cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

PSVR2 on PC via official Sony Adapter No 90hz Mode in SteamVR latest Beta Issue on AMD Cards only

Hello AMD Support Team,

i want to say there is an issue that seem to affect the AMD Graphics Cards only. In SteamVR there is no setting to switch the DisplayMode of the PSVR2 Headset to 90hz. I am not quite sure if it's the problem of SteamVR itself or it's because the Graphics Driver. Other brands of GPU's has the option to switch the Display Mode to 90hz in SteamVR for PSVR2. But only 120hz is currently working. I would be very happy if somebody of the AMD Developers can have look at the issue and make the 90hz Mode also working on their GPUs. But as i said i am not quite sure if it's a problem of AMD or rather SteamVR but in any case i will write them also.

Have a nice day!

1 Solution
TuSavage
Adept I

Everyone New PSVR App update just dropped. we got 90Hz!! VR is back on the menu boys!

View solution in original post

51 Replies

I was answering his second question

0 Likes

sorry, I understand that. I just meant the reply was irrelevant because your answer discusses something we don't even have an option for:

"For titles where you can't maintain a 90fps lock" - this is not an option at all on AMD, that's my point. We can only do 120 locked or 60 reprojected.

Its the whole issue of this thread

OldDarth
Adept I

Hi there.

Adding my name to the list of AMD users that cannot access the 90HZ option.

I'm running with a 7800 XT.

Looking forward to this being resolved.

Thanks!

may I ask what kind of performance you get at 120 htz? I only have a 6600xt at 120htz is basically unplayable. I'm not sure if its the card or not being able to switch to 90htz

0 Likes

Straight up VR games are OK. Half Life Alyx is awesome - that game is very scalable. 

FYI - the default resolution for the headset is set to 100% which surpasses the native resolution of the headset. If you haven't, set the resolution around 65-68% and see if your performance improves.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
TuSavage
Adept I

Shouldn’t be that hard of a fix…. Right? It’s been over a month 

0 Likes
PatPich
Journeyman III

This evening, upon starting and connecting my PSVR2 to the PlaystationVR2App, I was asked to update firmware for the headset and controllers.

Then when I launched SteamVR, I now had the option to pick between 90 and 120.

I was able to play Half-Life Alyx at 90hz flawlessly.

Seems like the issue might be resolved.

Can confirm - did the update, got the 90Hz option, and all looks fantastic!

Awesome! 

TuSavage
Adept I

Everyone New PSVR App update just dropped. we got 90Hz!! VR is back on the menu boys!

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the update. Please can other users confirm if the issue is resolved after updating the firmware for the headset?

I wouldn't say the root issue is fixed.

Yes, we have 90hz on PSVR2 now, but it seems Sony had to use some sort of workaround on their end.

AMD cards have been bad about reading EDID's in the past, especially when there are adapters in between the display and card.

You can open up custom resolution utility and see that the EDID has been read, and all the resolutions are present in the EDID, but the Radeon driver will not actually allow those resolutions to be exposed in Windows, for whatever reason. Sometimes it appears the driver has misread the maximum pixel clock of the display

So I think the solution needs to be A) read the full EDID and expose all the resolutions contained within and B) read this EDID from Windows, not from the device, in cases where users have used CRU to add/remove modes from the EDID.

0 Likes
Sunlightblade11
Journeyman III

Yes the 90 Hz option is available now after the update. Thanks everybody for pointing out the issue and ofc for resolving it! Happy VR gaming!