cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

Vynski
Exemplar

Driverless Cars

When I first saw some of the demonstrations of how computer technology was going to reduce the number of deaths on our nations highways it puzzled me very much.

Just look at all of the issues computer users, you and me alike, have had over the years of operating them.

I have to ask;  How many of you are trust worthy of releasing the steering wheel of your vehicle on the highway, traveling at 60 MPH?

Stop and think now;  How many times have you experienced a BSOD?

Driverless cars brings a whole new connotation to "Blue Screen Of Death".  I know it sounds sarcastic, but true.

Love you all and hope you enjoy the rest of the holidays.

Too many computers to post a system (Still have one laptop running Windows 95.  It is so obsolete cannot get a battery for it.  Have to reset the BIOS every time we turn it on).

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
4 Solutions
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Personally, I am not ready to let go of the steering wheel, even on the highway.  I don't have a self-driving vehicle, so it's not even an issue for me to consider, but given the current technology, it's not there yet in modern vehicles.  Funny thing though.  We can send a rocket to the moon and back, all on auto pilot, and it works.  We need some of that tech to trickle down to our highways.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

Not much traffic out there and no road to run off into the ditch.

0 Likes
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Nope! Won't catch me giving up control of the wheel. If on the off chance I'm too tired or too drunk, I'll call someone to pick me up or sleep in the car. A.I isn't gonna catch me slippin' because one of the sensors misinterpreted something now I'm head first in a tree. Hard pass 😅

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

Axxemann
Forerunner

I earned my living driving other people's stuff in someone else's vehicle for the better part of 25 years, and have been driving since the age of 14. No way I'm giving up the wheel.

Performance over Pretty.

8 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Personally, I am not ready to let go of the steering wheel, even on the highway.  I don't have a self-driving vehicle, so it's not even an issue for me to consider, but given the current technology, it's not there yet in modern vehicles.  Funny thing though.  We can send a rocket to the moon and back, all on auto pilot, and it works.  We need some of that tech to trickle down to our highways.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Not much traffic out there and no road to run off into the ditch.

0 Likes
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Nope! Won't catch me giving up control of the wheel. If on the off chance I'm too tired or too drunk, I'll call someone to pick me up or sleep in the car. A.I isn't gonna catch me slippin' because one of the sensors misinterpreted something now I'm head first in a tree. Hard pass 😅

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
Axxemann
Forerunner

I earned my living driving other people's stuff in someone else's vehicle for the better part of 25 years, and have been driving since the age of 14. No way I'm giving up the wheel.

Performance over Pretty.
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Well, not me. I'm all about technology, AI, self-driving cars...the future! I trust computers, I have faith in engineers and those who are spearheading fully automated/self-driving cards. I envision my 6-year-old boy 10 years from now lounging in a self-driving car, on the phone, eating a snack, watching a video, or playing a video game on his way to visit me. I drive a Tesla and tested the full-auto feature the moment I got it. It worked beautifully (but yes, it was nerve-wracking, exhilarating, and fun!). I went from my home to COTA (about a 30-mile drive) barely touching the steering wheel (the software forces you to keep a hand on it). The car sensed the red lights (came to a complete stop, and gently restarted as soon as the light turned green), took the turns as expected, and kept the pre-defined distance while driving to its destination. Self-driving cars come with numerous sensors, safety, and early warning features. The car "sees" numerous types of still and moving objects (orange cones, poles, pedestrians, motorcycles riders, bikes, and even dogs). I agree that we're not 100% there yet, but in time we will be. Technology drives the future.

In the end, I firmly believe self-driving cars are coming, they may not be accepted by folks of my generation (I understand the hesitation), but it's the future, and I can't wait to see it happen.  

Great discussion guys! 😉

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

I have farmed all my life (73 yrs) along with a full time job (in education).  Technology infiltrated into farm equipment in the late 80's early 90's.  The working conditions are not conducive to technology devices, such as sensors.  They have caused numerous problems on equipment involving them.  An example, fuel gauge stops working, cost to repair $1400 because it is part of that instrument panel and you have to replace the whole panel.  This was in the late 90's early 2K.  We now lease the cropland out.  Our tenant has a near new combine that had so many  of these related problems it cost's him over 3 weeks of perfect harvesting weather this past fall.  This is not acceptable, in my opinion.  Yes, they do use GPS and you do not have to have a hand on the wheel like the cars.  But when these devices go bad, you have no way to wire around them, just repair them at a premium price.

0 Likes

Has anyone read articles about the Ford tractor company was experimenting with a tractor that has no seat.  None what so ever.

It's for farmers that have lost their Axx and don't know where to find it.😂

Have a nice day.

0 Likes

@Vynski wrote:

It's for farmers that have lost their Axx and don't know where to find it.😂

For a second I thought that was a jab at me... then I realized you were saying a$$. 🤣

Performance over Pretty.