cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Fixing Stuff

Are you handy to have around the house when things break or otherwise fail to work properly?  Do you save broken items (toasters, microwave ovens, speakers, receivers, etc.) thinking you might fix them some day?  Then you'll like how my little repair project worked out yesterday.

I really love the Klipsch 2.1 computer speakers and I have so ever since they came out more than a dozen years ago.  They are THX certified and sound great.  They aren't all that expensive considering the quality of sound output you get.  Anyway, I own many sets of these speakers, even the 4.1 setups with surround sound.  But things don't last forever, and that's especially true with loudspeakers.  I used to work at JBL Sound in Northridge, California for 1-2 years back in the late 1970's, and I learned quite a bit about how loudspeakers are made.  I know some of the wear-out mechanisms and it's usually deterioration of the foam surrounds that connect the speaker cone to the speaker frame.  Several years ago I had set aside one system due to resonating bass which is what can happen if the speaker cone isn't uniformly held to the frame, keeping the voice coil in alignment with the magnet that moves it up and down.  A week ago I had another system that was connected to my recent rebuild of TOTB, which was set on top of my workbench shelving unit, start doing the same resonating thing to where I had to keep the volume pretty low to avoid it.  Well, that won't do!  

I first took down the TOTB speaker set and pulled the amplifier section out of the back.  I looked in there and I could see that one of the loudspeakers (there are two identical ones in the cabinet) had chunks of foam missing.  I knew this was the source of the problem.  Now, if I had lots of time and patience, I might be able to have the speaker 're-coned', which means installing a new foam surround.  But remember that I had an even older system that I had set aside.  I opened that one up and sure enough, the same speaker in that one had the foam crumbling from the speaker cone.  But the other speaker looked good, and remember - both speakers in the cabinet are identical.  So I pulled out the good speaker from the old unit and installed it in the one from the workbench.  I hooked it up and I found joy.  I played a few songs pretty loud (my wife wasn't home at the time) and they sounded very good.  

So, lessons learned?  Sometimes you should save parts of systems that are similar or the same as other units you have in use.  Swapping out parts isn't all that hard if you are good with hand tools and it didn't cost me a penny to get the TOTB speaker system back in operation.  Long live Klipsch!

Do you have a repair story to share?  It doesn't have to involve a computer.  Tell us about it.

The Workbench Klipsch 2.1 subwoofer unit that was making some bad noises.The Workbench Klipsch 2.1 subwoofer unit that was making some bad noises.I removed the amplifier section screws to allow access to the speaker wires.I removed the amplifier section screws to allow access to the speaker wires.I can see air though a section of the foam surround.  Not good, but I know that is the problem.I can see air though a section of the foam surround. Not good, but I know that is the problem.Ok, I popped off the grill cover and now I will remove this loudspeaker (aka driver).Ok, I popped off the grill cover and now I will remove this loudspeaker (aka driver).I dug out my old unit that I took out of service maybe five years ago.I dug out my old unit that I took out of service maybe five years ago.Oh oh!  Same exact problem with this unit.  But I found the speaker on the other side wasn't damaged.  I'm in luck.Oh oh! Same exact problem with this unit. But I found the speaker on the other side wasn't damaged. I'm in luck.I successfully swapped out the bad speaker with a good speaker from my spare unit.I successfully swapped out the bad speaker with a good speaker from my spare unit.The grill has been reinstalled and now I just need to lift it up above the workbench and hook it up.  Success!The grill has been reinstalled and now I just need to lift it up above the workbench and hook it up. Success!

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
6 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I guess nobody was impressed with my ability to fix the subwoofer at no cost.  It pays to keep old parts on hand, if you have the room.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I do the same (keeping things that have broke in one way or another) and my wife wants me to always purge(give to her to take to work and depose of) but this is a prime example of why you do not....LOL Thanks for sharing.

Vynski
Exemplar

Awesome!

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I'm not that handy but yes, nothing gets wasted and I'll attempt to repair/reuse everything.

Shoes, decoration items, mugs, toys, headphones, you name it.

If they return to their full glory, maybe not.......

Recently I'm repairing the headphones and a very old SPARCO shoes with the leather patch I bought.
Also 3D printed a phone stand for the car so I could use my very old Xperia M2, this way the kid has something to watch during our travels.

The Englishman
jaandoh
Challenger

Yeah, I love it, I guess lots of people have been recycling, repairing and maintaining lots of different items long before recycling became a thing in the media (tv). 

And in essecence everyone is helping save the planet by giving life again to old equipment which may have passed it's best... 

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

That's pretty awesome man!

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED