cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

finndo
Journeyman III

only safe mode works after enabling 10 bit color in Adrenalin 22.11.1 on Windows 10

I have an AsRock Taichi Radeon 5700 XT OC since the 5700 XT launched, I have had no issues with my card, recently I got a cute little 27" LG HDR enabled 4k monitor to preview/watch HDR content on (I have a good idea what I did wrong here and why it does not work, but cannot fix it) When enabling HDR in windows everything worked fine, no issues there. But when I selected 10 bit color in the Adrenalin software (22.11.1) it told me to reboot, and then BSOD repeated until I was allowed to boot in safe mode (note that boot in low resolution mode ALSO crashes with a BSOD). everything I can possibly find is using the newest version (drivers software involved, and S), although windows did notify me it removed multiple updates attempting to repair my system.

what I am trying to do:

• return to 8 bit color mode in the AMD Adrenalin Software

why I cannot do it:

• when I log in to windows I get a BSOD 0xc000021a

From Microsoft:

The 0xC000021A error can occur if Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe stops working. This happens if:

1. There were corrupt system files in the computer.

2. There was a failed upgrade.

3. Incomplete installation of a software program.

what I have done:

1. used the AMD driver uninstall utility (amd cleanup utility) in safe mode (many many times)

2. uninstalled the AMD Software from add/remove programs

3. deleted the AMD install directory

4. I downloaded a new copy of the WHQL installer

5. I have repeated the above many times including trying it in a different order, I also tried uninstalling, rebooting, and then the cleaner 3 times in a row before attempting to reinstall (rebooting each time)

6. I also performed a system restore rollback to 2 days ago

7. Always used the factory reset option during install

8. I manually removed the CIM and InstallUEP directories out of the install location before reinstalling (when trying without the driver clean up)

9. I installed 22.10.3

10. Install the driver only, not the full install

none of the above make any difference to the situation (number 10 confuses me about what the error might actually be, as I was of the belief the 10 bit color mode setting in the adrenalin software was the issue, but the crash happened again with only the driver being installed and not the software...)

what happens:

After uninstalling the Adrenalin Software, I can boot back into windows, set my resolution to something useful, run the adrenalin installer, where it prompts me to reboot to continue the install after caching the files, reboot goes fine, I log in and it finishes the install fine, tells me to reboot again. On reboot it goes back to a BSOD again until I uninstall adrenalin.

• The AMD Adrenalin software will not run immediately after install without a reboot, which causes a BSOD.
  • The AMD Adrenalin software will not open in safe mode.
  • I cannot find the stored settings file to manually change the 10 bit entry.
  • I cannot find the stored settings file to delete it. (I was guessing it was in the userdata/local or roaming directory, until it carried over to the new user, now I am thinking it is being stored in the registry

Also, I tried creating a new windows user and repeating the above as the new user, the end result is a BSOD on reboot after installing Adrenalin. I tried this after finding a post somewhere that someone was able to get in to adrenalin and change a setting to fix their problem. (a different setting than the one I am having issues with, they got their BSOD on user login though, mine is at Windows start up)

what I have not done:

• reinstall windows, clean or using the repair function reinstall.

why i have not tried this:

• I understand it is a really good idea (and that it just moves windows to old_windows) and I could probably use it, but this is originally a windows 7 pro install that has been upgraded through 8 and 10, there are a few programs installed that are no longer available online that I prefer to newer ones, due to:
  • in app purchases for addons of content that is already free in the app/version i am using
  • some of them also now require online accounts to login and use the applications, which the version I have installed does not
  • I have 1 or 2 programs I still use that came preinstalled on the computer and I do not have license keys or media to reacquire it, even if it was still available
  • I installed a number of applications as "only for me" instead of being available to all users as there are other users on the machine, but I do not know which ones those are anymore
  • application settings should not be stored in a location that doesn't get removed on uninstall, unless prompted to keep your settings during the uninstall. this is lazy and rude programming
  • I do video editing for multiple social media channels (I suck at it, but it is what it is) and need to be up and running every day to complete all my work (that software thankfully is running ok without the AMD software installed)
  • I am too lazy to set it all back up after wiping it, especially since I am replacing everything (hardware, OS, and software, complete overhaul) in the next 10-12 months and will need to do it then anyway

Any advice? on how to get that setting to stop carrying over on reinstalls, please!

current status (I had to run out to do things, and hit post, but apparently my post failed with some error about 5 hours ago...):

I am semi functional using safe mode with networking, I cannot install even the graphics drivers with a clean factory reset install using the 22.11.1 or 22.10.3 AMD installers.

0 Likes
0 Replies