Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

geogh002
Adept I

6400 mhz CL32 on a Ryzen 5 7600x

Hello,

Will there be any issue with 32 GB of Ram (2x16) with 6400 mhz and CL 32 on a Ryzen 5 7600x? 

Been researching for this and and people are saying that does not support that much.. I already ordered mine and was wondering if I should refund.

Some say that even manually adjust them to 6000 which they're are saying is safe, it will run worse than a 6000 ram kit itself.. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
2DEZstb
Adept III

The 6400CL32 should run smoothly in the XMP profile, just for comparison. I run an R5 7600 with 7200CL34 in the XMP profile for months... without any problems. Then your 7600x  should be able to handle the 6400CL32. I also think that the 6400CL32 is a better solution than the sweet spot that is repeatedly mentioned by some YouTubers. But remember that with 6400MT/s you are already in the overclocking range and AMD only guarantees a stable and balanced system with 5200MT/s.

greetings

View solution in original post

10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

geogh002, some say the Earth is flat. AMD says "Max Memory Speed 2x1R DDR5-5200", here. Do an Expand All to see the memory. John.

0 Likes

Well, about this.. I am currently running a single 32 GB of ram 6000 Mhz and CL30 and it works just fine.

Just watched a video and the guy said that AMD cannot guarantee that every single CPU can run that much, some can, some cannot and that is why they list like that, because 5200 is safe for all of them. 

Now that reason I ordered these 2 sticks 6400 was that I accidentally bought this one stick I have, which is a single 32, thought it was a dual kit (2x16) which I will refund. And these 2 sticks were faster and cheaper. After I ordered them I've seen all these discussion about AM5 and I see that most of the issues were fixed with Bios updates.

2DEZstb
Adept III

The 6400CL32 should run smoothly in the XMP profile, just for comparison. I run an R5 7600 with 7200CL34 in the XMP profile for months... without any problems. Then your 7600x  should be able to handle the 6400CL32. I also think that the 6400CL32 is a better solution than the sweet spot that is repeatedly mentioned by some YouTubers. But remember that with 6400MT/s you are already in the overclocking range and AMD only guarantees a stable and balanced system with 5200MT/s.

greetings

geogh002
Adept I

Ye, well about the overclock, at the end of the day, they're suppose to work like that nowadays.

Even on the system I used before it ran for years with them overclocked at 2666 with the XMP profile only without any issues. 

In case I will experience any problem with 'em I will just keep using the auto overclock profile but with a lower speed. As for now it works great with 6000, that will probably be the minimum that will work. 

Will see once I get the order. Thank you!

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Have you checked your boards QVL?

If its there, it was tested and should work. If its not, it may work but not supported by the board vendor.

Have you tried bumping your kit up? I could lower my gskill from CL 36 to CL32 stable, i'm even trying lower but more than 6000 its just not stable for me.

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes

Any idea where could I check that?

I got a Gigabyte B650M D3HP AX paired with a single DIMM ADATA LANCER RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL30 (running without any issue on the EXPO profile with 6000 mhz), which I will refund (as I said in one of the comments, I thought is a dual kit, that is the reason I am refunding) and get this Dual Kit Patriot Viper Venom 6400MHz CL32

0 Likes
FunkZ
Grandmaster

AMD stated that DDR4-3600 was the "sweet spot" for Vermeer processors in coupled mode (1800MHz memory and fabric) even though some users were able to manually tweak their memory and get up to 1900MHz or slightly more.

Likewise AMD has stated that DDR5-6000 is the "sweet spot" for Raphael. It may be possible to get DDR5-6400 to work but then it may require manual tweaking.

My recommendation would be if you want to simply select the XMP/EXPO profile and be done, go with 6000.

It remains to be seen how high Granite Ridge can go but some reviews have reported DDR5-8000 generally works.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT

Interesting. You also think that if I just use the 6400 kit and lower the freq to 6000 manually one the EXPO profile would cause lower performance than an actual 6000 ram kit? 

I also asked Jason from PC Builder on his latest video today about RAM and said that is not the best option, but the performance difference isn't that much.

No idea if he meant that is not worth getting a 6400 CL32 over a 6000 CL30 because the 6400 ones would perform a bit better or he meant that the 6000 one is better in performance as the "sweet spot", but I actually got these for cheaper. That is why I even went for these for the better stats and the lower price.

0 Likes

The "sweet spot" refers to the highest frequency that is easily configured and works reliably for practically all systems. ie. What is the best speed memory kit to buy that you simply select an XMP/EXPO profile and be done. It gives you close to the max available performance, won't require any tweaking and won't have any issues.

It's not an indication that the "sweet spot" is some magic frequency that performs better than other speed kits nor does it take into account differences in timings. If you're willing to accept, or actually prefer to, make manual adjustments to speed and timings then get any kit you want. You can attain better performance at the cost of time and effort spent and possibly dealing with sporadic issues.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes
geogh002
Adept I

I finally got the 6400 CL32 Dual Kit, got a nice deal for Lexar ARES RGB White.

I am happy that I got white + rgb, which I could not find anywhere for the same price of any other good RAM dual kit.

There is no issue for now, only got the XMP profile, not the XPO, but don't think that is a big deal, I think it does not even matter anyway.