cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Throwawaycpulight
Journeyman III

CPU light red and no boot after a week of use

I recently put together a PC with a R5 5600x, MSI MAG B550 (It had its bios updated in the store i bought it), 16gb of 3200mhz cl16, a 1050ti (Ye i know its bad), Be Quiet Pure Power 11 700w, and a Kingston m.2 ssd which after a week of it running perfectly and performing even above expectations just stopped today after i came home from school, no boot, no display out, just fan and rgb with the CPU LED instantly turning red after boot.

Im using the in-box heatsink as well (Noctuas are sold out here) and the case is pretty well ventilated.

0 Likes
2 Replies

This will be a lot of work but disconnect everything from your motherboard except PSU & CPU and power on your PC.

See if the Motherboard CPU Trouble light goes off and the RAM Trouble light turns on.

If the CPU Trouble light goes on and stays on then you either have a defective CPU or Motherboard.

I then would suggest to open a AMD Warranty if your Retailer/Vendors Return Date or Warranty has expired to see if you need to RMA your processor from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

If the CPU Trouble Light goes off and the RAM Trouble light goes on then install One RAM Stick and see if the RAM Trouble light goes off.

Basically by using this Troubleshooting method you are allowing BIOS to check your hardware to see which hardware is having issues.

When you power up BIOS automatically checks (POST) all the Hardware connected to the motherboard before allowing Windows or the current OS to load.

So when you disconnect everything except the PSU and CPU, BIOS will check the CPU and if it passes will turn off the CPU Trouble light and then see there is no RAM installed it will then turn on the RAM Trouble light and so forth.

Just keep adding hardware, GPU next, and so forth.

EDIT: Best way to check your processor is to install it on another compatible motherboard and see if it boots up or not or install another compatible processor on your motherboard and see if it boots up or not.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would do the same if the motherboard doesn't display a digital code, which is also helpful.
When I rebuilt my PC with Threadripper 1900X and GiBy X399 AORUS PRO X399 in November 20, the CPU did not start at all. I use GiBy AORUS LIQUID COOLER 240 with a USB port on the motherboard for cooling. After several unsuccessful measures by Gigabyte Support, I loosened the fastening screws of the heat sink and my PC booted for the first time. If I were you, I would use a better CPU cooler, preferably a water cooler. Although it is relatively expensive, it dissipates the heat from the housing. In the game I have a CPU temperature of approx. 64 degrees Celsius with normal fan setting, with better fan performance up to 60 degrees, which is very good for my CPU.

0 Likes