cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

erkins007
Journeyman III

7950x3d idle consumption

Good afternoon. The 7950x3d has a very strange idle consumption - 50-60 watts. At the same time, everything is normal in games and there are 70-80 maximums. In stress tests, everything is also OK, the trouble is only when the processor does nothing.

0 Likes
3 Replies
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

It's by design.

Try running it in ECO mode: How to enable Eco Mode with Ryzen 7000 | PCWorld

cpy
Journeyman III

ECO mode have nothing to do with idle power consumption, it's only max TDP limit. I need to find settings to enable idle state for my CPU since it only goes as low as 3.5GHz idle clock which is too **bleep** high!

0 Likes

In fact, it does have a bit. Although I'm not sure if ECO is present in X3D models.

If you think of it on a graph, the curve will be lower and as such, at the same load and frequency it should have less wattage as it won't apply the same amount of voltage in a given moment.

Of course this depends on so many factors that trying to myth bust it, is quite hard.

On average, With ECO 105 enabled I can see a very very tenuous slight difference in wattage on a 7950X

In the end I would curve optimize or undervolt it myself with a negative offset value like -0.1, this should visibly lower the wattage.

johnnyenglish_0-1680730054030.png

The Englishman
0 Likes