cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

Staff
Staff

Re: Id Software - RAGE shadows not working properly AMD Radeon RX 480. Fixible by driver?

Jump to solution

Hi hitbm47‌, I checked it just now, this fix has been added in the next driver. Thanks for your patience!

View solution in original post

Elite
Elite

Re: Id Software - RAGE shadows not working properly AMD Radeon RX 480. Fixible by driver?

Jump to solution

Hi dorisyan

Thank you for your response. I would just like to ask for better clarity, when you say next driver do you mean the next "optional driver" or the next "major/official driver update"?

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Yes, the next major driver update.

Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

Hi everyone

I would just like to inform you that the fix is not present in the next official driver, which was released yesterday on the 3rd of June. Although it seems like a re-release of 19.5.2, there is a 1MB difference from the 22 May version, where 1MB can be a large sum of code changes.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

Hey guys

I am very glad to let you know that the shadow fix is working in my 19.7.1 driver!! But I am also sad that the performance fix for Unreal Tournament 3 does not seem to be present yet

Thank you to the OpenGL team! Hopefully OpenGL performance can be improved on as well, I still have to do further tests in this regard, but currently in Rage it seems to fall just short of 60FPS quite often.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

dorisyan‌ Thank you for fixing the shadows.

It does make the game a lot more authentic looking again.

Disabling "Texture Detail" in Rage improves frame rate a lot, but enabling it causes frequent stuttering.

0 Kudos
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

dorisyan‌ I would just like to thank you again for fixing this issue with the OpenGL driver for RAGE (2011).

All the graphics in this game seems to be looking up to standard with pretty good performance in my current Driver 20.8.1 and even anti-aliasing is working in the game, which I did not remember working for most of my OpenGL games with Radeon Drivers, including this one, and x8 AA seems to be working smoothly in this driver with barely a performance impact on my RX 480.

I just wish something could be done for the performance of other OpenGL applications, such as Wolfenstein The New Order and Old Blood, PSX2 Emulator with Radeon GCN cards.

Unfortunately I can't tell if it's due to the driver or developers not utilizing the extensions given by AMD, since RAGE uses OpenGL 3.3 and ID Tech 5, but Wolfenstein OpenGL 3.2 and also ID Tech 5 but by different developer MachineGames.

In addition, the Radeon Overlay is still not compatible with OpenGL.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestions, in fact, tuning perf is a long-time work, we will make great efforts on it in the future.