cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Waxer2026
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5000 MSI whitelight CPU

I am brand new to building this gaming PC. I followed directions. I have an MSI motherboard that is compatible with the Ryzen 5000 series. When I power it on, the white light is on the motherboard for CPU. I do not have another motherboard or CPU to swap and see what the challenge is. Are there any experienced builders here who may be able to offer some suggestions RN?

0 Likes
7 Replies

Without knowing the Make & Model of your MSI Motherboard nor the exact AMD 5xxx processor you are using nor any type of PC information, I will just make a guess.

Did you check to make sure you have the correct BIOS Version install on your MSI Motherboard that will support your 5xxx processor?

If it is the wrong BIOS Version your MSI Motherboard won't boot up.

Did you check to make sure the RAM Memory you installed is compatible with the 5xxx processor by checking MSI SUPPORT Motherboard QVL List for the 5000 Series processors or the RAM Manufacturer's QVL List for your Motherboard?

0 Likes
Waxer2026
Journeyman III

Thank you SO much for asking. We are unsure how to update BIOS with just the power light on. The monitor is showing no signal message. We don't know chicken or egg here. We did look at MSI site. We did download to thumb drive. The MSI is B550-A Pro the AMD Ryzen 5 5600 G.

0 Likes

Great, Thanks for the update!

Your MSI Motherboard does have the BIOS FLASHBACK Feature where all you need is a USB Flash drive with the correct BIOS Version install and just power to your PC with the motherboard installed and all appropriate power cables connected to update the BIOS. Generally there is a special USB Port you use with the BIOS FLASHBACK feature: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B550-A-PRO/Specification

Screenshot 2023-01-13 143510.png

You need to connect your Monitor to one of the Motherboard's Rear video Output ports (DP or HDMI) unless you have a GPU card installed.

If you have a GPU card installed you must connect it to your GPU card video ports and not the Motherboard video ports.

According to your MSI Motherboard CPU SUPPORT LIST you need BIOS version 7C56vA7 which came out on 07/06/2021:https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B550-A-PRO/support#cpu

So if you motherboard is brand new it should have the correct BIOS version installed already. You can be sure if you want by installing the latest BIOS Version for your motherboard using the BIOS FLASHBACK button in the rear with a USB Flash Drive.

Next you need to check if your RAM is compatible with your APU processor. Here is the MSI Support QVL List for the Cezzane processors: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B550-A-PRO/support#mem

Check to see if your RAM Memory Part number is listed or not. IF it isn't listed then go to the RAM's Manufacturer's website and look under Memory Finder or something similar to see if it is compatible with your MSI Motherboard.

Try installing just one RAM Memory stick in DIMM Slot A2 and see if it boots up or not.

post back the results of your BIOS Version and RAM Number you are using and any Motherboard TROUBLE LED lights that stays on.

Thank you so much! Stunning support. Sadly, that white light for CPU stays lit. Montior says no signal. I guess it is time to call in the big dogs for a house visit.

0 Likes

Open two tickets, one to MSI Support to see if they believe it is your motherboard or due to RAM not being compatible and one to AMD Support - Warranty to see if they believe you need to RMA your CPU to be checked or not.

AMD Support - Warranty: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

EDIT: Before opening any Support ticket remove all hardware from your Motherboard except your PSU, CPU, and Windows Drive.

Power on and see if the White CPU Trouble LED light goes off and the DRAM Trouble LED light goes on and stays on.

If the White CPU Trouble LED light goes on and then off and the DRAM Trouble LED Light goes on and stays on that indicates that BIOS checked your CPU and it passed it hardware test and then found no RAM installed thus the DRAM LED being on.

But if the White CPU Trouble LED stays on with no RAM installed then you either have a CPU or Motherboard problem.

Sometimes if you have incompatible RAM memory installed it will cause the CPU TROUBLE LED light to stay on. So If the CPU LED goes off and the DRAM LED go on and you install one Stick of RAM in A2 Dimm Slot and the CPU LED light up again that would indicate the RAM is causing the CPU LED light to come on.

One way to eliminate the CPU and by installing it in another compatible motherboard or installing a different CPU in your current motherboard and see if it boots up or has the same issue.

NOTE: You may want to run MEMTEST86 using a Flash Drive to physically check your RAM to see if they are good or if one might be defective.

0 Likes
eebiii
Miniboss

awesome! @elstacielstaci

0 Likes
eebiii
Miniboss

meant @elstaci