cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Joshii47x
Adept II

PC is Black screening & freezing with 5700G

I just purchased the 5700G processor and updated the bios on the X570 Aorus Elite so that I could use it. After booting into windows 10, I noticed that after 30 or so minutes It would freeze or black screen while idle. But, after a while under load it didn't black screen or freeze for me. 

So, I disabled the iGPU in the bios and installed a GT 710 just to see if it would work and unfortunately windows 10 froze every time while idle but never black screened like with the iGPU. I then changed out the PSU because I thought maybe it was the new PSU I just purchased that was the issue, and after I installed it, it froze yet again.

I know these components work because my little brother used them in his older pc build but I'm not sure about the 5700G since I only started having problems with the PC after installing the 5700G.

D.O.J.C - (Disciple of Jesus Christ)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Joshii47x
Adept II

Well, I'm going to say that the 5700G was either defective or it just doesn't go well with my build. I put the 3200G back in and it hasn't frozen since then. I plan on getting another processor entirely and sending the 5700G back. Anyways thanks for your help again @MADZyren 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Since you changed CPU, clear cmos ones and also go to BIOS and save changes on exit - you don't need to change anything.

If this doesn't work,  it could be memory. Ryzen are a bit more tricky as it comes to memory and also as always, some individual CPU's are better and others worse. Without knowing your memory speed or latency settings, I would probably start by either setting the memory to 3200Mhz if it is now higher, as that is the rated speed for that CPU, and/or just increse memory voltage to 1.375-1.4V and see if either helps.

CPU's with integrated graphics (especially AMD) to my knowledge are more sensitive to which memory they use. You could also - for testing - try one DIMM at a time (how many do you have? and what clockspeed?)

If this doesn't work, the thing is you changed CPU, so maybe you need to reinstall Windows. Some reviewers say that while computers usually work just fine without reinstalling, especially if you go from one brand (like Intel) to another (like AMD), you should reinstall as performance might not be as good as it should. I think Hardware Unboxed mentioned this when talking about benchmarking hardware.

EDIT: It coud also be a matter of some power saving setting. Just in case you have changed something in BIOS when you had previous CPU, maybe set it do default, then enable things like XMP, remember the memory speed and voltage settings, check you have virtualization enabled and... I'm not sure if APU's should have or support SAM?

Thanks for the response. I currently have 2x16GB G.Skill Tridentz which run at 3200MHz CL16. I will give the bios reset a try and the one DIMM as well. Also, I've already done a clean install of windows 10 and it still persists. 

PC Specs:

CPU: R7 5700G

GPU: Geforce 710 GT

RAM: 32GB 2x16 G.Skill Tridentz CL16

PSU: 600W EVGA

SSD: WD 1TB NVME GEN3

0 Likes

Just in ccase, I would also clear cmos either by shorting pins of removing bios battery for a couple of seconds (in both cases you need to unplug your computer and wait for all LED's to go black). It is strange, but clearing CMOS can sometimes do something resetting BIOS simply doesn't achieve. One of those things I really do not comprehend why that is.

Okay thanks I'll give that a try as well and I will update this page on whether it worked out for me or not.

0 Likes
Joshii47x
Adept II

@MADZyren So, I've done the following:

1: Removed CMOS Battery to reset bios

2: Removed RAM (Tried 1 stick and even a different ram kit)

3: Load Optimized Default Manually in bios

4: Switched PSU

5: Clean install of Windows 10

6: Tried switching HDMI

And the conclusion for all of these actions was that nothing helped me fix this issue I'm having with windows 10 freezing and forcing me to restart the pc. So, I don't know what to do now because I have no idea what the source of this issue is. Thanks, for your help though in trying to fix my computer. If you have any other suggestions, then that would help.

0 Likes
Joshii47x
Adept II

Well, I'm going to say that the 5700G was either defective or it just doesn't go well with my build. I put the 3200G back in and it hasn't frozen since then. I plan on getting another processor entirely and sending the 5700G back. Anyways thanks for your help again @MADZyren 

0 Likes