cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

which motherboard

I am torn between 2 motherboards right now. I am doing an all white build. I was hoping that they would release more motherboards with computex being out this week but it only looks like they are releasing the 870 series. 

I have narrowed it down to 2 motherboards:

ASUS Prime X670E-PRO WIFI 6E Socket AM5 (LGA 1718) Ryzen 7000 ATX Motherboard (PCIe 5.0, DDR5, 14+2 ...

ASRock X670E Taichi Carrara AM5 EATX Mainboard. 4xDDR5 slots, 2 x PCIe 5.0 x16 Slots , AMD Cross Fir...

I wish the tamahawk was in white. 

I have been reading that ASUS has had alot of problems lately and they seem to be more around the RMA side If you need a RMA , and not the functionality side of the house. 

I love the look of the Taichi but I also love the functionality of the Prime. I want this computer to last for years that is why I am looking at the x670e's. 

the reviews i have seen are both great. I am just torn between the two right now. My plan is to eventually go full liquid cooling. But to get this up and running I will go AIO first then get my parts for the liquid cooling and upgrade at a later time. 

which of these two would you pick not taking price into account but upgradability and overall product of the card. 

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB
8 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi,

I haven't told us which CPU you'll be using, I feel that is one of the very few first steps.

For instantances, if you were after a monster CPU like the 7950X and push it, then the Prime would be a not so good pair. Also, don't go after the X670 for longevity, that has nothing to do with chipset.

As an example, the RoG Strix B650E-E is a very strong board, it outshines the Prime easily, making this one a top pick for top notch CPU's while being affordable against a RoG Strix X670E-E.

The X670E Prime is not a bad board, but you should tick your boxes first.

- Budget (don't overshoot)

- Theme (color)
- IO (connectivity)
- VRM capability
- PCI-E Lane configuration
- Ram QVL

If you are going for a 7800X3D, the RoG Strix B650E-E is a really good pick, but expensive. It even has lots of nice little features, such as the 7 segment display for error codes.

If white is your thing, maybe a RoG Strix X670E-A would kick in nicely, thats the one I have and rocks the 7950X super fine, but if you are budget constrained, maybe the Prime is not a bad idea afterall.

I also strongly advise you to look and buy ram kit that is present on the board QVL to avoid EXPO issue in the future.

Good Luck

The Englishman
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Are you in a rush to build this computer?  The new 9000 series CPUs will be out next month (July 2024) and associated motherboards with the 870 series of chipsets should be out too.  It's the next step in the AM5 platform, and if you can wait a few months, I certainly would.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I am not in a big rush, I can get my fans now and wait for the cpu and mobile. I thought I read that the 9000 chip sets will still use the am5 platform so in theory the cooling shouldn’t need a new mounting bracket. 

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB

Yes, same AM5 socket on the new motherboards.  If you want to try a new 9000 series CPU, I think you'll want the new X870 chipset, due to it's ability to support PCIe 5.0 for the M.2 drives and the GPU.  The question is, 'Who will make a white X870 motherboard' and have it on the market in a few months?'.  That we do not yet know.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Some X670(E) boards already supported PCIe 5.0 on the GPU and at least one NVME drive.  As for waiting, I guess that depends on the purpose of the PC.  If it is gaming, you can get a 7000X3D processor now and they will likely be superior in games to the vanilla 9000 series.  The 9000X3D will likely launch whenever Intel decides to launch arrow lake.

I can confirm that my board already have 2 of the 4 M.2 slots with PCIe 5.0 and a full blown 16x PCIe slot too.

The Englishman

Ok then.  How about support for USB-4?

Nop, only 3.2

USB4 could deliver solid nvme speeds, this will allow the use of top of the line NVMe for external devices, although, 20Gbit of the 3.2 is fairly good for low end NVMe.

I can video edit on USB3.2 using my RoG Strix Arion external NVMe. And having the Steam library on a BIG FAST external NVMe is appealing.

But i digress on the topic at hand.

The Englishman