cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Need recommendations for a good router, Suggestions?

Preferably something that's good for gaming and that I can also run a VPN on, maybe something with Geo filtering? What do you all use?

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
5 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

At first I was thinking you wanted a router for cutting wood.  Ha ha.  As for routers, I have generally only used Netgear products.  I haven't bought one for several years because they seem to last.  Even my network switches have been working well for years.  Yes - Netgear switches too.  

But you want performance and a bunch of the newer features I bet.  Maximum PC gave the Netgear Nighthawk RS700S an 8 out of 10 rating in their March 2024 digital issue.  It's not cheap though ($700 USD).

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
bimbom
Adept II

im still using a WRT1900ACSv2 running OpenWRT. ISP is gig symmetric fiber.

I'm assuming you meant a router and not some router+WAP combo?

I'd checkout the latest OpenWRT or Netgear hardware. Those are your best bets. Then you can pickup whatever WAP you want for bridge mode. The UAP AC Lites are affordable. You can pickup some used Eeros for a fraction of the retail price.

The $700 turnkey stuff mentioned in the comments are overpriced junk.

Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 for OpenWRT

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Here's a listing of good router deals for March 2024.

Look at all those antennas....Look at all those antennas....

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I have an ASUS RT-AX89X that has served me well for a number of years.  I got it for the parental control features as well as the 10G ethernet port and 8 on board LAN ports.    

There is an updated WiFi 7 version that includes strong VPN features, the RT-BE96U.  That one is also Tri-band, so you wouldn't have to use ethernet backhaul if you also set up a mesh network.