cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Mitul
Adept I

Cpu EDC is high

I got a ryzen 7 2700 cpu. I am having this issue where my cpu EDC in 99-100℅. I turned PBO disabled, made the minimum processor state 5%, changed windows power plan to balanced, high and power saver and nothing worked. Pc is shutting down or monitor goes off while cpu running and the cpu ezdebug light is on. So i am thinking it has to be a cpu issue or is it the power supply. I have got a thernaltake tr2 700w psu. This is driving me nuts..... Can someone provide some info???

0 Likes
6 Replies
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

CPU have 3 key limitation parameters PPT, TDC, EDC
PPT is power limit, meaning maximum amount of Watts (energy ===> heat) that can go through socket and chip
TDC is thermal current limit, meaning maximum amount of Amperes that can go through chip in thermally constricted cases (when VRM or chip are overheating). Used to limit down frequencies under heaviest of loads
EDC is electrical current limit, meaning maximum amount of Amperes that can go through chip in electrically constricted cases. It means middle workload that is working on highest frequencies possible. 

In most cases when full core load happens, CPU will hit EDC limit, unless you removed it completely in BIOS (set much higher than CPU can ever take). So hitting max EDC under load isn't an issue at all, moreover it is designed this way. 

But if your EDC limit is being hit at idle, there are a LOT of questions to be made, because with high EDC there must be quite high PPT (Watts = Volts * Amperes... If Volts are 0.8-1.5, and EDC is at least 90A it means that your CPU craves for 72-135W power constantly). Meaning heat and stuff... 
Could you catch hidden miner virus in this case? 

0 Likes

There are no viruses for sure. Cause the cpu usage is at 2-10% and gpu is not more than 10% in idle. 

misterj
Big Boss

Mitul, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM). Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

RM.PNGI just turned it on. Pc was not turning on like 4hours ago. I was trying to disable and enable PBO in bios and every time it hanged, i had to force it off. now EDC is low but if i open one chrome tab it goes high again and probably going to crash.

0 Likes

Thanks, Mitul. Something is gong on since five of you eight threads are running at 3625 MHz.  What does the Task Manager say? I would suggest you open an AMD Support request. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks

0 Likes