven't been able to validate it doesn't mean they're lying.

0 Likes

More than a month ago I started piecing together what would have become my next desktop computer at a cost of several thousand dollars. I began by buying an Asus/AMD GPU which did not work on my computer so I returned it. I looked at motherboards, CPU's and RAM with the intent of going full ECC. Merchants told me that if I want more detailed specs to go the manufacturer so I went reading their specs, manuals and such other documentation including BIOS manuals. I also fielded lots of questions on usenet. At the end of this episode (about two weeks ago) I concluded that most documentation was incomprehensible, incomplete and incoherent mumbo-jumbo that could only be characterised as also being more evasive than anything else written by people who haven't got the faintest clue about the english language or even about the most fundamental facets communication.

So my entire hardware upgrade project is now on indefinite hold until such time that I can talk to actual physical persons who have exactly the components I want to buy and who confirm for me that every form of ECC known to man has been working without any issues on that equipment combination as assembled for at least a year.

0 Likes

From what I have read about ECC  RAM and Ryzen Processor they all "Unofficially" support ECC RAM.

AMD doesn't officially says it supports ECC Ram on Ryzen processor but unofficially they do support ECC RAM. 

It all depends whether the Ryzen Motherboard supports ECC or not in its QVL Lists.

You will need to like at the Motherboard's QVL List for RAM to see if it lists any ECC RAM Part numbers.

Most Motherboards do include a few ECC RAM Part Numbers while other don't.

The ThreadRipper Processors, I believe, does officially support ECC RAM modules.  Most Threadripper Motherboard QVL List includes many ECC RAM part numbers.

NOTE: Just because a Ryzen 500, as an example only, Motherboard supports ECC Ram doesn't mean it supports all ECC RAM. Only those compatible with the motherboard and processor.

0 Likes

So let me ask you this question then, why do you want ECC memory on a desktop class PC?

Typically ECC memory is used on a server class system or at least a workstation machine where there is no tolerance for application instability due to memory errors.

Not that we want memory errors on our desktop machines either. But if they do happen, typically the application is able to recover itself, however an occasional application crash to desktop or BSOD reboot is not that big a deal for a single user.

What application do you intend to run that you feel necessitates ECC memory?

You call out specifically Asus Crosshair-x670e motherboard using Lenovo ddr5 ECC ram. Which AMD processor are you considering pairing with this combo? Because if it's any of the Ryzen 7000 series desktop processors, they all support ECC memory, as the product page for each of those processors indicates.

0 Likes
B1uedw01fie
Adept I

PCpartpicker.com will also help all of your compatibility questions. I built my whole computer with that website.

0 Likes

Thanks, been there already, impressive. When it comes to spending the levels of money that recent prices imply and until all the mostly automared 'build' sites come up with written compatibility warranties supported by 100% feedback reports I will not rely on anything other than official and verbose verfification from manufacturers themselves.

0 Likes