Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Favorite Music Playlists/Genres

Happy Monday Red Team,

It’s ya boi, Wally, back at it with… OK enough of that cheesiness, haha. I hope everyone had a great weekend filled with time for your favorite hobbies, your families, friends, or gaming (or all the above)!

I had all of Saturday to myself (my fiancée works weekends here and there), so you know I spent a lot of time at my PC. I’ve started playing Path of Exile and Starcraft II (custom games to be specific – Tower Defenses) again and remembered how much fun games like those are. In other words, games where you can almost mindlessly grind for hours on end. The kind of game where you just put on some music, sit back in your chair and game. 

I usually listen to the same genres or playlists on Spotify when I game – usually a mix of hip hop or a variety of rock (metal/punk/indie/hardcore/etc.) – and am super interested in knowing if you all like to listen to music or a podcast (or watch TV/movies) while you play a game, do some work, etc. too.

gamingplaylist.JPG

If so, what do you find yourself listening to typically?

I still have so many games to look into from all of your recommendations the other week, and I’ll likely follow up on those in the near future, so your music may help keep me going!

17 Replies
GreatnessRD
Challenger

I listen to a lot of instrumentals now (Shoutout to Evil Needle, thank me later) But I still listen to rap, but my teenhood rap. Don't listen a lot to the newer stuff. So Jay-Z, Cam'Ron, T.I, Jeezy, etc. and I'll switch it up with other genres. I can listen to almost anything outside of that screaming Death Metal wildness. 😆

And weekend had me in the first half. Then I saw the Ravens get completely embarrassed AT HOME after leading 35-14. 😐

Ryzen 7 5800X3D| AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 Black
Corsair Dominator 32GB 4x8 | 970 Evo+/ WD SN550 1 TB/860 Evo 500GB | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base Airflow

Instrumentals are something I really enjoy too. I went down a path when I got into hip hop years back that took me through different eras, then flat out instrumentals/beat tapes. Popular producers and DJs like J Dilla, DJ Shadow, madlib, nujabes, etc. etc. (ALSO, sorry about the Ravens if they're your team, haha.)

I as well listen to instrumentals from the 1940' to today's progressive sounds, I can not just play one type of music while gaming I need to hear a wide range it's very relaxing to me.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Right now if I want to listen to instrumentals I like this band Polyphia. Everyone in the band is just super talented. They have a new song that isn't an instrumental but Playing God, G.O.A.T., the whole album New Levels New Devils, the guitars and bass just blow my mind most of the time. Their drummer is nuts too. 

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM 3200Mhz, Gigabyte RX 6800 XT Gaming OC, Corsair RM850x 850 Watt Fully Modular PSU, Win11Pro
0 Likes

Ok, Ok whatchu know about that J Dilla and Nujabes?! The game sorely misses them. May they continue to rest in peace. And yeah, I'm a Ravens fan. By far one of the biggest meltdowns in Baltimore sports history, lol.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D| AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 Black
Corsair Dominator 32GB 4x8 | 970 Evo+/ WD SN550 1 TB/860 Evo 500GB | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base Airflow

I'll have to check in on you throughout the season then - just for fun, haha. 

johnnyenglish
Forerunner

I'm more into alternative rock, metal, instrumental and some in game music.

Music needs to be for the right occasion. If I'm on a big trip driving, working, having a coffee or chilling.

The selection:

johnnyenglish_0-1663670971624.pngjohnnyenglish_1-1663671023722.pngjohnnyenglish_2-1663671062828.png

johnnyenglish_9-1663672559376.pngjohnnyenglish_4-1663671174379.pngjohnnyenglish_5-1663671229388.png

johnnyenglish_7-1663672048219.pngjohnnyenglish_8-1663672474952.pngjohnnyenglish_10-1663672679476.png

The Englishman

Definitely agree with music having to be just right for whatever occasion. Love a lot of what you have up here! (Gorillaz, M83, DOOM OST, Sum 41, Tiesto)

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I generally have the 'Massive Attack' station from Pandora running a good part of the day.  Sometimes I switch to jazz though, like when we have people over for Tuesday evening wine events.  Tonight is International night and the theme is wine from Africa.  I have a bottle of Chardonnay from Tunisia to open.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I love Massive Attack! Are you a fan of Portishead? Seems like they'd be right up your alley based on your taste.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Of course.  I have most of their CDs.  Also Radiohead, Pink Floyd and King Crimson.  There are many more.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Oh, I forgot the Sneaker Pimps.  Becoming X is playing as I type this, on Pandora of course.

0 Likes

Radiohead is actually my all time favorite. Great taste in tunes, Al!

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

The music I listen to when I get on the MMO grind is difficult to predict. My taste in music is absolutely random. I will jump from Spotify playlists like Skatepark Punks to Retrowave Synthwave to Out The Mud to Happy Drive to Quarantine Jams. My Discover Weekly playlist is jarring to listen to at times. 

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM 3200Mhz, Gigabyte RX 6800 XT Gaming OC, Corsair RM850x 850 Watt Fully Modular PSU, Win11Pro
0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I really like Polyphia's "New Levels New Devils" album when I grind in MMOs. Either that or some nice Retrowave, or Synthwave tunes on Spotify.

Polyphia is a great choice! Definitely great music to grind away to in an mmo/dungeon crawler.

0 Likes
Vynski
Miniboss

Old Country Legends.  Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Waylon, Willie and the Boys, The Statler Brothers, Charlie Pride, Garth Brooks, Brooks and Dunn, and my favorite George Strait  You got the picture now.

Some unforgettable memories like the night Dolly Parton sang "I Will Always Love You" on her last appearance on Porter Wagner Show.  Another when she sang "He's Alive" at the CMA awards just a few years back.  The number one hit in 1949, the year I was born, Ghost Riders In The Sky" by Stan Jones.  Perhaps that is why it has always been my favorite song.  Of all the remakes, I feel like Johnny Cash did it more justice than any.  If you have never heard "Chattanooga City Limits Sign" by Johnny Cash you have to look it up.  You will love it.

That's who I am. Country music  and Westerns.