cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

DocNessuno
Journeyman III

Sapphire 7900XTX dead within a couple hours of use?

New build assembled this Friday, updated motherboard's BIOS first then proceeded with Win11 installation, followed by update of various drivers (I believe including chipset) and some initial software installation (this of course included several restarts). Brief gaming session (couple of hours) on Mechwarrior 5 went well (logged for later analysis), after which I browsed the internet while talking on Discord.

Suddenly graphical artifacts started to appear on the screen, the cursor became sluggish and, after waiting a while without any improvement, I decided to restart the PC. Now the PC is not POSTing and the VGA led is lit on the motherboard (note: the card's lights turn on and there is fan spin, when left on "failed boot" for a couple minutes the backing plate becomes lukewarm to the touch).

If I remove the card the system boots on integrated graphics.

The card shows no sign of damage to a visual inspection, the log mentioned before has mostly constant 60 fps, GPU temp in the 47-58 range, hotspot temp in the 56-64 range but with spikes up to 84 degrees, board power consumption in the 70-190 range with spikes over 400W (corresponding to the hotspot ones).

System specs:

• GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX (BIOS F8a)
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 - 64GB (2x32) 6000MHz CL30
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i (white label)

Troubleshooting done so far:

• Double checked the GPU-PSU cables, (all are properly seated on both ends)
  • Used a different DisplayPort as well as an HDMI port
  • Re-seated the card in the PCIe slot
  • Switched to alternate card BIOS

Anything else I could try before Sapphire is open for business?
I have been waiting for the components of this build for literally over a month and this ruined my weekend.

5 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Hi, at this time according to your descriptions, it does not fare well for the card. 

Try leaving the card on the computer, hook the DP to the board to boot with iGPU, if you get in windows, check in device manager if the card is there. 

OR

Can you try it on another system? A friends computer maybe?

Good luck 

The Englishman

Overlaying the entire PCB, the die casted Frontplate Heatsink cools the VRM, Memory and Chokes resulting in superior heat dissipation for top-notch airflow and ..

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

Your troubleshooting was sufficient. It's dead. The only additional thing I would try is another older GPU to see if PC POSTs to double check the PSU and pcie slot, and I am assuming it will.

jerrylzy
Journeyman III

I faced the same issue. My Sapphire 7900 XTX Nitro+ died roughly two days after installation. It started to crash or blackscreen after a 3DMark run, and then it would blackscreen when I start a game in CSGO. I could play Battlefield V, but there were lots of stutters. Then, I did a fresh Windows installation with the latest AMD driver. Didn't help. Then, I started to even have issues entering Windows which sometimes showed an error related to memory. I was suspecting that my CPU's memory controller was faulty and wouldn't run with a 32GB x 2 kit at stock settings (4800MHz) until I installed my old 3080 TI. Now, everything works flawlessly.

Same CPU and memory as yours.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It does sound like the video card has died a premature death.  While running on the integrated graphics from the motherboard, did you check Display Manager to see if your video card shows up?  If it does, right-click the ICON and select update driver to see if it runs.  Let Windows install its driver and then connect back to the Video card.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes