cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

MSI RX 6600 Fans running at full rpm all the time

Hi!

I have a msi rx 6600 and i had it for a few months now , the fans only spun while gaming or when temp crossed 55-60 C, but 2 days ago the fans are always spinning at full rpm after turning on the pc even while idle, no background task is running, i tried re-installing adrenaline using amd cleanup utliity but it didn't worked.Screenshot 2024-08-20 171109.pngScreenshot 2024-08-20 171054.png 

0 Likes
14 Replies

when you removed the AMD driver and just the Windows MS BASIC DISPLAY Driver is being used does the GPU card fans still max out in speed?

If the fan speed goes back to normal without the AMD driver installed that would seem to indicate some setting in Radeon Settings is overriding your GPU fans to run at Max speed all the time since the GPU temperature are way below the Zero RPM limit.

Either try installing the latest AMD driver or a previous version than the one you had installed to see if the same issue occurs.

Also make sure you don't have any 3rd party apps installed and running that might be overriding the AMD GPU Fan settings.

On your next reply please supply your PC information.

Yes when i removed the amd driver the fans were still spinning at max, I'll try to downgrade to a previous version of adrenaline to see if that works. 

I had afterburner installed with adrenaline but i removed it but still the fans were spinning. 

PC Info : Ryzen 5 3600 

Gigabyte b450m H

Msi mech rx 6600 

Easeus eb550 psu 

0 Likes

Update: i installed adrenaline 24.5.1 using Amd cleanup utility and still the fans are spinning at max I'm attaching the fan curve tuning screenshots 

Other than installing and re-installing drivers is there any other way to fix this? Could there be an issue with the PSU? or any other component?

P.S: I have these settings at default, and I have never tinkered with any settings before.  

Screenshot 2024-08-22 142158.pngScreenshot 2024-08-22 142218.png

0 Likes

Try setting a Fan Curve profile in Radeon Settings and see if the GPU fans start acting normal again.

didn't work

Screenshot 2024-08-23 153043.png

By any chance before you uninstalled MSI app did you reset your GPU card back to "Default" state ?

Also in Radeon Settings you can also Reset your GPU  card back to its "Default" state.

It is possible that MSI settings are still active in your GPU card even though you have remove MSI app from your PC. Thus using the MSI app to reset your GPU card again back to its "Default" state.

Try run Windows in a Clean Desktop which is similar to running Windows in Safe Mode but in a normal Windows environment.

This will disable all 3rd party Startups and just leave enabled all Microsoft drivers. Don't disable any AMD drivers though.

Once you boot into a Clean Windows Desktop with the AMD driver enabled see if the GPU card fans start working normally. It is easy to do and undo: How to perform a clean boot in Windows 

This would eliminate any 3rd party drivers or app that might be affecting your GPU card.

If that doesn't work then I would open a AMD SUPPORT Ticket and see what they suggest.

Otherwise some other User with more experience with AMD Radeon Settings and Gaming and GPU settings can try to assist you.

First I apologise for not replying on time, i am not using the pc much nowadays.

Secondly while un installing msi app i didn't care to notice any gpu default state option so i can't say i did that, I will update after running a clean boot and see what happens.

Thanks by the way. 

FunkZ
Grandmaster

When I upgraded to 24.7.1 my 7900XT fans ran constantly at 500+ RPM and board power at idle increased to 40W.

I downgraded to 24.5.1 and Zero RPM is working again and idle power is back to 15W.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT

I'll see if downgrading the driver works and will update you. 

0 Likes

nope went to 24.5.1 still the fans are at max

0 Likes
Tatsude
Adept I

Look inside the case (computer) if you have a fan hub and see if removing it from the hub solves the problem.

I look into that. Thanks. 

0 Likes

I've been investigating and I don't know if the brand has anything to do with it, but I have similar problems and the only solution was to change the thermal paste, but I recommend that it be the last option because of the warranty. 

I'll leave you this link from reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/fyrzjb/rtx_fan_revving_issue_resolved/

They are not the same graphic, I saw the screenshot, but I hope it helps you. I leave you the post, you can see that there were people with the same problem.

I will keep searching just to find what could really help you.

Thanks for that, I really appreciate it. Will update if the problem is fixed. 

0 Likes