cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

RJ56Hours
Journeyman III

7900xtx experiencing random "driver timeout"

As titled, 5800x3d, 32GB ram@3200, 7900xtx, tuf x570-plus, Corsair psu (in use for 6yrs). Had this card for nearly 8 months, only been having freezes or crashes recently. Randomly while gaming, it would freeze the screen for a couple seconds w/sound, then go into black screen w/out sound. Then sometimes I could call up manager and terminate the game I was running, or when I couldn't, I would need to do a pc restart. But whenever the pc didn't need a restart, I would see the AMD "driver timeout" message, and in some games I play, namely Horizon Forbidden West & Valorant would have a message of their own, sort of saying "Your video driver is too old, please update to latest".

However, I have twice, used DDU in safemode to remove Nividia and AMD drivers, and did a fresh install of the latest AMD drivers. Once after I switched my 2080ti to 7900xtx 8 months ago, and once today.

I also did a run of memtest and it passed. MB bios was also updated to the latest. All default clock for everything. The temps I have in games for cpu and gpu are ~70 degree Celsius & ~50 degree Celsius. The temps are pretty stable and within acceptable limits.

I'm now completely out of ideas, would appreciate if there's any advice at all. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
2 Replies
432hz
Challenger

I'd try to identify any driver updates that happened prior to the issues starting.

• AMD GPU drivers?
  • AMD chipset drivers?
  • AMD ryzen master?
  • Windows Update?
  • Is Windows Update for drivers disabled?

You mentioned you clean installed the latest AMD GPU drivers once 8 months ago and the latest AMD GPU drivers once today. If those were 2 different driver versions, I'd try clean installing the one from 8 months ago that was working. Apparently there's been some issues with the 24.x.x version of the drivers out there.

0 Likes

AMD GPU drivers & AMD chipset drivers & AMD ryzen master are all auto installed during Adrenaline setup. I had already DDU ALL AMD drivers yesterday. Therefore, it should be clear of AMD stuff and I did a fresh install of AMD Adrenaline yesterday.

Windows Update? up-to-date

Is Windows Update for drivers disabled? haven't touched this

But I think this issue started appearing after updating Adrenaline to the latest vr last month, I'll try to downgrade it to the last stable one for me ig.

0 Likes