cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

tekasza
Adept II

Adding an RX 7900 XT to an Old System? - Works Great with Smart Access Memory

To start, I won April's Red Team Sweepstakes. So, I am a very happy owner of an RX 7900 XT. 

My current PC accepted the new card with no problems, but it's a 5-year-old build with a Ryzen 7 2700X. The new Ryzen CPUs are more than twice as fast as my 2000 generation, so I was nervous that the new graphics card would be hamstrug by the rest of the system. Here are my specs:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
  • Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 - G.Skill Ripjaws V
  • GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 7900 XT OC Edition 20GB
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 (750W, 80+ Gold)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (also two Hitachi storage drives and a 1TB Sandisk SSD)
  • Case: Cooler Master MasterCase MC500P
  • Monitor: Crossover 324K 32" UHD

Given my monitor, I'm gaming at 4K and testing with maxed-out settings.

(SPOILER ALERT: Smart Access Memory is working like a charm, and I am now getting fantastic performance.)

I knew that Smart Access Memory could give newer AMD systems a big boost, but it was introduced long after I built my PC. I assumed that it wasn't compatible with my system.

When I first installed the card, I was happy and sad at the same time - The 7900XT was a massive improvement over the budget-friendly GTX 1060 I was running, but my system was bottlenecked at the CPU. I booted up Crysis 3 since I knew it would be CPU heavy. I experienced heavy stuttering, especially in the rainy first level. Then I tried Borderlands 3. The stuttering made the game unplayable. Every second or two, the game would freeze, sometimes for a full second. Between each stutter, it would run smoothly as butter, which is typical of a CPU bottleneck.

I thought I was going to have to upgrade my CPU, motherboard, and RAM before I could use the RX 7900 XT to its full potential. But then I found out that MSI created a BIOS update for my motherboard. The description read, "Update to Agesa ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.A." AGESA versions past v2 1.1.0.0 generally include Smart Access Memory support. I flashed my BIOS, made sure the system was working with the update, and turned the S.A.M. settings on.

Conclusion: Smart Access Memory killed the stuttering. The system is now max-ing out every game I have at 4K.

If you have an X470, X570, B450, or B550 motherboard and want to run a new high-end Radeon card: check to see if there is a motherboard BIOS update available with AGESA v2 1.1.0.0 or newer. If your system supports Smart Access Memory, you can run that new card just fine.

I am a flight simulator nerd, so the next upgrade to my system is a VR headset. I'm looking at an HP Reverb G2. I can post another update when I make that upgrade.

(Some more backstory: The sweepstakes win was an incredible gift - Since my wife is in grad school and we'd like to have kids and buy a house, I thought it was going to be a long time before I could make a serious upgrade to my PC. I was rocking the GTX 1060 for a long time, so this is a HUGE upgrade.) Thanks, Red Team for holding the sweepstakes.

Pics of the system below:

20230508_172327.jpg

20230521_190133.jpg

20230521_190154.jpg

20230521_185905.jpg

3 Replies
snowkiller92
Journeyman III

Hello,

You saved me a ton of hours and nerves.

I paired 7900GRE with 7 2700X and I had the exact issues as you.

Thanks a lot!

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Great story and I'm very happy you won that card.  Better yet, you did some research and found out how to maximize your gaming experience with that BIOS update.  Most people think that you should not update your motherboard's BIOS unless you have an issue.  In this case, you did have an issue and it worked out well.   Thank you for sharing your experience.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

That's awesome man, I've wondered myself how a new GPU would run on an older system. Really nice you didn't have to do a bunch of upgrades to get the performance you wanted. Enjoy your new GPU and congrats on the win!

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED