cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

AMD Blocking DLSS is AMD sponsored games.

O.K AMD it has come to my attention that a game you are sponsoring is going to be an exclusively FSR title.

It has also come to my attention that you have been asked to comment as to your policy around developers who are developing these titles as to if they have been told not to implement DLSS in these titles and to keep it as exclusively FSR.

nVidia has responded that "they in no way impinge on developers abilities to add alternate rendering systems regardless of sponsorship", your response thus far has been "No Comment" , not even a we are preparing a statement and this in itself is very damning.

You needn't think that this will just die a natural death because I for one am asking about it everywhere I can and until AMD which is in my opinion is blocking DLSS on these titles fesses up and undoes what they are doing I will keep pushing as this behavior is anti competition and anti gamer.

If FSR cant stand side by side with DLSS and let the user decide what is best then FSR needs to die.

53 Replies

I have contacted the FTC with the following... Lets see what they think...

Hello,
I would like to know what I should do about this, there is a company which it has been suggested is undertaking anti competitive behavior by blocking their competition from the marketplace.
While there is significant anecdotal evidence to suggest this is the case the only way that I believe actual documentation will be provided regarding this situation is for them to be legally compelled to produce it.
Is there anything that the FTC can do?
The status Quo if these suppositions are correct is that this company is acting in a way that is anti competitive and anti consumer choice.

Thank you in advance.

DeltaSierra
Journeyman III

@falloutboy 

It has been very entertaining reading your fake moral outrage.

Don't come in here talking about anti-consumer behavior when nVidia is far and away the worst offender.   It's been said over and over but DLSS can't run on AMD hardware.  Therefore, using your same logic as being applied to this game situation, nVidia is blocking AMD GPU's.  If DLSS is so great and so good for the consumer, nVidia should do that.  But why the h*** would they?  They want you buying nVidia.  That's anti-consumer.  DLSS is then anti-consumer.  That's a simple logic trail that doesn't make any assumptions, doesn't use circumstantial evidence or speculation, and doesn't rely on irrelevant points.

Regardless of FSR being inferior, you thinking killing it is pro-consumer?  Nice.

That, my dear angry friend, is the mic drop.

You think there's any case at all for the FTC when talking about one competitor not implementing another competitor's proprietary technology?  Upscaling technologies are not core to the playability and purpose of the game.  If this was a case of Starfield being blocked on nVidia GPU's altogether, or purposeful artificial performance drops for the competition, yes, that would actually be unethical and wrong.  

"you can be guaranteed that if AMD developed better FSR tech" -- they are working on it, lol.  It doesn't happen overnight.  FSR 2 was a nice jump over 1.  It's only by.  Perhaps what AMD really needs to do is keep FSR going forward as open source but focus more on RSR to offer a proprietary upscaler that better rivals DLSS.

"Don't come in here talking about anti-consumer behavior when nVidia is far and away the worst offender.  "

Already dealt with... yes nVidia has done shady stuff in the past and nVidia have hauled over the coals for it as per the video posted .... that does not give AMD a free pass. Both companies should be held to the same standard yet you a Salty AMD fanboy seem to be willing to let AMD away with things - they aren't going to give you free stuff you know because you support them - you are still only a walking $ as far as they are concerned and they are not your friend.

"It's been said over and over but DLSS can't run on AMD hardware.  Therefore, using your same logic as being applied to this game situation, nVidia is blocking AMD GPU's."

Nope... that thinking is just plain wrong, nVidia is allowed to develop features that only work with its hardware as is AMD, no one is stopping them so this one does not even hold water. The fact of the matter is AMD does not have the hardware to be able to do this and that's an AMD problem, not an nVidia problem.

"If DLSS is so great and so good for the consumer, nVidia should do that."

Why... Why should nVidia write what would be an inferior product for hardware which doesn't meet the requirements anyway and that they didn't develop. Of course they want you buying nVidia but that is not nVidia entering into agreements which specifically blocks their competitors from being included in a 3rd party product which is what it is suspected that AMD is doing so again a flawed argument on your part.

"Regardless of FSR being inferior, you thinking killing it is pro-consumer? "

I suggested you let the technologies go head to head and which ever one could not compete should die which suggests from your statement that you already know that the AMD product is inferior.

"You think there's any case at all for the FTC when talking about one competitor not implementing another competitor's proprietary technology?  " 

That's not what I said was happening here, we are not talking about AMD being forced to implement DLSS we are talking about AMD not being allowed to block DLSS from being added to games as AMD it is believed through agreements with 3rd parties it blocking nVidia DLSS - that is what the no no is. You guys really do enjoy twisting words into salad don't you?

"Upscaling technologies are not core to the playability and purpose of the game.  If this was a case of Starfield being blocked on nVidia GPU's altogether, or purposeful artificial performance drops for the competition, yes, that would actually be unethical and wrong.  "

No it's a case of AMD trying to force non AMD users to suffer an inferior experience because AMD does not want them to have a superior experience on the competitors product thus showing the AMD product to be inferior... that is anti consumer and unethical. AMD is punishing the consumer for not buying AMD product and forcing them to use something inferior.

This statement is irrelevant to this conversation "you can be guaranteed that if AMD developed better FSR tech" -- they are working on it, lol.  It doesn't happen overnight.  FSR 2 was a nice jump over 1.  It's only by.  Perhaps what AMD really needs to do is keep FSR going forward as open source but focus more on RSR to offer a proprietary upscaler that better rivals DLSS."

We are talking about what is going on NOW not what AMD MIGHT do in the future.

For god sake watch the HUB video - it explains everything that you are going on about in far better detail it's like you deliberately trying to obfuscate proceedings in the favor of AMD which would make you a "salty AMD fanboi"

I have just received an E-Mail from the FTC regarding my query with a reference number, so now we will get the FTC's take on it. 

I'll be waiting for AMD to shut down this thread.

Guys, is all this REALLY worth it?

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home

You know what HUB fails to show although they received numerous replies. The fact that in the DLSS end user agreement is stated that a developer who uses dlss tech must show Nvidia logos in the splash screen of the game and in the credits and not show any other competition logos on the same page as the Nvidia logo.

Meanwhile fidelityFX end user agreement states that here is the SDK, You are free to use it however you like. That's why Nvidia isn't "blocking" fsr in their sponsored games.

How would you like it to sponsor a game studio and your competitor receives free advertising for doing nothing. Nvidia must chill out with their dlss end user agreement if they really care about their customers. Enough said about this nonsense.

Actually they did address this in the video I posted further up in this link and they showed games where the developers have not had to include that stuff but still use the nVIdia tech so again, no water in that argument.

0 Likes
Prince117
Adept II

I hate the fact that both amd and nvidia do this. It shouldn't be happening at all no matter what product you have. 

Prince Ragland
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

This is all fun and games and the words JUSTICE FOR NVIDIA FOR ALL! has been thrown a lot.

Is it for ALL though? Is it?

If it is? What about XeSS? Guess that someone forgot poor old Intel.

The Englishman

Poor wittle intel.😢

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home

I have already seen video comparisons demonstrating that XeSS as young as it is still beats FSR.

0 Likes

And yet, you failed to mention it in your justice demand. That is why you are just trolling the forum. 

This is a community forum where strong friendships are made, not a bridge for you to live under. 

The Englishman

Here's my take: Fake frames are Bull💩. Plain and simple. I don't buy into DLSS, FSR or XeSS. Any game that relies on that to perform is a poorly built game. Just like I don't see much point in RT, but fake frame generation really, REALLY raises my ire.

Give me straight-up brute force smash-mouth raster performance and screaming fast fps, or GIVE ME DEATH!

Performance over Pretty.

Give me straight-up brute force smash-mouth raster performance and screaming fast fps, or GIVE ME DEATH!

Those are some powerful words dude💪