cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

MSI stops selling Radeon cards....

The title is pretty much self explanatory and I'm getting worried about a NVIDIA sleezy dirty move like the previous GPP (GeForce Partner Program) to push out red cards off the game.

RoG didn't make a 7900XTX and you now MSI sillently pulls out of RDNA3.

Could also be the fact that RDNA3 is not selling that well compared to nvidia cards.

What do you think?

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/msi-rx-7000-series-graphics-cards-mysteriously-disap... 

The Englishman
11 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Maybe they will start producing the RDNA4 cards soon.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

if Dr. Lisa Su starts project like good old gpus  like ati 9700 pro 9800pro xt series 🙂 ( legendary cards) not only msi even pny will try to work with amd 🙂 there was also sparkle diamond his many of these not in the market nowadays...

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Check this out:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/97876/msi-no-longer-interested-in-under-performing-amd-radeon-gpus-no... 

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

MSI going green and I'm not talking about sustainable ways... 

But they should've learned something with the Claw, bad decision.

Oh well.

The Englishman
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Well, it could be a couple of things.  With EVGA gone, the primary competitors on the market are ASUS and Gigabyte and NVidia themselves.  Sure there are still some NVidia only GPU vendors like PNY and Zotac but they aren't viewed necessarily as the top tier.

AMD on the other hand also has reference boards along with ASUS and Gigabyte cards, and ASRock thrown into the mix.  Beyond that, you then have the higher end offerings from Powercolor, Sapphire and XFX which are often viewed as the "premier" AMD brands.   There probably just isn't that much space to compete on the AMD side.

GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Pretty much what @ajlueke stated. It won't be a huge loss anyway as to me, the MSI branded Radeon cards were an afterthought anyway. It's like MSI made their cards on the RX side just to say they had cards. If I didn't buy reference on the AMD side, it would always have been Sapphire, Powercolor or XFX GPU for me.

As I stated other places, hopefully, RDNA5 will compete at all tiers like the 6000 series did and then we'll get thoughtful models from the other big GPU makers (MSI, Asus, etc) Just sounds like MSI checked out on the 7000 series and I'd assume the 8000 series based on the rumors. Just hope RDNA5 got some real punch and keep Nvidia on their toes. RDNA3 looks like a surprise letdown to both AMD and Nvidia.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
FunkZ
Forerunner

It's a business decision I'm sure but it's a shame to lose another partner option.

I have an MSI HD 5670 Cyclone in my retro gaming rig.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Axxemann
Forerunner

Doesn't hurt my feelings too much. I run a Sapphire in my rig. Next upgrade with either be a Reference model, a Nitro+ or a Powercolor for ease of waterblocking. 

My nephew's rig is running an MSI card. If it gets cooked after the IPR is done, he'll be going the same route as me, because guess who built his rig?

Performance over Pretty.
zitgti
Adept I

I understand its not easy to fight against 2 giant company.Nvidia and intel.Amd cpus perfect but about gpus agains nvidia they need more options.Lets check Gaming laptop graphics options? how many gpus nvidia relase and Radeon?Msi plays big in gaming laptop industry also.Maybe they will get more credit from nvidia never knows.i m sure When radeon release powerfull gpus msi will use it.its just a business.

eebiii
Forerunner

They make better MB's anyway. Maybe they want to concentrate on that?

Just check MSI website and they are still selling 4 AMD 7000 series GPU cards: https://us.msi.com/Graphics-Cards

Screenshot 2024-05-01 165452.png

But compare to Nvidia is a tiny percentage.

Most likely due to the economy GPU cards are just too much of a luxury to spend over 700.00 dollars or higher on a GPU card due to high inflationary costs.

Nvidia's GPU cards are expensive also but seem to have a better reputation than AMD concerning drivers which could be a major factor why Users buy Nvidia over AMD. Even though AMD seems to have better or more powerful GPU cards.

I am a avid fan of AMD CPUs and kinda neutral when it comes to AMD GPU cards. At the beginning I had 2 HD GPU cards that worked fine but started to have issues. I determined that my HD GPU was bad so I decided to purchase a Nvidia 1070 GPU card. Later on I found out that my HD GPU card was not bad but instead it was bad AMD Driver causing my problems. Kept it as a backup GPU card.

The biggest difference I see between Nvidia and AMD Drivers is that all of Nvidia's drivers are WHQL certified while AMD does come out with WHQL drivers but most of the time the newer drivers are all Non-WHQL drivers.

After I accidentally damaged my Nvidia 1070 after 7 years of great service without any issues even though I frequently updated  I decided to purchase another Nvida GPU card the 4060.  I was down to a AMD 6000/7000 Series GPU card and Nvidia 4000 series GPU card.

At the end I decided on the Nvidia GPU card due to having hardly any issues with Nvidia drivers each time I updated and the Nvidia GPU card was less expensive than the AMD GPU card. The major decision was whether to purchase a 8GB GPU Nvidia card or a 12GB AMD GPU card.  For my purposes, which doesn't include gaming, the 8GB card was sufficient for my needs. If I was a gamer, I might have gone with AMD less expensive 12GB GPU card then a similar but more expensive Nvidia's 12 GB GPU cards.