PC Processors

aderi
Adept I

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 is not Win11 compatible

WhyNotWin11.exe showed, that my
    Processor:  AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core (Summit Ridge) 3.200GHz
    Socket:        AM4 PGA-1331
    MotherB     MSI MS-7A38 (B350M Pro-Vdh)
is not Win11 conform, that is the proc is not in the list of Windows 11 supported AMD processors.

All the other requiments, like Architecture/Boot Methode/CPU Core Count/CPU Freq/ DirectX & WDDM/Disk Partition Type/RAM insdtalled/Secure Boot/Storage Avail/TPM Version are OK.

Anybody in the same situation and how to proceed, which processor to choose?

• Could it be the Ryzen 7 3700X processor?
    (Socket AM4, 2000 Series, more Cores (8>6), Threads(16>12), Base Clock(4.4>3.6), L3 Cache32>16), same TDP(65W))

Is it a possibility to change to this processor and just install the Win11 (with reserving Data) and the installation should deal with the new processor itself
or should I update/grade the BIOS in the MB previously? If yes, where can I find the new BIOS FW?

Thank you for your help in advance,

2 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

There is a September 2024 BIOS (beta version) here on the MSI support site.  I recommend you download that, extract the file to a clean USB drive, update your BIOS and make sure everything is working properly before you swap out the Ryzen 5 1600 CPU for a Ryzen 3000 series CPU.  I think the Ryzen 7 3700X would be a good choice.  I have done this to one of my older computers with the B350 chipset.  The 3000 series CPU that you choose should make sense for the amount of money you have and the limitations of your system (RAM, GPU, etc.); a good CPU cooler is also recommended but you can probably get by with the stock CPU cooler (Wraith).

Make sure you do the BIOS update before trying to swap out the CPU for the later version, because otherwise your motherboard won't recognize the newer CPU.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

All "Zen" AMD Processor doesn't meet the Windows 11 qualifications thus it isn't listed as being compatible.

According to your Motherboard's CPU LIST, I agree with Big A101, about the Ryzen 3700X. I upgraded my AM3+ Motherboard to a AM4 Motherboard and installed a 3700X processor. It has been a good processor without any issues.

Here is your Motherboard's CPU LIST: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B350M-PRO-VDH/support#cpu

As mentioned by BigA101 you will need to have BIOS Version 7A38vAJ.zip or newer installed for the 3700X to be recognized and boot up.

Looking at your Motherboard's BIOS Download page I see that 7A38vAJ is not even listed after 7A38vAH. So I would download the latest "BETA" BIOS version to make sure the new 3700X will be compatible.  

If you don't want to install a "BETA" BIOS version I would open a MSI SUPPORT Ticket and see why the "AJ" BIOS is not listed to be downloaded from their support site. 

Then see if your current RAM set part number is listed for your Motherboard's QVL LIST for RAM for the 3000 series AMD Processors (MEMORY BY RX3X00): https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B350M-PRO-VDH/support#mem