Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

AvercromXD
Adept I

M2 Not recognized on first boot up after upgrading to Ryzen 7 5800X3D

Hello,

last week I upgraded to the Ryzen 7 5800X3D from my old Ryzen 5 2600. Now I have this issue, every time I start my PC after it has been off for a while (like half an hour or so), it doesn't recognize my M2 SSD, which is my boot drive so it boots into BIOS. After restarting it works just fine, but it is kinda annoying because the restart takes some time. I tried resetting the BIOS and updating the firmware of my M2 SSD. It worked fine last week for the last few years. I updated my BIOS to the latest version before upgrading the CPU. Is there something else I can try?

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RX 5700XT

MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

M2: WD Black SN850

PSU: be quiet 650W 

Let me know if you guys need more information 🙂 and thanks for your help!

1 Solution
432hz
Adept III

1. Did the issue start immediately after you installed the 5800x3D or did it take about a week to start?
  2. Does installing the 2600 again resolve the issue?
  3. Have you tried a CMOS reset on your mobo?
  4. Did you install the latest AMD chipset drivers?
  5. Have you tried re-seating your RAM / M.2?
  6. Is your CMOS battery still good / not dead?

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar

View solution in original post

4 Replies
432hz
Adept III

1. Did the issue start immediately after you installed the 5800x3D or did it take about a week to start?
  2. Does installing the 2600 again resolve the issue?
  3. Have you tried a CMOS reset on your mobo?
  4. Did you install the latest AMD chipset drivers?
  5. Have you tried re-seating your RAM / M.2?
  6. Is your CMOS battery still good / not dead?

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar

I don't know if it started immediately or a few days later but the issue is already present a few days. I did not reinstall the 2600, but I reset the CMOS on my Mobo and installed the latest chipset drivers. I did not try re-seating the M.2 and I don't know if my CMOS battery is still good, but according to this article https://www.pcworld.com/article/2072879/to-test-and-change-the-cmos-battery-of-the-mainboard.html if I don't have to reset the time after it being disconnected from wall power it should still be fine, so I assume it is fine

Thanks for the questions, I'm gonna try some of that stuff!

AvercromXD
Adept I

So I left the PC plugged into power and the problem did not occur, so I replaced the CMOS battery and now it seems to work. So thank you! I think because I was away for a few months and didn't use my PC and left it unplugged the battery was either empty or pretty drained. But I could not find any indicator in the BIOS that it's empty. So for everybody that encounters the same problem, try replacing the battery.

If your computer never lost the time setting, then the CMOS battery was likely still working.  Having the computer plugged in doesn't charge the CMOS battery.  Leaving the computer on also doesn't charge the CMOS battery.  It's likely you cleared the CMOS settings once you swapped out the CMOS battery and the BIOS probably needed that to function correctly.  When I want to clear the CMOS battery settings, I unplug the computer and pull the battery for at least five minutes.  If there are the two posts near the battery that allow you to short them for clearing the CMOS settings, I also do that.  I don't think modern motherboards have those shorting posts anymore.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes