cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 24.9.1 Release Notes

This discussion is for community members to share their experience using AMD Software Adrenalin Edition 24.9.1.

For the full driver release notes and download link refer to: AMD Software Adrenalin Edition 24.9.1 driver release notes.

• Highlights
  • New Game Support
    • Frostpunk 2
    • God of War Ragnarök
    • Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2
    • The Sims™ 4 DirectX® 11 Update
  • AMD Fluid Motion Frames (AFMF) 2
    • Lower Latency and Higher Performance
      • AFMF 2 enhances fast-paced gaming by significantly reducing frame generation latency and improving performance scaling through new modes.
    • Fast Motion Optimization
      • Enjoy smoother gameplay and higher FPS with improved frame generation consistency during fast motion.
    • Improved Borderless-Fullscreen Support
      • Expanded display mode support for RDNA 3 series graphics products ensures compatibility with virtually all borderless fullscreen games.
    • Expanded API Support
      • AFMF 2 can now be enabled for any OpenGLNEW, VulkanNEW, DirectX® 11, and DirectX® 12 titles.
    • Radeon™ Chill Interoperability
      • AFMF 2 now supports Radeon™ Chill, providing a low-latency FPS capping option.
    • Optimized AMD Ryzen AI™ 300 Series Support
      • AFMF 2 is optimized for an extensive list of AMD products, including AMD Ryzen AI™ 300 series processors. Learn more HERE.
    • A major advancement in frame generation technology for AMD HYPR-RX.
  • AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2 Vulkan® Support for Counter-Strike 2
    • AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2 now supports the Vulkan® API, offering additional responsive gaming options. Anti-Lag 2 introduces an in-game option to optimally pace frames, further reducing input lag on AMD RDNA™ architecture-based graphics products.
  • Users looking for a way to measure response time can use our Frame Latency Meter (FLM) or the built-in latency monitor in AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2.
        • Use the ALT+SHIFT+L hotkey to enable the Radeon Anti-Lag 2 Latency Monitor. Once activated, a small white chevron will appear in the top left corner of your display, indicating that it is enabled.
        • Use ALT+SHIFT+L again to cycle through the following Latency Monitor display options: No metrics, FPS only, FPS and latency (in ms), FPS and latency (in ms and frames), FPS and latency (in ms and frames) with a legend.
        • To compare the difference between Anti-Lag 2 On and Anti-Lag Off, hold the right CTRL key.
  • Check out our new blog HERE to learn more about the AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2 SDK.
  • Geometric Downscaling for Video
    • Improved image quality by reducing artifacts during downscaled video playback.
  • Geometric Downscaling is supported on AMD Radeon™ 800M integrated graphics, as well as AMD Radeon™ RX 7000 series desktop and mobile discrete graphics cards.
  • Expanded AMD Radeon™ Boost Support
    • FINAL FANTASY XVI
  • Expanded HYPR-Tune Support
    • Black Myth: Wukong
    • Creatures of Ava
    • God of War Ragnarök
    • Ghost of Tsushima DIRECTOR'S CUT
    • HYPR-Tune support allows HYPR-RX to enable in-game technologies like AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution and AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2.
    • Support has been added to automatically configure AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3 with frame generation in:
    • Support has been added to automatically configure AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2 in:
  • Expanded Vulkan Extensions Support
  • Mesh Nodes in Work Graphs via Microsoft Agility SDK 1.715.0 Preview
    • View our accompanying blog post on GPUOpen to learn more about Mesh Nodes in Work Graphs and how to enable it.
    • Find our Work Graphs Mesh Nodes samples on GitHub.

Fixed Issues and Improvements

• Intermittent driver timeout or application crash while playing Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2.
  • Intermittent driver timeout or application crash during certain cutscenes while playing FINAL FANTASY XVI on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6600 XT.
  • Overly dark shadows or desaturated colors may be observed while playing Black Myth: Wukong when Global Illumination is to Medium or higher.
  • Intermittent in-game corruption may be observed while playing Ghost of Tsushima DIRECTOR'S CUT with AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ Record & Streaming and HDR enabled.
  • AFMF may become inactive after enabling certain on-screen overlays.
  • AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition may unexpectedly initiate upon system wake from sleep mode.
  • Audio and video may intermittently become out of sync while recording using the AV1 codec in AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition.

Known Issues

• Intermittent performance when entering certain areas while playing DayZ. [Resolution targeted for 24.10.1]
  • Intermittent driver timeout or crash may be observed while playing Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the AMD Ryzen™ AI 9 HX 370. Users experiencing this issue can enable Variable Graphics Memory in AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition as a temporary measure (AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition -> Performance -> Tuning -> Variable Graphics Memory).

Important Notes

AMD is collaborating with the developers of Frostpunk 2 to resolve an intermittent issue causing in game flicker while using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition Record and Stream.

AMD is collaborating with the developers of Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 to resolve an intermittent issue causing black flickering around certain water areas.

If you would like to report an issue with AMD Software Adrenalin Edition 24.9.1, please use the AMD Bug Report Tool. If you require technical assistance with your AMD product, please contact AMD Customer Care.

IMPORTANT! When submitting a bug report against this driver, please make sure to include the following tag into the bug report description field using this format:

FORUM-DriverVersion-Username. For example, if your username was GAMER56 and the driver version was 24.8.1, use the tag FORUM-24-9-1-GAMER56

62 Replies
CayroMx4
Elite

DAYZ WILL BE FIXED OMG!
hope they also will fix DX12 stutters.

Working fine here no stutters at all

0 Likes
visario
Adept II

visario_0-1727797568895.png

Asrock Taichi 7900 XTX.  Well... gg wp.

this amd is a disgrace,they will never have a usable driver

No issues for me, you and your nvidia fanboys can stay here as long as you want

That's great! I will let other people know. Your statement about them being Nvidia fanboys. Would you mind to elaborate on your thought process?

Same Problem with my Sapphire 7900XTX Nitro. I switched Back to the Space Marine 2 Preview Driver and works like a charm

0 Likes
krakjen
Journeyman III

All Adrenaline overlays are still broken (not displaying) for me on a 7900XTX.

They have been broken with all version above 24.5.1, including the AFMF2 preview drivers.

0 Likes

Not broken here its working fine same card

0 Likes
Aker666
Journeyman III

Hi,

I have an AMD Radeon RX 6850M XT and an AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX with Radeon Graphics, reading this link it says:

AFMF 2 Product Support

AFMF 2 is supported on AMD RDNA™ 2 architecture-based graphics solutions and newer. You can also see what the default “Auto” settings are for each of the new AFMF 2 tunable modes in the table below.

AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 and 7000 series graphics cards (desktop and mobile).

And in this link from the driver release notes it says:

Users running AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series discrete graphics can enable AFMF 2 globally in “Graphics Options”.

But I can't find that option, am I missing or misunderstanding something?

Regards.

I have the same issue. I have a RX 6600 in a eGPU setup.

Basically everything AFMF has been hidden from the Adrenaline software ever since the second preview release of the drivers. In the very first preview I got it worked flawlessly, but since then every release has had the option for me removed.

0 Likes

I found a solution. Disable hybrid mode and restart. The option will appear.

0 Likes
Northstar
Journeyman III

Hi

Hybrid grafik not work with this driver.  

Cpu: 8700G

gpu:7800xt

display is connect on Mainboard DP

No Game Start. jedi crash.png

The same Problem with all AFMF2 Preview driver

With older driver 24.8.1 No Problem

Regards.

0 Likes
jmag1988
Adept II

Great, I just updated the drivers, and now Vsync doesn't work in any game, I'm running at 400fps and the graphics card is working at 99% and at around 100º.I'm so tired of AMD. After 8 or 9 updates that work well, there are updates that cause problems, and to make matters worse, when I go back to the previous update the same thing keeps happening.

0 Likes
radu1006
Elite

AMD please fix the instability and timeouts caused by low voltage in idle!!

I had enough of using different tricks in order to increase the voltage in idle.

@radu1006

In your previous thread, this was my card on 24.8.1

FunkZ_0-1727878683147.png

24.9.1 increased my idle clocks, voltage, temps and board power

It's borderline temp to kick on the fans and unnecessarily overvolting

FunkZ_2-1727879009499.png

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

It would have been nice, but it is an illusion.

The voltage is only like that while the Adrenalin is open. They probably added some 3D transparency or effect that causes the extra load on the GPU.

If you use a 3rd party monitor software like MSI Afterburner, you will see that the voltage and power consumption remains the same: around 9-10W and ~64mV.

I had checked with GPU-Z and it indicated the same behavior even with Adrenalin shutdown.

I've already reverted to 24.5.1 - that's the latest version that I have yet to find anything wrong with.

24.6.1 and 24.7.1 broke fan zero-rpm

24.8.1 causes the open from sleep

now this overvolting with 24.9.1

and I also noticed 24.9.1 installed the AMD User Experience service by default, which didn't get removed when I rolled back, so had to disable the service

I suppose one saving grace is 24.9.1 supports Polaris/Vega so all the legacy card owners finally get an update.

There is always some GPU load if you check in the UI of any tool, as the GPU will work to display that UI.

The right way to do it, is to send the voltage to system tray, as that one is always there any does not cause GPU load.

However, even with GPUz you can see that there are moments when the voltage drops to 60mV or below. Sometimes even stays there for a long time.

There seems to be indeed bit of a change, as most of the time seems to idle above 100mV, which was not the case.

In the past I tested with 100-200mV and it was not enough. Maybe it will make the timeouts happen less often, but they will not go away.

I will test this driver more time, but I do not expect major improvements on general stability as there are still moments when the voltage drops below 100mV.

radu1006_0-1727943133930.png

Aaaaannnd, it did not take long. I got a driver timeout and black screen.

As I mentioned, they did not address the under voltage problem in idle.

radu1006_0-1727965324580.png

The workaround is to keep the overlay open all the time, even on desktop, so that the voltage is always over 600mV.

This solution works 100% for this specific issue. I have been using it for a while now, but I want a real fix from AMD.

I've been using this method also based on your advice, and the number of crashes went from about 1-2 a day to one every 3 or so days. I'm also running HWInfo64 and displaying the GPU voltage on my second monitor, and when it eventually crashes, the volts drop to like 200-ish. My guess is that whatever keeps the voltages elevated stops, or crashes, or something like that.

It's really frustrating, since I've been struggling with this issue since July. Out of about 130 crashes, 3 were in game, and even those were in the menus, never during intense action.

Oh, the card is an RX 7800 XT, with an i9-11900k CPU in an Asus Prime Z590-A motherboard.

0 Likes

It's fixed way earlier now with 24.9.1 work even better.

0 Likes
dattrax
Adept I

Seems to be completely hosed for 780M integrated (Framework13) with a black screen and none of the drivers load.  I tried a DDU, but given this is a WHQL I would have expected fewer issues.  Any idea how to go back? 

Same here. Minisforum UM790 Pro (7940HS CPU 780M GPU). Drivers fails to install and reboots the computer mid-install. After rebooting I get a black screen. Multiple reboots until I get a "no graphic driver" Windows.  Missing graphics drivers and no sound.

How to fix: Download 24.8.1 drivers and do a clean install. It fixes the problems with 24.9.1.

Same here, Asus TUF FA507XV

AMD driver sucks

0 Likes

Same black screen issue on my Radeon 780M on Lenovo Legion Slim 7. I reported this issue both on this forum and via the AMD crash reporter for the AFMF 2 preview driver. So disappointed that AMD decided to completely ignore the issue and just release it. 

0 Likes
hansyuli
Adept I

Since version 24.6.1, I’ve been encountering several issues that persist even after upgrading to the latest version, 24.9.1, despite having freshly installed Windows 10 and 11. Here are the problems I've been experiencing:

1. Hardware acceleration in Android Studio is not functioning; I am forced to use software rendering.
  2. DaVinci Resolve crashes immediately upon starting playback.
  3. BlueStacks hardware acceleration consistently crashes, while software acceleration occasionally crashes as well.
  4. MSI Afterburner/RTSS can no longer detect my 6700XT for monitoring.
  5. Some older games, like Dragon's Dogma 1, refuse to run, displaying a strange error.
  6. Photoshop is exceedingly slow, as if no GPU is being utilized.
  7. A hardware-accelerated video converter only utilizes about 10% of the GPU, resulting in very slow performance instead of 100%.

When I reverted back to version 24.5.1, all these issues disappeared like magic. Although some people suggest that these problems are specific to the respective software, the fact that rolling back to 24.5.1 resolved all of them clearly indicates something went wrong between versions 24.5.1 and 24.6.1.

I’m not sure if other GPUs are experiencing similar behavior, but for my 6700XT, these issues have been consistent.

My Rig:

• Motherboard: Asrock X670e Pro RS
  • CPU: 7700X
  • GPU: Gigabyte 6700XT
  • RAM: 64GB Corsair 5200CL40
  • Storage: Samsung 980

To date, the problems I’ve mentioned have occurred with the following driver versions:

I will keep trying new drivers in the future and provide further informations

In my experience, issue #4 is an indication that the driver did not install properly or there was some other conflict. When installing drivers, make sure no OC utility like afterburner is running.

I suggest

1. Downloading driver you want to install.

2. Disconnect from internet so that windows will not install a driver automatically

3. Use DDU to clear AMD gpu drivers

4. Install GPU driver. Make sure no OC utils are running.

5. Restart and verify afterburner recognizes gpu

6. Reconnect to internet.

If you have issues after reconnecting, then windows might be stomping the gpu driver.

0 Likes

all of them are happening in a freshly installed windows

Mine crashes/hangs/freezes windows after exiting gpu intensive game since the 24.6.1 driver, the May one is the last working driver for me too.

0 Likes

Same here. 7840U after 24.5.1 any hardware acceleration usage ended up in driver crash with driver restart

I’ve also had issues with every driver release after 24.5.1. Random games are showing extremely poor performance. Even older games which should run flawlessly have horrible choppy framerates. As soon as I revert back to 24.5.1 I’ll have 60fps and 16.5ms frametime. I’ve been reporting this for half a year now hoping every month will be fixed and I can have access to new driver features.

0 Likes

My Update on today October 7th 2024. After I downloaded the clean ISO of windows 11 24H2 and do a fresh install of windows again, the issue perish and I can do my gaming, software development, & editing with no issue using my 6700XT in 24.9.1.

My current guess is that something in the windows update from a faily old windows ISO:

• Windows 11 23H2
  • Windows 10 22H2

Have something that broke when in conjuction with driver 24.6.1 up to 24.9.1. It could be dot net runtime, C++ runtime, or something else. So far the system is running good

0 Likes
ebussy_rider
Journeyman III

[ 6851.472194] amdgpu_ttm_tt_populate+0xb4/0xf0 [amdgpu]
[ 6851.472551] amdgpu_ttm_evict_resources+0x36/0x70 [amdgpu]
[ 6851.472779] amdgpu_device_prepare+0x59/0x180 [amdgpu]
[ 6851.473002] amdgpu_pmops_prepare+0x43/0x80 [amdgpu]
[ 6851.473414] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: PM: device_prepare(): pci_pm_prepare+0x0/0x80 returns -12
[ 6851.473419] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: PM: not prepared for power transition: code -12
[ 6852.488444] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: PM: device_prepare(): pci_pm_prepare+0x0/0x80 returns -12
[ 6852.488451] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: PM: not prepared for power transition: code -12
[ 7753.329356] amdgpu_ttm_tt_populate+0xb4/0xf0 [amdgpu]
[ 7753.329766] amdgpu_ttm_evict_resources+0x36/0x70 [amdgpu]
[ 7753.329994] amdgpu_device_prepare+0x59/0x180 [amdgpu]
[ 7753.330217] amdgpu_pmops_prepare+0x43/0x80 [amdgpu]
[ 7753.330867] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: PM: device_prepare(): pci_pm_prepare+0x0/0x80 returns -12
[ 7753.330872] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: PM: not prepared for power transition: code -12
[ 7753.799537] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: PM: device_prepare(): pci_pm_prepare+0x0/0x80 returns -12
[ 7753.799544] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: PM: not prepared for power transition: code -12

0 Likes

Thank you,

you fixed the problem with Greedfall not booting! Good job!

0 Likes
rockovissi
Adept II

I really wish someone can figure out the difference between May’s driver and what changed from June on. I have numerous games that have absolutely poor performance. I have to keep reverting to May’s drivers. I just tried Alan Wake II and it’s atrocious, even worse performance when I put on MSI Afterburner OSD. Performance tanks. It seems normal when I put it into Borderless Fullscreen but that’s not acceptable. I did ran the clean up utility again, reinstalled May’s drivers and I was getting 60fps at 16ms. Fallout 4 had 100% micro stutter. I tried again with May’s drivers and there was 0%. What is going on here? Windows 11 is up to date, I have a 7900 XT.

24.5.1 is the last version that did not cause a problem for me

Same for me. I have no idea what’s happening but so many random games stutter like crazy. Riven, Fallout 4, Alan Wake II, Bioshock Infinite. All these random awful after installing any driver after 24.5.1. Every month I’m hopeful to have new features and improved performance. I’m wondering if it has to do with Fluid Motion Frames being implemented? I never turn it on because my TV only does 4K at 60hz. So I just don’t need to go beyond that. But the fact that it’s now baked into drivers, I’m wondering if it has anything to do with poor performance in some games.

Same for me too.  They really seemed to have got their act together pretty well for the 24.5.1 drivers.  Since then it seems they've been so busy chasing fake fluid frames that they can't actually deliver the games own frames in the right order

If the 24.10.1 drivers don't address this then the next numbers I'll be waiting on will be 5 0 8 0.

0 Likes