Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

colmars
Adept I

unable to install the chip driver software

Here is a screen dump of the installation process:

colmars_0-1725655449924.png

I have a motherboard Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS with a cpu AMD Ryzen 7 5800x.

I regularly face to intempestive reboots without any warning and I suspect a cpu overtemperature issue, due to a malfunction of the chipset driver I'm unable to install.

Can someone give me some hint on what I could do to solve my problem?

If this can help, I can provide the install software log but is there a way to attach a file with this message?

Many thanks in advance

0 Likes
1 Solution
colmars
Adept I

Thanks a lot for all these advices and comments. I saw indeed the possibility to modify the fan speed and I was trying the "Turbo" option, but this is quite noisy. If, in the future, I encounter again the same issue, I can maybe replace the current ventirad with a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black whiwh has a NSPR of 167, hoping this could cool the cpu to avoid overtemperature reboot.

Thanks again for your help and, if you agree, I will close this item.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
FunkZ
Grandmaster

See previous thread involving PSP Driver failure to install, related to motherboard BIOS version.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-psp-11-0-device-has-status-device-power-failure/m-...

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

I successfully upgraded the Bios version of the motherboard, but I still have a 'fail' status for the installation of the chipset driver. At least, that's what I think, but when looking at the logs:

- this is the summay log:

AMD Chipset Software Install Summary

Name : AMD Processor Power Management Support
Version : 8.0.0.13
Install : Fail

- and this is the end of the full log of the installation:

=== Logging stopped: 09-09-24 14:37:03 ===
MSI (c) (54:1C) [14:37:03:560]: Note: 1: 1728
MSI (c) (54:1C) [14:37:03:560]: Product: AMD_Chipset_Drivers -- Configuration completed successfully.

MSI (c) (54:1C) [14:37:03:561]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: AMD_Chipset_Drivers. Product Version: 6.07.22.037. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.

MSI (c) (54:1C) [14:37:03:562]: Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI (c) (54:1C) [14:37:03:562]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
MSI (c) (54:1C) [14:37:03:563]: MainEngineThread is returning 0
=== Verbose logging stopped: 09-09-24 14:37:03 ===

Apparently, the summary says 'no' and the full log says 'yes'. Which one do I trust? And how to be sure the correct version is installed? If I look at the installed software version number, that's what I get:

colmars_0-1725887808709.png

But I see nowhere release 8.0.0.13, what is mentionned in the summay log. 

Any idea?

0 Likes

Another search yields this thread that claims Ryzen 5000 series processors do not support AMD Processor Power Management Support.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/chipset-installation-fail/m-p/518661

0 Likes
colmars
Adept I

According to what you say, I should not worry about the fact that the AMD Processor Power Management driver cannot be installed? Then there is no process to manage the processor power? Only an overtemperature shutdown?

0 Likes
colmars
Adept I

Can someone tell me how I can manage the power of the processor, if he doesn't support the AMD Processor Power Management? Or I don't have to worry about?

0 Likes
FunkZ
Grandmaster

Open Windows Device Manager and check if there are any hardware components that indicate a warning or show as disabled or unknown.

If everything appears normal then the chipset package has installed all the drivers that your system needs. A "FAIL" to install doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem, it can also mean it is not required for your system and was skipped.

Why don't you start over with your problem statement. Your system is sporadically rebooting. You suspect it is overheating, so provide the evidence of overheating. What are your temperatures? What CPU cooler do you have? What are your system components? What case and fans do you have?

0 Likes

I checked the device manager and there was no warning at all. To tell you the truth, I had no sporadic reboot since a while and, more precisely, since I updated both the bios and the gpu driver. When I had these issues, I noticed the cpu temperature was above the 70°C almost all the time. Hence my question if there was some tool to manage the power of the cpu. But I would say now, so far so good.

For information:

- CPU temperature is now below the 50°C (unless solicited by heavy applications); was quite often above the 70°C before. The cpu is a AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

- I have 2 fans: 1 at the top and 1 and the bottom of the case, 1 ventirad Noctua NH-U9S for the cpu and 2 fans to cool the memory modules

- the case is a Lian-Li O11 Dynamic

As I understand from you, there is no real tool to "manage" the temperature of the cpu.

I want also to thank you for the information and advice you gave me.

If Device Manager does not indicate any problems, and the sporadic reboots have ceased happening since updating the BIOS and drivers, then it seems all is working as expected.

The 5800X is rated at 105W TDP with a 142W PPT, it will run hot. The NH-U9S is rated at 93 NSPR by Noctua. This cooler is barely adequate for the job. If you run a full core load such as Cinebench Multi it will likely hit thermal limits. (95°C)

The Noctua fans are PWM controlled, they increase speed as temperature goes up. Your motherboard has some built-in fan curves such as "Silent" "Normal" and "Full" or can be manually adjusted, however these are all working within the constraints of the cooler.

Within your Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS BIOS settings for PBO you should find options for adjusting limits that control how high the processor will increase frequency, power and temperature. PBO is the "tool to manage" the temperature of the CPU. This is optional. There are factory limits that prevent damage from occurring. You could just let it boost up to the limit and it will be fine. If you are interested in tweaking these settings, you can watch this video. It is for 7000 series processors but the same settings apply to the 5000 series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOYYHNGlLs

0 Likes
colmars
Adept I

Thanks a lot for all these advices and comments. I saw indeed the possibility to modify the fan speed and I was trying the "Turbo" option, but this is quite noisy. If, in the future, I encounter again the same issue, I can maybe replace the current ventirad with a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black whiwh has a NSPR of 167, hoping this could cool the cpu to avoid overtemperature reboot.

Thanks again for your help and, if you agree, I will close this item.