cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

rdenmon
Challenger

In need of a new chilli recipe

I love making my chilli, but it seems to be slightly off. I tried redoing it many times but I think at this point I am ready to try something new. Tell me about some recipes you have tried and liked for Chilli , spicy and not spicy are okay

1 Solution
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I've been perfecting this recipe for 15 years. It's requested anytime there is a gathering of friends and never lasts the night. Enjoy!

My Holy Trinity Pulled Pork Chili

Ingredients:

- 2 tablespoons veg oil
- 3 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into chunks big enough to pull out after to pull apart
- 1 pack bacon cut up in pieces
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1.5 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup prepared black coffee
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 cans of tomato puree
- 1 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (15-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) cans brown beans in sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 1 pkg of chili seasoning (not needed but encouraged)

Step 1. Add to slow cooker or large stock pot: - Canned Ingredients and other liquid ingredients - Diced vegetables - Spices
Step 2. Add: - Brown meat in pan then add chunks of pork and bacon into pot {add some salt)
Step 3: - Simmer until pork is tender enough to pull apart - take pork chunks out of chili and pull part with a fork, then add back to pot - Serve

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Are we talking chili from scratch? Because I'm still using the chili packets 🤣

Following for recipes others share!! 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

Any that tastes good. I'm not afraid to use a packet! Was hoping this thread would pop off. I wanted to make chili Saturday!

0 Likes

I always like to add a pinch of cumin to mine. It gives it a south western flavor that's quite good. Add to that using fresh ingredients goes a long ways. Also for some reason it's always better the next day.

Yes - agreed! I'll always do the standard tomato sauce, beans, and packets - then I add minced garlic and hot sauce to mine 🙂 gives it a little kick and extra flavor! (And seasoning the ground beef when cooking it helps with flavor a lot) 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

NO BEANS!

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one that uses a packet! 😂

I swear I've never heard a Texan say THAT!!!!!! I thought you all took your chilli SERIOUSLY down there, the same way we Canadians take our Poutine seriously!

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Wait, my brother actually makes some pretty good chili and has a recipe. I'm going to reach out to him and hopefully circle back here in time with it!

hold1.gif

EDIT:
HE CAME THROUGH!

Award Winning Chili aka “The Quiet One” (lol at this name...)

Calories: 306 kcal
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Keto and Paleo Friendly

• 2 ½ lb. Ground Beef (Use Ground Beef Chuck - 80% Lean/20% Fat)
  • ½ Large Onion (chopped; use Sweet Onion; ~1 ½ Cups)
  • 8 Cloves Garlic
  • 2 15-oz. Can Diced Tomatoes (with liquid; 14.5-oz. can works too)
  • 1 6-oz. Can Tomato Paste
  • 1 4-oz. Can Green Chiles (with liquid; Mild used, but can use a hotter one if preferred)
  • 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
  • ¼ Cup Chili Powder
  • 2 Tbsp. Cumin (Ground version)
  • 1 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
  • 2 Tsp. Sea Salt
  • 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
  • 1 Medium Bay Leaf (Preferred, but not required)

Crock Pot Slow Cooker Instructions (Preferred)

1. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chopped onion for 5-7 minutes, until
    translucent (or increase the time to about 20 minutes if you like them caramelized;
    preferred). Add the garlic and cook for a minute or less, until fragrant.
  2. Add the ground beef. Cook for 8-10 minutes, breaking apart with a spatula, until
    browned.
  3. Transfer the ground beef mixture into a slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, except
    bay leaf, and stir until combined. Place the bay leaf into the middle, if using.
  4. Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high (I cooked it for 8 hours on low). If you
    used a bay leaf, remove it before serving.

Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Instructions

1. Select the "Sauté" setting on the pressure cooker (this part is done without the lid). Add
    the chopped onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, until translucent (or increase the time to
    about 20 minutes if you like them caramelized). Add the garlic and cook for a minute or
    less, until fragrant.
  2. Add the ground beef. Cook for 8-10 minutes, breaking apart with a spatula, until
    browned.
  3. Add remaining ingredients, except bay leaf, to the Instant Pot and stir until combined.
    (For the Instant Pot version, it is recommended to also add a cup of water or broth.)
    Place the bay leaf into the middle, if using.
  4. Close the lid. Press "Keep Warm/Cancel" to stop the saute cycle. Select the "Meat/Stew"
    setting (35 minutes) to start pressure cooking.
  5. Wait for the natural release if you can, or turn the valve to "vent" for quick release if
    you're short on time. If you used a bay leaf, remove it before serving.

Nutrition Facts
Servings - 10 Cups
Calories: 306
Fat: 18g
Protein: 23g
Total Carbs: 13g
Net Carbs: 10g
Fiber: 3g
Sugar: 5g

I think I'm missing cumin and green chillies or I'm missing cumin and packets. So the above one if I'm ambtious and packets and cumin if lazier....if your brother wishes to gain AMD fame, post it! @Amber_AMD @jamesc359 - which brand of packets y'all using?

That's pretty close to my chili recipe, except I use ground venison! I also like to add a can of chipotle in adobo for that smoky hit. I'll even take my basic recipe and do an "Over The Top" version on my charcoal bbq pit. That one gets all the meats: Brisket, pulled pork/pork steak cubes, sausage, ground beef and ground venison. The trick is to make a few big meatballs with the ground meats, mix all the "sauce" components into the pot along with the precooked meats (brisket, pork, sausage... these really should be leftovers!) and then put the meatballs on a rack on top of the pot. Let the pit smoke the meatballs until they're cooked through, then break them up into the chili pot. If you dare, you can skim off the fat. I generally avoid skimming the fat with 80/20 (or as we call it here in Canada, Lean Ground Beef which is more like an 83/17 mix, where Medium is a 78/22 mix) since venison is INCREDIBLY lean, and can dry out in a hurry.

Performance over Pretty.

Brisket is good in chilli.. the meat lovers version you describe.....how much of each and how much beans etc are you using. Sounds like a large vat of food....which I am not opposed to making.

Beans have no place in my chilli. Use as much meat as you want.

Performance over Pretty.

All I know is whatever you end up going with, you better share the results!

Not to put too much pressure on me regarding who I choose.... Well I will make it, and then maybe we can see which ideas I adopted in to my Chili, just by looking at the image!

@Wally_AMD your recipe is in the pot, i will be consuming it in 3.5 hours. Stay tuned for a posted image. I chose to do yours first as the other one looks like a mission, simplicity ruled for this Saturday.

0 Likes

So....the results are in.

20230422_203615.jpg

20230422_205050.jpg

 . Holy Crud this was tasty. First few bites I was skeptical then before I knew it I ate two bowls. Thank you for the recipe. Next up....stay tuned

0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I've been perfecting this recipe for 15 years. It's requested anytime there is a gathering of friends and never lasts the night. Enjoy!

My Holy Trinity Pulled Pork Chili

Ingredients:

- 2 tablespoons veg oil
- 3 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into chunks big enough to pull out after to pull apart
- 1 pack bacon cut up in pieces
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1.5 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup prepared black coffee
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 cans of tomato puree
- 1 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (15-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) cans brown beans in sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 1 pkg of chili seasoning (not needed but encouraged)

Step 1. Add to slow cooker or large stock pot: - Canned Ingredients and other liquid ingredients - Diced vegetables - Spices
Step 2. Add: - Brown meat in pan then add chunks of pork and bacon into pot {add some salt)
Step 3: - Simmer until pork is tender enough to pull apart - take pork chunks out of chili and pull part with a fork, then add back to pot - Serve

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

Did you tailor this recipe for me? I will make this soon and post it along with @Wally_AMD recipe

Pulled pork chili???

homerdrool.gif

You lost me at cilantro.

Performance over Pretty.
thomasstevens
Journeyman III

Certainly! Here's a classic chili recipe that you can enjoy, and you can adjust the spice level to your preference. This recipe serves about 4-6 people:

Ingredients:

• 1 pound (450g) ground beef (or ground turkey, chicken, or a meat substitute)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
  • 2 cups beef or vegetable broth
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder (adjust to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust for spiciness)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Olive oil for cooking
  • Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, sliced jalapeños, or fresh cilantro

Instructions:

1. Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and the chopped onions. Cook for about 3-5 minutes until the onions become translucent.

2. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.

3. Add the ground beef (or your choice of meat) to the pot. Break it apart with a spoon and cook until it's browned and no longer pink. Drain any excess fat if needed.

4. Stir in the chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes to toast the spices, stirring constantly.

5. Add the diced tomatoes (with their juices) and tomato paste to the pot. Stir to combine with the meat and spices.

6. Pour in the beef or vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

7. Add the diced bell peppers, kidney beans, and black beans to the chili. Simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes until the peppers are tender and the flavors meld together.

8. Taste the chili and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, and additional chili powder or cayenne pepper if you want more heat.

9. Serve the chili hot in bowls, and top with your choice of toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, jalapeños, or cilantro.

10. Enjoy your delicious homemade chili!

Feel free to customize this recipe with, for instance, chicken casserole recipes and further by adding other ingredients like corn, diced jalapeños, or different types of beans to suit your taste. Enjoy your chili with some cornbread or tortilla chips for a complete meal.