cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

baertiger
Journeyman III

Driver installation killed OS - twice!

TL;DR: I am on my second fresh install of windows because the AMD driver installation resulted in windows being fubar.

System: R9 270, i7 6700K, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on m2 drive

I bought a R9 270 as a cheap, temporary replacement after my old GPU died. After some serious trouble after the first install I got the card running and it served me for a couple of months.
Yesterday I experienced a freeze with a black screen while working. The HDD LED on the case was not flashing, so I knew it was a full freeze and forced a restart. After that I continued to get black screens and freezes instead of the login screen of windows.
I could get Windows to boot in safe mode. I tried uninstalling the display driver (Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.9.2 Optional) and freshly installing it. It would install the Radeon Software, but on installing the actual drivers, I would get an error 1603. Well, as I read that could basically be anything.
So I went back into safe mode, tried uninstalling and installing an older version of the driver (Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.9.1 Recommended (WHQL)) which resulted in a frozen screen like described before. This time however, windows would not boot at all. Neither normally, nor in safe mode. It wouldn't even let me soft or hard reset it, so I just had to reinstall it.

After a fresh install without any internet connection and therefore the ability to get a bad driver from windows auto update, the system would boot normally with the display being in 800x600. I copied over the recommended driver version and installed it. Well, you guessed it. Another black screen, windows won't boot. I am currently creating a bootable USB drive again to reinstall windows. Preferably for the last time.

1) Is there a way to get older drivers that actually work and won't mess up the OS?
2) Is there a way to get just the drivers without the AMD Software bloatware? 

Thank you in advance!

BT.

0 Likes
0 Replies