cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

YeetOrBeYurt
Adept I

New 6700xt Display flickering

Just bought a new AMD 6700xt, got in put in and properly uninstalled the driver for old NVidia card. Everything is seemingly working fine except for this screen flicker. I have 2 monitors plugged in a 2440x1440p and a 1920x1080, however it only makes the main monitor (1440p) flicker; its extremely quick and looks like a black and white static like an old tv. I haven't noticed any major or even minor game graphic errors yet. doesn't happen very frequently maybe 1-3 times a minute and seems to slow down a tiny bit after running for some time. 

17 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

I have an RX 6700 XT and have Adrenaline 22.3.1..

I have not updated to newer ones yet, waiting for the next WHQL as there were some problems for the 6700 in some of the drivers after 22.3.1.

What PSU are you using and make sure it has separate pcie cables, not a splitter cable.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
YeetOrBeYurt
Adept I

PSU is the corsair cx650m. and by splitter cable do you mean a single cable with the double 6pin PCIe w/ an extra 2 pin on each? and so I should use 2 seperate 8pin connectors ?

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

Yes, you need to use 2x separate cables.

I do think you would need to change the PSU, get a fully modular Corsair, Seasonic or other good make. I would also make it 850w Gold or better.. Your PSU is the most important part and needs money spent on it..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
MADZyren
Paragon

You did check from Windows monitor settings, it is running at 144Hz and has not defaulted to 60Hz after changing GPU?

monitor caps at 60hz

0 Likes

I don't quite get what you mean with a screenflicker that looks like a static. Can you get a picture of that flicker? You need to usea camera as screenshot can't record it.

- GPU VRAM overclocking or instability can cause rapid flickering
- broken monitor cable or one with poor shielding running close to something like a subwoofer, active speaker, transformer
- strong magnet close to monitor used to cause similar thing with old fashioned tube monitors

CaligoVereor
Challenger

Try using older drivers, the newest ones have all sorts of flickering issues especially if you have 2 monitors. I'm guessing the monitors also have different refreshrates? The new drivers have been problematic for over half a year now and in patch notes Known Issues they marked these things as targeted to be fixed in next update, so here's hoping.

I'd recommend trying 22.2.1 drivers because for me personally (and for many others from what I've seen) that is the latest non-flickery one. Alternatively 22.5.1 is a bit newer and some people had luck with that one. Do that before you go off buying new PSUs or whatever. While the advice is generally good I myself have been running a 6700XT from a split cable and while that is suboptimal it's not 100% an issue unless you're runing something super powerhungry like a 3090 or 3080ti and so on.

will attempt, thanks ya

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

version of your gpu driver?

most recent one, im gunna try switching back to the older ones as mentioned above this 

0 Likes
Raultxo
Journeyman III

Same problem here but it happens all the time to me, I can't even use Chromium-based browsers cause the main monitor flicker like 10 times per second. I've tried fully unistalling drives, reinstalling them, using older versions but nothing.

I have 2 monitos, both 1920x1080, main one 144hz DP and the other 60hz hdmi

we will figure this out my guy

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

I had a similar issue with my 6700xt running 2 monitors

Samsung 27" 144hz 4ms 1440p

Acer 24" 60hz 1080p

I merely changed the resolution on the Samsung from 144 to 120 ..and then back to 144 .. even though it said it was 144 to begin with, changing resolutions and saving settings and then changing back to what it's supposed to be reset or something and that did the trick for me .. my issue wasn't as severe as yours seems to be though

Other things to do/try

Make sure you are running 2 separate cables from your PSU to each power input on your GPU.. don't use the 2nd power connector off of same power cable , run a separate power cable and leave the 2nd PCIe 6/8 pin connector unused off of each power cable

I'd recommend (as others have) upgrading your PSU to an 850wtt 80+ Gold or better rating 

Update the BIOS on your motherboard

Update your chipset drivers from AMD.com or Intel.com (I don't know the rest of your PC specs)

Run the program called "DDU" to remove all things Nvidia .. and AMD gpu drivers .. reboot after each and THEN install latest drivers from AMD.com

Make sure your Windows install is up to date

..if none of that helps, then try a different monitor cable

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Coming from Nvidia I learned that AMD cards are very sensitive to cable quality and the one I was using with my gtx 1080 was not good enough for my rx 6900 xt so I upgraded to stop frequent black screens no matter what I was doing.  Nothing like being right in the middle of a round of world of warships and have the screen blank out while in battle.  I have two ultrawides, primary 3840 x 1600 and 3440 x 1440 both at 144hz and ended up upgrading my cables to 8k shielded units from cable matters.

Problems usually have more than one cause and I also learned that the card was very power sensitive so I changed the cables to change the power distribution to isolate the pcie cables from any other peripheral draw and finally just bought a new PS so the pcie cables all had their own 12v rails without any power sharing.

Lots of good ideas being shared in this thread so good luck resolving your issue.

macchky
Adept II

Try AMD Software 22.5.2 or 22.7.1. Those are stable for most users.

0 Likes
qtsalbird
Adept I

Did you ever figure this issue out? I bought a 7900 XT a couple days ago and it had this SAME issue, and I couldn't find out anyone else with this issue until I found this thread. I run 1 1440p 165hz as main and 1080p 144hz and changing refresh rates didn't fix it. it flickered only on the main display. When I unplugged one monitor, it would work fine, no flickering anymore. I have a new 7900 XT coming in because I thought it might be the card itself. I also have a new DisplayPort cable coming in. If the problem isn't fixed, I feel like it is a driver issue...

0 Likes

Turn off FreeSync in the AMD software, and if possible, on the monitor as well if it supports it. I just did it at this moment, and it seems like the issue has stopped. I'm not saying it's a 100% solution.

0 Likes