Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

OmerCev
Journeyman III

Why AMD processors don't come with embedded cooling

Title: Unified CPU and Cooler Designs: Beyond Thermal Paste

Introduction

We live in an era where computer technology is advancing rapidly. Each new processor and graphics card consumes more power and generates more heat. Consequently, cooling systems must evolve just as swiftly. In a traditional setup, thermal paste is applied between the CPU and cooler, and this thermal paste quality and application method affect heat conduction. If the thermal paste is inadequately applied or deteriorates over time, heat transfer may be compromised, leading to the CPU overheating and performance degradation.

Better Heat Conductivity

When the CPU and cooler are combined, direct contact is achieved, eliminating the need for thermal paste. This results in more direct and efficient heat transfer. With no air gap between the CPU and cooler, heat is transmitted more rapidly, leading to lower CPU temperatures and improved performance.

Thinner and Lighter Design

A unified CPU and cooler design allows for a thinner and lighter structure. This is particularly crucial for laptops and slim clients. A more compact design enhances portability and aesthetics.

Reduced Noise

Unified designs can be quieter compared to traditional cooling solutions. Improved heat conduction leads to fans running at lower speeds, reducing noise levels. This provides users with a quieter working environment.

Simpler Installation

Traditional cooling solutions may have complex assembly processes due to the need for applying thermal paste between the CPU and cooler. Unified designs make it easier and faster for users to set up their systems.

Conclusion

Unified CPU and cooler designs offer a superior solution in terms of thermal paste application and heat transfer. They provide benefits such as improved heat conduction, lower CPU temperatures, quieter operation, and slimmer designs. As a result, these unified designs may become more common in the world of computer hardware in the future.

0 Likes
1 Reply

Here lies the problem with what you are saying and there is nothing at all wrong with it. This is just my opinion on this topic.

Money!!!! All comes down to money...........yes you can get the cooler and fan with the chip as we used to do back in the day and sometimes you still get a cooler with it. I take the cooler and put it to the wayside for the simple fact that it is not pleasing to me myself. I was more air movement, even though these have been designed for the cpu I want to use one that is moving more air, is an AIO, or is a custom loop. All these are able to allow my computer to run fast and hotter and cool it fast and yes maybe more sound from the fan kicking on to cool it but have you heard a next gen laptop when it starts getting hot?? I have one and it sounds like a jet about to take  off so running more quiet is a fact when the cpu is not taxed but once you start doing anything and that cpu/gpu start warming up here comes the sound. These are just a few thoughts on your idea of a unified cooler and having it built for each different MB/CPU and GPU if you want to include that for every  combination would never be cost effective for a company to make them or it would limit the user to what they can do and that is why we are where we are today with everything more customizable. Back in the day it was pretty much that way in the early days and people didn't like it so that is where companies made different cpu coolers and such.

In closing great idea for a one size fits all approach but the computer world nowadays is not what it was 30 years ago.

0 Likes