cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Barbone
Journeyman III

Amd Threadripper 1900x overheating

My threadripper 1900x rich 67 degrees when i am using cinebench r23.Is that normal?I am using a cooler Termalright Silver Arrow tr4 with a tdp 320w.Eny advice?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Your Tread Ripper Maximum Operating Temperature is 68c. This means your processor will start to throttle once it starts or reaches 68c to keep the temperature at 68c or below.

So at 67c it is still within its temperature operating range but to the point of starting to throttle or slow down.

Your Processor TDP Rating is 180 Watts so if your AIR CPU Cooler is rated at 320 Watts TDP then it should be able to keep your 1900x below 68c under any loads.

If in the past it didn't get any hotter than, let say 60c, under any loads then I suggest you inspect your Thermalake AIR CPU Cooler for proper operation.

Make sure the CPU Cooler fans are working at its proper speed when getting hot. That the AIR CPU Cooler fins are clean and not dusty or oily.

You might reapply the Thermal paste in case it is drying out and not being efficient in transferring heat from the processor to the heat sink.

Check for good Air flow inside your computer case and all of your computer case fans are working and not dirty. clean out all the computer case filters or screens if dirty or dusty.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Barbone
Journeyman III

I ment ANY ADVICE!

Your Tread Ripper Maximum Operating Temperature is 68c. This means your processor will start to throttle once it starts or reaches 68c to keep the temperature at 68c or below.

So at 67c it is still within its temperature operating range but to the point of starting to throttle or slow down.

Your Processor TDP Rating is 180 Watts so if your AIR CPU Cooler is rated at 320 Watts TDP then it should be able to keep your 1900x below 68c under any loads.

If in the past it didn't get any hotter than, let say 60c, under any loads then I suggest you inspect your Thermalake AIR CPU Cooler for proper operation.

Make sure the CPU Cooler fans are working at its proper speed when getting hot. That the AIR CPU Cooler fins are clean and not dusty or oily.

You might reapply the Thermal paste in case it is drying out and not being efficient in transferring heat from the processor to the heat sink.

Check for good Air flow inside your computer case and all of your computer case fans are working and not dirty. clean out all the computer case filters or screens if dirty or dusty.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

If you are concerned about high CPU temperatures, first you should determine if the CPU is in fact overheating.  Are all cores operating at their maximum frequency during Cinebench r23?  

Once I had an older AMD CPU that ran hot and I took the side panel off the case and clamped on a big 12" fan to blow air into the case.  That worked pretty well but of course it didn't look the best.  That was my 'Globe of Retribution' machine.

Air cooling before AIO coolers.Air cooling before AIO coolers.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Torque is another thing to consider when installing cooling devices to CPU's. Like mounting a wheel on a vehicle you follow a star pattern to maintain even torque proper wheel balance and to avoid stripping out threads.

When installing the mounting hardware for cooling devices CPU or VPU always go in an X shaped pattern and tighten only slightly past hand tightness pressures. This helps ensure even contact across the CPU VPU surface and helps to prevent stripping the treads on the normally brass screws. 

Check your fluid lines for kinks or blockage. Make sure your pump is operating within proper pressure levels (fluid flow rate).

You could have a CPU block that wasn't machined properly and could be restricting fluid flow as could be the radiator.