cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

okaygaming
Journeyman III

CPU throttling?

My r7 5800x is throttling whenever I am playing games. This also occurs while running cinebench test with all cores. Earlier, I was running cinebench to monitor my temps and frequencies. During the test, I am looking at task manager, ryzen master, and hwinfo. In ryzen master and hwinfo, the temps are seemingly ok usually around 50-70c but as soon as the temps past 70c the cpu immediately throttles (even though ryzen master says that the limit is 90c). The throttling is also visible in task manager by constant dips in cpu usage and the cpu frequency being at 1.23 ghz. It seems like the cpu performs perfectly well when it is below 70c but as soon as it pasts that threshold it begins to throttle. I am a bit confused, as other people usually see throttling at higher temps like 90 or above. I am unsure if it is a software issue or a hardware issue.

Here are my specs:

Ryzen 7 5800x
RTX 4070

32gb of ram
700w psu
GA-A230-S2H (rev 1.1)
NZXT aio
(this is a picture of task manager during a stress test)
image.png

0 Likes
2 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

okaygaming, there are several reasons for throttling, not just temperature. Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master while running Cinebench. Images of only RM, please.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Don't want to be the bad guy here but you have a board designed for the first gen Ryzen CPU and a very low end one. Although its compatible with the Zen3 family, its not the best match for a high end (at the time) CPU like the 5800X.

The image of the board shows a very weak VRM design and it could be unable to cope with the power that the CPU needs.

Try to clear CMOS to remove any weird setting or check, if you have available, the thermal limit. Not all A chipset boards are unlocked. This means you can't tweak the CPU.

Browse vendors page to see if theres a BIOS update that could help with this.

You can also, maybe try using Ryzen Master curve optimizer to see if it helps with the throttling.

By the Way, you are bottlenecking the system a little bit, example: the 4070 with PCIe Gen3. Sure, in most games you'll loose maybe just a tiny couple of fps but there is some games you can loose a lot more, depending on the resolution.

If you want to keep the system for a bit longer, try an affordable mid range board just to get by.

johnnyenglish_0-1707230817034.png

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes