cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

khajihana
Journeyman III

What's your experience switching to AMD video cards?

I currently have a 5900x CPU & love it, no issues! I haven't had an AMD video card since the old days & I really want to buy a 7900XTX to replace my 3080 10gb which screwed me over on forza because of the low video RAM...ug. What has been everyone's experience switching sides with drivers, crashing or just issues in general? I REALLY wanna try and switch but I fear I might regret it with alot of things I've read over the years with AMD cards. Thanks guys!

0 Likes
9 Replies
PythonCoderPro
Challenger

If 10gb of vram is low for you, then I feel ashamed with my 2GB of vram!

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home
0 Likes
jycannel
Adept II

I switched form a TITAN XP to a 7900XTX. Works great for flat screen games but is god awful for VR. Mainly an issue with RDNA 3 though. If you dont play VR then the 7900XTX is great.

0 Likes

In principle, I agree with your answer but with the latest patch (23.7.1) some VR games are running great for me (Skyrim & Boneworks). Sadly HL Alyx is still broken. I'm running a 7900 xtx with an HP G2 for VR games. Maybe other combinations are still working worse?

0 Likes

I just responded to you on another post, I also have a G2 and the issue is if you run below your framerate cap you experience high frametime deltas, resulting a large amount of stuttering, This is a known issue in RDNA 3. Skyrim and boneworks are not hard games to run thus you are able to run at the framerate cap of 90fps which removes the aforementioned issue.

If you run below your framerate cap by around 10% you will experience rather substantial frametime spikes as a result. To fix your experience in HLA i would use radeon chill to limit your max fps to just below your avergae fps you experience in that game. This moves your framerate cap lower and thus allows you to have smoother frametimes.

Here is an example of high frametime deltas. Ive been posting this everywhere lol.

Screenshot 2023-07-05 090250.png

0 Likes
supreme
Adept II

I switched from an RX 580 to a RX 7600. I had some hiccups due to the 7600 being a newer card, but you shouldn't have much of an issue if it's a card that has already been out for a while--at least 6 months.

[ASRock B450m/ac R.20 | 5800X3D | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 3200 16GBx2 | RX 7600]
0 Likes
wallmoura
Adept II

I switched from a 1050ti to RX 6600XT and it has been wonderful (got a 5600X also)! But over the past few months I started to have issues with Unreal Engine games so I'm bit of mixed with AMD for now. 

0 Likes

I have just bought a nice AMD Radeon RX6950XT. Its an amazing card, looks great in the box, looks great out the box, it even looks great when its in my machine, and on the first day of use the FPS in games was amazing, but now I struggle to het passed 60 FPS. The card is 3 days old, Go figure, and nothing had changed since I first put it into the motherboard. It has never crashed or hinted at any problems but its so bad I may as well go back to my 1660Ti as I was getting better FPS in all games.

0 Likes

Yeah I thought something was wrong too when I ran benchmarks on some older games... but it turns out it was some eco-settings in radeon software... it has so many menus and it took a while to find it. + many strange interactions with monitor thru HDMI cable, hetting them to agree on base frequency above 60 was met with some resistance. + possible interactions with videosync/freesync. I was capped initially to some 61-63 fps in even simple old games which should product 100-200fps. Once I deactivated the eco/frame limiter (Chill function) it all came back.

0 Likes

I have deactivated Chill function and it still hits just 60 frames. The crazy thing is I haven't changed anything since I first installed the software. I really do get sick or this constant crap when a great game which will hit 300 FPS+ is destroyed by a superior graphics card which has software which does not make sense or is so overly complicated that it becomes pointless to use. It should be as simple as, Install drivers, install software which increases FPS, and Fan control. Everything else is just smoke and window dressing

0 Likes