cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

hitbm47
Forerunner

Id Software - RAGE shadows not working properly AMD Radeon RX 480. Fixible by driver?

Hi everyone

Shadows of dynamic objects in RAGE is still barely working on my RX 480 and one of our other systems with a R9 280X for the last few years, at least since 2016.

I have most of the few graphics settings enabled in the settings menu of the game. In addition, I am attaching a few screenshots to show the incomplete shadows (currently with radeon drivers 19.3.1).

I would have captured a video with Radeon ReLive as a better example, but AMD has not interfaced the Radeon Overlay with the OpenGl graphics API.

It would be kind if the driver team could investigate and hopefully improve on this.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi hitbm47‌, I checked it just now, this fix has been added in the next driver. Thanks for your patience!

View solution in original post

17 Replies
dorisyan
Staff

Hi hitbm47‌, thanks for your report, and we will investigate it soon.

Hi dorisyan‌ thank you I am very glad to hear!

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi dorisyan

Ok so I went as far as getting Rage to run for brief moments on Ubuntu Linux 18.04.2 with the latest mesa drivers released from amd.com this month for Ubuntu and by using Proton 3.7-8 to run the standard 32bit version of Rage.

I took screenshots to confirm shadows are properly with this amd setup of mine, but unfortunately texture pop-ins and bugs are everywhere with this combination of software, but amd mesa opengl drivers render dynamic shadows properly. In addition, framerate is very inconsistent due to non-native platform.

I was able to test Wolfenstein The Old Blood as well, and it performs almost on par with the windows combination, with almost no visual bugs, only Rudi Jager's hair had some visual anomalies.

I hope this can help in resolving the shadow bugs in windows.

Kind regards

Jacques

20190409174834_1.jpg20190409175828_1.jpg20190409175836_1.jpg20190409180047_1.jpg20190409180201_1.jpg

0 Likes

Hi hitbm47‌, Thanks for your information, I'm investigating this issue. 

dorisyan
Staff

Hi, hitbm47‌, Thanks for your report, this issue has been solved, and the fix will be released in the later driver.

dorisyan‌ this is awesome news!

Thank you for your effort and I am looking forward to the new driver and seeing the team's result!

Does this mean it will be present in the next optional driver or the next recommended driver?

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes

Unfortunately it does not seem to be included with the 19.4.3 driver that was released today, hopefully it will be included in the next driver.

0 Likes

Right, It will be released in the next driver, thanks for your patience.

hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi

Sorry but I have unmarked this solution in the meantime, until it is working in one of the new drivers. I have downloaded 19.5.1 yesterday and the fix is not present yet.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes

Hi hitbm47‌, I checked it just now, this fix has been added in the next driver. Thanks for your patience!

Hi dorisyan

Thank you for your response. I would just like to ask for better clarity, when you say next driver do you mean the next "optional driver" or the next "major/official driver update"?

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes

Yes, the next major driver update.

hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi everyone

I would just like to inform you that the fix is not present in the next official driver, which was released yesterday on the 3rd of June. Although it seems like a re-release of 19.5.2, there is a 1MB difference from the 22 May version, where 1MB can be a large sum of code changes.

Kind regards

0 Likes
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hey guys

I am very glad to let you know that the shadow fix is working in my 19.7.1 driver!! But I am also sad that the performance fix for Unreal Tournament 3 does not seem to be present yet

Thank you to the OpenGL team! Hopefully OpenGL performance can be improved on as well, I still have to do further tests in this regard, but currently in Rage it seems to fall just short of 60FPS quite often.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes
hitbm47
Forerunner

dorisyan‌ Thank you for fixing the shadows.

It does make the game a lot more authentic looking again.

Disabling "Texture Detail" in Rage improves frame rate a lot, but enabling it causes frequent stuttering.

0 Likes
hitbm47
Forerunner

dorisyan‌ I would just like to thank you again for fixing this issue with the OpenGL driver for RAGE (2011).

All the graphics in this game seems to be looking up to standard with pretty good performance in my current Driver 20.8.1 and even anti-aliasing is working in the game, which I did not remember working for most of my OpenGL games with Radeon Drivers, including this one, and x8 AA seems to be working smoothly in this driver with barely a performance impact on my RX 480.

I just wish something could be done for the performance of other OpenGL applications, such as Wolfenstein The New Order and Old Blood, PSX2 Emulator with Radeon GCN cards.

Unfortunately I can't tell if it's due to the driver or developers not utilizing the extensions given by AMD, since RAGE uses OpenGL 3.3 and ID Tech 5, but Wolfenstein OpenGL 3.2 and also ID Tech 5 but by different developer MachineGames.

In addition, the Radeon Overlay is still not compatible with OpenGL.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Thanks for your suggestions, in fact, tuning perf is a long-time work, we will make great efforts on it in the future.