Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

abhishekcal
Journeyman III

AMD Graphics card Black screen after driver installation

Hi,

To tell so some background I never had problem with the AMD Drivers. So yesterday as I was playing Art of Rally and things went smoothly for 10 minutes then suddenly my pc hanged and I got the black screen and stuttering audio. This has never happened before.

Since PC was not responding I did the forced shutdown by holding the Power button. After the restart I got the windows logo and then black screen. It is working perfectly in Safe Mode. So I uninstalled the AMD drivers from the Safe mode and PC booted normally. I also disabled the Windows AMD driver update so it won’t update automatically. Then I ran the DDU for full removal of the driver and installed the new drivers from AMD. Now as soon as the screen blinks on new driver installation it goes to black screen. I have repeated this process number of times of removing the driver using the DDU and installing the AMD driver but as soon the screen blinks at the installation it goes to black.

The PC is working correctly without the graphics card and booting normally on the integrated graphics. So I am pretty sure that it has to something with the card only, but to be sure I did reset the Windows 10 using the reset option. Still as soon as I install the AMD driver, the screen goes black.

Hence I am not able to detect the issue precisely, some of the Hardware info is as:

Graphics Card: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x

I have tried both latest AMD optional drivers and stable drivers.

Looking forward for your guys help. Thanks.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Capt_Samba76
Journeyman III

OK, I had this issue, though it is different to everyone that has it. Mine ended up being the older monitor (5 years old) was doing it. I went into safe mode with networking and downloaded the specific driver for the old monitor (which by the way is larger than my others and is an LED LG, nothing wrong with it) and the MOFO hasn't stopped since.

Manually download drivers for your monitors, especially if they are old

How old and what are your monitors?

thanks for the reply, did you download the driver from the Device manager or you download from the manufacturer website?

0 Likes

You are not alone in reporting these latest drivers as being problematic.

You might try the following:

I would suggest trying to install the drivers from scratch again as sometimes things just corrupt.

Have the driver downloaded from AMD

Download and run DDU from wagnardsoft dot com from safe mode with Internet unplugged or wifi off. 

Restart with Internet still disconnected.

Install the AMD driver but don't pick express install. Choose the"Factory Reset" option.

In Radeon Settings go to the performance tab, tuning tab, and near the bottom find the "Power Limit" Slider.

Move that slider to the right to its maximum of 50.

https://community.amd.com/t5/blogs/performance-tuning-with-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition/ba...

See if that helps.

I that doesn't help repeat the same process above but install a previous driver that worked for you and report the issue to AMD:

In Radeon Settings there is a Bug Report tool too you can submit the issue or

You can contact AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

If you need further help from the community please supply your full system specs especially what power supply you have. 

Information Required When Posting a Discussion

Please:

• Search the forums for existing discussions which may contain a solution to your issue before creating a new discussion.
  • Use a title that accurately summarizes your issue. Do not use titles like “Help Me” or “Driver issue”.
  • Post your discussion in the appropriate board for a faster and more helpful response.

When creating a new discussion, please provide as much detail as possible describing your issue, including the steps to reproduce the issue.

Below is an example of the essential information to provide when posting a new discussion.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card Make & Model
    • Radeon VII
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • If a laptop, Make and Model of the Laptop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit 1909 Build
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenaline 20.10.1
  • Display Make and model and connection/adapter in use, resolution, and refresh rate.
    • Samsung UE32850R 3840x2160 @60Hz Active DP to HDMI adapter
    • One line for each display device connected
  • CPU/APU Make and model number
    • Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Motherboard Make & Model + Bios Revision
    • Asus X570 Prime Pro BIOS 2802
  • Power Supply Unit Make & Model + Wattage
    • Seasonic Focus 750W Platinum
  • System Memory Make & Model + Frequency
    • GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL14 2x8GB

Describe your issue:

• Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing, and the steps required to reproduce the issue.
  • Details about applications/games affected (including version number)
  • Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings)
  • If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

mh - either a faulty driver-install or a monitor problem or a dead gpu

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Wow thankyou captain obvious.

0 Likes

looks like it wasnt obvious enough...

1. run DDU and clean the driver (all GPU drivers, AMD/Nvida/Intel) - test again
2. disable HDCP, FreeSync, VSR, GPU scaling - test again
2b. test HDMI or DP
3. test your GPU in a different System (friends, family, strangers on the bus station etc)

maybe also update your Windows to latest 20H2 - install latest driver then test again...

now clarified?

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Benman2785 you seem educated in this and quite frankly I am taking shots in the dark at this point.. I have an AMD Radeon 5600 XT G card and all drivers are up to date with AMD program I have a 24 inch LG monitor (24GN50W) is model number. The monitor I have does NOT have a manufactures drivers and under 'Monitor' on Device manager it only shows 'Generic PnP monitor'.. I Problem is that my display quality is completely poor.. almost like I am running in a much lower resolution with grainy photos and poor video quality.. I can even start up Hulu Live TV on my computer and the videos only renders in low quality.. almost like 720p (or worse). I remember months ago watching the same thing and it would start off in bad quality but render quickly into 1920x1080. I do not know what has happened.. Please someone help

0 Likes