cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

How-to Articles for the Red Team Community: Idea!

Hello, Red Team! 

I have an idea I'd like to run by you...

I'm thinking about posting new "How-to" articles every Friday. The articles will cover various topics about PC building (i.e. "how-to" suggestions, tips, and/or step-by-step processes). For example, next Friday, I'll start a discussion here titled "The Essential Components for building a gaming rig" and list the components and supporting links, and etc. The following Friday, I'll post something about "How to install a CPU", followed by "How to install a GPU", and so on. 

Once posted, I'll collect any feedback from you. I'll welcome any corrections, tips or better ideas from you with the goal of turning the discussion into a TKB article (Tribal Knowledge Base). Then, I'll launch the TKB category (sub-forum) to create a repository for everyone to refer to, to utilize when planning to build or upgrade a PC. 

With your help, I believe we can build this new repository to help everyone here. Needless to say, you can definitely start a discuss ion covering any topic about PC Building I may have missed. Or you can provide a list of the topics for us to develop. 

Thoughts?

@AFKG-Curtis @BigAl01 @blazek @cpurpe91 @elstaci @filinux @goodplay @GreatnessRD @jamesc359 @johnnyenglish @Key-J @kingfish @lowteck @mengelag @marinesquirel @Nagrenol @red5 @sbach34 @SubtleIQ @tenzo23 @ThunderBeaver @Weber462 @rtbh99 @eebiii 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
27 Replies

Sounds like a very good way to prevent rookie mistakes by any User that works inside their computers plus it will be a good reference source(s) for the future.

jamesc359
Forerunner

I'd be happy to contribute when and where I can. 🙂

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Wonderful idea! As part of the "how to", I think it's also important to explain the differences in parts over another. For example: the difference between an X570/X670 vs B550/ B660 MBs and why you would choose one over the other, The benefits/ difference between an X-Sku, non-X Sku, and a G-Sku Processor, DDR4 vs DDR5 and XMP timings 3200mhz/3600mhz/5200mhz/5600mhz etc, E-ATX/ATX/ Mini ITX size cases and MBs, AIO vs Tower cooler or how to set up proper Airflow in a case. I feel like a lot of people get intimidated by all the decisions or what pairs with what and why. When talking about GPU's it's also important to know what FPS your looking for and gaming resolution 1080p/1440p/4k. You would not want someone buying a 7900xtx for 1080p gaming on 1080p monitor, GPU should correspond with the resolution and fps you want to game at in the games you play most. Hopefully some of these suggestions help. Cheers

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Arctic Liquid Freezer ii - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 5TB of Crucial P5 Gen. 4 NVMe - NR200P Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

I am really looking forward to this!! Putting all the great brains together in this community to become a resource for others. 

giphy.gif

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
marinesquirel
Adept III

That's a great Idea. Maybe even start a live stream or mini YouTube series about how to pick the parts for you and do a  build. 🙂

Weber462
Challenger

I can help. 😉

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I like the idea.  Help for a first time computer builder is a start, but trouble-shooting problems is where the novice builder needs a 'tool box' of things to try.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I was going to mention that very same point also but troubleshooting can be very complex at times,  unless only the most basic troubleshooting tips are posted for the most common problems.

Plus everyone has a different method of troubleshooting which might be confusing to read.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

There could be a whole series on troubleshooting tips, starting with the basics like a system won't post at all.  At the other extreme, perhaps you have a system that randomly reboots or one that stutters when playing a certain game.  

Personally, I would like to see an article that shows you how to focus on the issue.  So many people want to RMA a component before really getting into the details of what isn't working properly.  They are likely to find that the replacement component has the same behavior, because they didn't identify the problem to start with.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
venaur
Elite

I like this idea. Any way to spread more knowledge is always cool 🙂 

Axxemann
Forerunner

DO IT!!!!!! Heck, I'm even game to toss in my two bits here and there, too!

Performance over Pretty.
Vynski
Exemplar

Be a first priority for beginners.  I like it.  You have a very knowledgeable group in this forum with experience at every level on every component.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Thank you everyone! Thank you so much...I'm excited knowing we can do this together! 

Okay, I'll be sure to mention all of you next Friday, when I post the first article. And will be sure to include the suggestions you've provided here.

Sam
Your biggest fan!
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Can I suggest @Sam_AMD that you come up with a template that others will use when they write their articles?  For example, if we create a series of PDF files, a format that everyone should be able to open and read, and they are structured with an abstract up front so you know if this is the article you need, the whole set could be posted in the forum using one of the pinned topics.

Good one @BigAl01 !

The community platform we're using has a document workflow feature (i.e. I write the article, then you/everyone can make edits. I just have to research it a bit more, and if I get it up and running correctly, then YES, we'll use it. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Ryzen bread

Ryzen 3 3250U supremacy
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Knowledge Base or "How To" is always good for the ones that are starting out in the PC World.

I'm actually building one at work for final users on sharepoint.
My take on written tutorials is: "Never skip a beat" even if you think that step is basic as ever.

Kind of reminds me the BigAl01 post of lessons learned, we did our fair share. I know I did.

I do like the idea. Lets do it! 😀

The Englishman

You know, when I was a working man, we always collected 'lessons learned' during operations - can't go into any details about what we were operating - and when you experienced an anomaly that required some actions not part of normal operational procedures, you were supposed to document what happened and what you did to resolve the issue.  Basically, you want to learn from your mistakes so you don't repeat them.

If I were to write a 'how-to article', I think it would be focused on building your computer outside the box, where you can get at all the parts easily and verify everything is working together before you install the stuff into your case.  It does require some thought, like how to support the motherboard and allow the video card to be inserted into the PCIe slot (use the motherboard box for support) and you want to ensure airflow across the components so you use a few case fans if necessary.  

filinux
Elite

Interested in doing what I can to help if needed. 

I love hardware and seeing many of the different practices folks implement in planning, building, and utilizing it.    

fraxyl
Adept I

How to install a CPU, first make sure you wash your new CPU thoroughly, hand washed is preferred but through the dishwasher will be ok as long as the CPU is compatible with at least 2 brands. After the CPU has been washed and dried, you may want to introduce it to it's surroundings by taking it on a whirlwind tour!

0 Likes

LOL...Can you do one on Hillary's wiping of a hard drive too? 😂

rtbh99
Challenger

might be fun

---
lets talk about rtbh99
0 Likes
SubtleIQ
Adept III

Sounds awesome.

Specially since building PC is a similar yet unique experience per individual.

And I am sure those of us that have been building PC's can surely thumbs up with what you come up with and/or obviously offer tips/tricks of the trade discovered/learned over the years from building PC's.

I can tell you from personal experience when I put together my first gaming pc over 20 years ago. 

I did research for over 8 months before I even purchased my parts.

When it was all said and done I went with an ASUS MB, ATI GPU, Corsair RAM, Antec PS, Antec 300 case, Lite-On CD ROM, Microsoft keyboard, Razer Mouse, I do not remember the CRT, and an AMD CPU Always.

(I have been impressed how AMD always makes cpu's with less hz, transistors, power, $$$... yet always be extremely competitive)

Michael Alan Horton
red5
Miniboss

Sounds like a good plan to me. I'll help out wherever/whenever I can.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

Great idea, let me know how I can help!

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello everyone! 

I have finished working on the first draft of the first article I've mentioned here. The "Essential Parts to build a Gaming PC". 

About the next steps, I've come up with another, better idea for how we can work together. Instead of using the TKB workflow feature, I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have created a hidden group for us, for those who are willing and able to help me. I called it the "Red Team Squad". It's hidden. No one else can see it or access it unless they're invited to the group. I've decided to take this route because it will enable us to exchange ideas freely, make any corrections, and most of all avoid confusing fellow members with misleading information. Plus, it does not impact the overall structure of the forum, and lastly, it will help me keep my sanity as collecting feedback from multiple contributors can be cumbersome (I'm old and can get easily confused LOL)! By the time you read this message, you will have received a private message with instructions for how to join the group. 

A big "Thank you" in advance to those of you who have come forward, I sincerely appreciate your kindness and willingness to help! Let's do this guys! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Looking forward to it, Boss! @Sam_AMD 💪

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes