cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

cecyoung
Journeyman III

Radeon HD 7850 drivers

We have a VisionTek Radeon HD7850 Video card installed in an Intel DX79TO desktop motherboard. We upgraded Windows 11, in January 2024. The Display adapter in no longer recognized by Windows and is listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", and the dual monitor arrange does not work (one monitor detected and is replicated on the second monitor). All the original Intel MB drivers are properly installed and there are no errors or warnings in Device Manager. We downloaded various AMD drivers for the HS 7850 card and none works. 

0 Likes
3 Solutions
FunkZ
Grandmaster

Kinda surprised Microsoft didn't warn about that HD 7850 and prevent upgrading to Windows 11. That card is over a decade old and no longer supported, there are no Windows 11 drivers for it. Assuming you tried the last driver version available for Windows 10 which was 22.6.1 from June 2022? You might also try the Pro driver but that is older yet. If neither will work with Windows 11 then the only solution is to go back to Windows 10 or replace the card.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT

View solution in original post

0 Likes

The HD GPU Series is a very old GPU cards thus not supported with AMD Driver updates.

The last update is for Windows 10 and there are no Windows11 updates: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000-series/amd-radeon-hd-7850

If the Windows 10 AMD Driver doesn't work or isn't compatible in Windows 11 then you have a few choices:

1- See if Windows Update will install a compatible AMD Driver for your HD7850.

2- Try installing the last Windows 10 AMD Driver in "Compatibility Mode" and see if that helps any.

3- Use R.ID AMD Drivers that has modified AMD drivers to work for old unsupported GPU cards like yours. "USE AT YOUR RISK": https://www.amernimezone.com/

4-Downgrade to Windows 10 again, but not really a good option.

5-Upgrade your HD7850 to a supported AMD GPU Card. At the moment all "RX" series GPU cards are still supported but some of the earlier RX series GPU cards may have limited support though.

0 Likes
cecyoung
Journeyman III

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I have tried everything to resolve this HD7850 not being detected. No matter which driver I installed, including the ones from the R.ID site, the result is the same. Near the completion of the driver installation, the screen goes black nd I do not know if the driver was completely installed. After waiting about 3 mins each time, I powered off and rebooted normally. To a black screen. Booting to safe mode and checking Device Manager shows the HD 7850 shows as the detected display. Uninstalling the HD 7850, reverts the display to Microsoft Standard Display. After rebooting, I can use the computer. However, one monitor is detected in the dual monitor setup. It is time for me to think of rebuilding this box with a new hardware (MB, processor, RAM) to match todays Windows 11 23H2 and later OS requirement. 

3 Replies
FunkZ
Grandmaster

Kinda surprised Microsoft didn't warn about that HD 7850 and prevent upgrading to Windows 11. That card is over a decade old and no longer supported, there are no Windows 11 drivers for it. Assuming you tried the last driver version available for Windows 10 which was 22.6.1 from June 2022? You might also try the Pro driver but that is older yet. If neither will work with Windows 11 then the only solution is to go back to Windows 10 or replace the card.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

The HD GPU Series is a very old GPU cards thus not supported with AMD Driver updates.

The last update is for Windows 10 and there are no Windows11 updates: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000-series/amd-radeon-hd-7850

If the Windows 10 AMD Driver doesn't work or isn't compatible in Windows 11 then you have a few choices:

1- See if Windows Update will install a compatible AMD Driver for your HD7850.

2- Try installing the last Windows 10 AMD Driver in "Compatibility Mode" and see if that helps any.

3- Use R.ID AMD Drivers that has modified AMD drivers to work for old unsupported GPU cards like yours. "USE AT YOUR RISK": https://www.amernimezone.com/

4-Downgrade to Windows 10 again, but not really a good option.

5-Upgrade your HD7850 to a supported AMD GPU Card. At the moment all "RX" series GPU cards are still supported but some of the earlier RX series GPU cards may have limited support though.

0 Likes
cecyoung
Journeyman III

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I have tried everything to resolve this HD7850 not being detected. No matter which driver I installed, including the ones from the R.ID site, the result is the same. Near the completion of the driver installation, the screen goes black nd I do not know if the driver was completely installed. After waiting about 3 mins each time, I powered off and rebooted normally. To a black screen. Booting to safe mode and checking Device Manager shows the HD 7850 shows as the detected display. Uninstalling the HD 7850, reverts the display to Microsoft Standard Display. After rebooting, I can use the computer. However, one monitor is detected in the dual monitor setup. It is time for me to think of rebuilding this box with a new hardware (MB, processor, RAM) to match todays Windows 11 23H2 and later OS requirement.