cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Triks134
Journeyman III

What is the problem with visual artifacts?

Recently I purchased a new GPU to upgrade my computer. It wasn't until some time later that I noticed this problem.

The problem is that at random times small red squares (artifacts) appear on the monitor, arranged in a ladder across the monitor. At this time, the PC freezes, so I can't even move the mouse. After that, after 1-2 seconds the monitor goes out, then after about the same period of time the image returns again, but without any defects. This problem most often appears under the load on the video card, for example, in games. The video card is connected via a VGA to HDMI adapter.

The video card is not new. I want to know if the problem is due to the video card chip or not. Because artifacts do not appear all the time, but only in certain cases. 

My specifications:

CPU: Intel Pentium G2120;

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 2048SP;

RAM: 8Gb DDR3, 1066MHz;

Storage: HDD, 512Gb;

PSU: FinePower 400W.

1 Solution
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It sounds to me like your video card is either overheating or not getting sufficient power from an off-brand 400 Watt PSU.  I don't think it's the monitor.  First, see if you can monitor the GPU temperature to see if it's getting above 60 C.  Then if the temperature doesn't look too bad, I would try uninstalling the current Radeon Adrenalin graphics driver and then downloading the one AMD identifies as appropriate for your older card - it won't be the current one, but they might identify one from 2022 or 2023.  If the reinstall of the graphics driver doesn't do the trick, I would consider a more powerful (and name-brand) PSU.  I wouldn't bother buying another video card until you at least replace the PSU with something closer to 600-700 watts.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It sounds to me like your video card is either overheating or not getting sufficient power from an off-brand 400 Watt PSU.  I don't think it's the monitor.  First, see if you can monitor the GPU temperature to see if it's getting above 60 C.  Then if the temperature doesn't look too bad, I would try uninstalling the current Radeon Adrenalin graphics driver and then downloading the one AMD identifies as appropriate for your older card - it won't be the current one, but they might identify one from 2022 or 2023.  If the reinstall of the graphics driver doesn't do the trick, I would consider a more powerful (and name-brand) PSU.  I wouldn't bother buying another video card until you at least replace the PSU with something closer to 600-700 watts.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Thank you very much!

RoseCliver
Adept I

@Triks134 wrote:

Recently I purchased a new GPU to upgrade my computer. It wasn't until some time later that I noticed this problem.

The problem is that at random times small red squares (artifacts) appear on the monitor, arranged in a ladder across the monitor. At this time, the PC freezes, so I can't even move the mouse. After that, after 1-2 seconds the monitor goes out, then after about the same period of time the image returns again, but without any defects. This problem most often appears under the load on the video card, for example, in games. The video card is connected via a VGA to HDMI adapter. B&O Locksmith

The video card is not new. I want to know if the problem is due to the video card chip or not. Because artifacts do not appear all the time, but only in certain cases. 

My specifications:

CPU: Intel Pentium G2120;

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 2048SP;

RAM: 8Gb DDR3, 1066MHz;

Storage: HDD, 512Gb;

PSU: FinePower 400W.

The artifacts and freezing suggest GPU overheating or power supply issues. Check cooling, use a better VGA to HDMI adapter, or consider upgrading your PSU. If the problem persists, the GPU itself may be faulty.