Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

608xperience
Adept I

OpenCL not working on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with RX 6700 XT

Greetings, all.

On a fresh Ubuntu installation, OpenCL support sees clinfo reporting 1 platform but no devices. Details:

uname -a: Linux arwen 5.8.0-53-generic #60~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 6 09:52:46 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Driver installed: amdgpu-pro-21.10-1247438-ubuntu-20.04

Install command: sudo ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=rocr,legacy

User added to 'render' and 'video' groups

Motherboard is an ASRock B550 TW

After install and reboot, output of clinfo is as follows:

=====================

Number of platforms 1
Platform Name AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Platform Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Platform Version OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (3246.0)
Platform Profile FULL_PROFILE
Platform Extensions cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback
Platform Extensions function suffix AMD

Platform Name AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Number of devices 0

NULL platform behavior
clGetPlatformInfo(NULL, CL_PLATFORM_NAME, ...) No platform
clGetDeviceIDs(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, ...) No platform
clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [default] No platform
clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [other] No platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_DEFAULT) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CUSTOM) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL) No devices found in platform

=====================

I also did a ROCm install on a fresh install. With the latest ROCm, clinfo correctly reported devices, but video was glitchy with all manner of artifacts on-screen. Moreover, although clinfo reported the device, both bminer and teamredminer crypto mining packages were unable to detect the platform.

So, it seems that both the open-source and official AMD driver for the RX 6700 XT are broken. It would be useful to let the OpenCL devs know.

Warmest regards!

0 Likes
6 Replies
608xperience
Adept I

Should this thread be moved to the OpenCL forum, @dipak ?

Cheers,

trane

0 Likes

Hi @608xperience ,

I've moved the post to the OpenCL forum and whitelisted you for the AMD Devgurus community.

Thanks.

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

Hi @608xperience ,

I've reported the above issue to the concerned team. If I get any update on this, I'll let you know.

Please note that Navi cards such as RX 6700XT are not officially supported with the latest ROCm 4.2. For more information, please find below links:

https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm#Hardware-and-Software-Support

https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm/issues/1465

Thanks.

0 Likes

Thanks. My main concern is with the main amdgpu-pro driver. Current ROCm supports max. 5.6 kernel and the new Ubuntu 20.04 LTS ships with 5.8. I'd rather the official drivers support the current LTS than resort to downgrading my kernel.

Much appreciated!

0 Likes

As I've been informed, our team was unable to reproduce the clinfo issue with the latest amdgpu-pro 21.10. Below are their observations:

1>  ./amdgpu-pro-install –opencl=rocr --> Successfully installed and able to get full clinfo
2> ./amdgpu-pro-install –opencl=legacy, rocr --> Successfully installed and able to get full clinfo

Here are detailed steps:

1. Download the amdgpu-pro-21.10-1247438-ubuntu-20.04.tar.xz  from AMD website and extract the package
2. Install the driver using: ./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=legacy, rocr    

3. Add the user to the video and render groups with following commands:

sudo usermod -a -G video $LOGNAME

sudo usermod -a -G render $LOGNAME

4. Reboot the setup
5. Check the clinfo

Please note that Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS with kernel 5.4 was used for the above test. It looks like the latest amdgpu-pro internal build, which works with kernel 5.8, is expected to be released soon.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi.

Certainly did all those instructions per my initial post. Absolutely did not work with the 5.8 kernel. I will keep an eye out for the new driver release, test and advise as soon as it's available.

Thanks.

trane

0 Likes