cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

angar
Journeyman III

Any good tutorials for undervolting you guys would recommend?

Hello,

I am new to the AMD family, Ive just bought 7800 XT Nitro+ and I am pretty happy with it, but I want to do some undervolting for better efficiency - I want it to draw less power while not losing too much of GPU performance itself, the problem is I've never done undervolting myself before.

I know there are many different videos on this subject in internet, but could u guys recommend me good and simple undervolting tutorial maybe one that you have used too with good results?

I will greatly appreciate it.

0 Likes
2 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

I had one for the earlier Polaris cards but its different now on RDNA cards.

However, its still easy and other than stability issues, crashing, reboots and BSODs, no harm can be done. Be sure to stress test your undervolt settings to ensure stability.

To start, use the option auto undervolting to have a value to start with. Then go to the manual slider and lower it a bit more. Increase power limit and check temperatures and stability.

I'll try to post some pictures when I'm home.

If the temperatures please you, maybe you can now overclock a bit to get more.

To give you and example, on my old Polaris card, I had it undervolted and overclocked for several years with no problems whatsoever.

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes
JFM
Adept III

Check this if you are new to Adrenalin, it would give you some idea about numbers as well.

Personally, this is how I do it after watching lots of those videos etc. myself. This setting are leaning more towards power saving but overall efficiency is the main focus.

You start by reducing max frequency, for my 6700XT it was a bit more than 2600 and I reduced it to 2400. You can reduce 100, try. Reduce 100, try... How you will decide where to stop? By benchmarking. Choose a game (that is kinda heavy) like RDR2 for example. Try stock, note average FPS and watt value of a scene you want (just beginning would be easiest). Then reduce 100 and do same things until you are satisfied. 

For example in my case, starting scene was drawing 173W while average FPS was 153. When I dropped it to 2400, it draw 115W while average FPS was 146. So I lost 7~ FPS for 60W~, pretty much 9W per fps. But for example, going 100 below to 2300MHZ made it draw 106W while average fps was 141. I lose 5 more FPS for just 10W, so overall 2400 seemed most optimal for me and I went with it. 

Testing with a less heavy game showed more optimal results with 2300MHz, but 2400 was overall better performer and you can still go with a per-game settings in Adrenalin anyway (under Gaming - Games - Choose a Game - Tune Game Performance). 

Second part, reducing mV value. This is not as effective as MHz after you optimize it, but why not. You can try the value he put in the video as a base and if it doesn't crash with a stress test, go lower. Sometimes games can still freeze even after a successful stress test but it isn't a big problem, you won't broke down your pc or anything. Just increase the value by 10 (or 20 to be sure) and if you don't have the same problem again you should be good to go.

Hope this helps, gl.