Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Socketz
Journeyman III

Should i upgrade to the 5800X3d?

Hey everyone!

I recently went from a 5600x to a 5800x (christmas gift) in my new pc build. My dilemma is i think i should go with 5800X3D as it seems to perform better in games i play at 1080p! (my Monitor is 360hz and dont plan on going to 1440p anytime soon due to the fact i play mostly esport titles)  I'm wondering if its worth the jump to sell my 5800x to upgrade? once i get the funding to pay the remainder. 

Current pc specs

Case: Fractal pop air

Motherboard: Gigabyte  B550 Aorus Elite AX V2 

Cpu: Ryzen 7 5800x

Cooler: Lian LI Galahad II  SL-INF 240mm

Ram: G.skill TridentZ DDR4 3600mhz

GPU: Gigabyte windforce 4070ti 

PSU: BeQuiet pure power 12m 1000watts

Storage: Western digital 1tb SN580 nvme

1 Solution
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

If you plan to keep it for a couple more years, so the small investment makes it worth, then its a nice move.

However, with the next Ryzen launch coming in fast, I would save the money for AM5 price drops. 😉

Take into consideration that some E-Sport games are CPU bound and don't seem to benefit much from the extra cache. CSGO and PUBG are an example of that.

Browse the tube for the games you play, search for small creators with no associations with easy comparisons. 😉

johnnyenglish_0-1709561653566.png

The Englishman

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

FunkZ
Grandmaster

You'd be giving up higher frequency for that extra cache.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

If you plan to keep it for a couple more years, so the small investment makes it worth, then its a nice move.

However, with the next Ryzen launch coming in fast, I would save the money for AM5 price drops. 😉

Take into consideration that some E-Sport games are CPU bound and don't seem to benefit much from the extra cache. CSGO and PUBG are an example of that.

Browse the tube for the games you play, search for small creators with no associations with easy comparisons. 😉

johnnyenglish_0-1709561653566.png

The Englishman
GEM2
Adept II

"seems to perform better in games i play at 1080p"  >> what is current FPS and what are you expecting? 

unless there is a visible ROI it does not make to make the delta upgrade, instead I would recommend to save up and make a big jump tech upgrade .

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I think you have your answer, @Socketz , based on the replies you've received.  I would consider an upgrade to your video card, as in the super series of Nvidia cards (assuming you don't want to try the AMD RX 7900 XT).  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I’m going to go with the 7800X3D as I can get a complete combo for under 1000cad and the 4070 super TI is around 1300cad. My card is only 4 months old and should be fine with the new CPU:)