cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

bigcountry
Journeyman III

7800XT suddenly not detected - requires full driver reinstall

Hello all, I've been having an issue with my 7800XT (Powercolor hellhound).  I've seen all the issues described here about crashing to a black screen, and mine is somewhat similar but a bit different as well.  The issue happens randomly, sometimes in-game, sometimes just navigating my desktop, and sometimes when I'm away from the computer entirely. 

Suddenly both of my displays (both connected via dp) will suddenly go black, but my computer will not crash.  If I'm playing a game, or listening to music, watching youtube, etc. I can still hear all the sounds of them, i.e. Windows has not crashed, it seems my GPU is suddenly just not being detected.  I can shut down my computer and reboot it with my power button, which will usually land me back at my desktop.  Sometimes in 800x600, but sometimes still at 1400.  Task manager indicates no GPU whatsoever, and when I try to launch Adrenaline I'm met with "The version of AMD software that you have launched is not compatible with your currently installed AMD graphics driver."

To fix this issue of the GPU no longer being detected, every time I have one of these crashing episodes, I have to uninstall Adrenaline + display drivers, and reinstall them completely.

Some things of note - 3 out of the 6 times this has happened was when the computer was idling and may have happened around the 10 minute mark when windows is told to put the displays into auto-sleep.  I disabled auto-sleep settings for display adapters to try and mitigate this, but the other 3 times i've had this issue I was either just watching youtube videos or gaming.

Windows 10
7800XT - Powercolor Hellhound
AMD Ryzen 9 3900
32GB Ram
Corsair RMX Series RM750X
TUF Gaming 570-x Motherboard

0 Replies