cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Rezla
Adept I
Adept I

RX 6800 XT black screens when second monitor is connected.

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I'm another new user here. I've recently got my hands on an RX 6800 XT GAMING X TRIO and the ride has been a bit bumpy.

The issue i've been getting is whenever I boot up with 2 displays connected or when I connect a 2nd display and just sitting at desktop, both screens go black. I can see my pc trying to reboot itself and the VGA led light on the motherboard lights up. I can't get a signal or image until I unplug one monitor, doesn't matter which one, then reboot the pc. Getting back to desktop with only 1 monitor connected I get a pop up from radeon saying Wattman settings failed and have been reverted back to default.

I was using a 2080 super before with zero issues.

Specs are:

- Windows 10

- MSI RX 6800 xt gaming x trio (card is connected with 2 seperate 8 pin cables)

- MSI b450 gaming pro carbon ac motherboard (just isn't compatible maybe?)

- Ryzen 3800 x

- 32gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000 mhz

- GamerStorm 750w Gold PSU

- XPG 250gb nvme

- 2x Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA monitors running at 144hz

The steps i've taken trying to fix it myself are as follows:

- Installed then ran DDU in safe mode

- Reinstall AMD's adrenaline with 20.11.2 (I initially started using the card with Adrenaline 20.12.2 when first installed.)

- Updated windows

- Updated Bios

- Set PCIE gen slot to GEN 3 in bios

- Disabled fast startup in windows

- Changed display cables.

- Changed to different monitors.

- Changed the ram.

- Reseated the card.

- Reinstalled windows and amd drivers again.

- Lowered RAM speed

Nothing fixed or improved anything, I can say for sure is that it runs flawlessly with only one monitor connected.

Edit:
Temperatures are also fine throughout the system.

Nothing is being overclocked.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rezla
Adept I
Adept I

Re: RX 6800 XT black screens when second monitor is connected.

Jump to solution

Alright guys, I found the issue with my black screens after troubleshooting for the past couple days. Gonna label it as "solved" even tho it doesn't necessarily solve my issues.  I don't know if this would help anyone that is reading this but my issue was with my monitors.

I have 2 Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA monitors, they are 1440p 144hz monitors with neither freesync or gsync software. I originally tested 1 Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA and 1 Zowie BenQ Z2411 1080p 144hz and still got black screens. I then recently tested the 1 Zowie monitor with 1 MSI MAG27CQ 1440p 144hz monitor for a day and had zero crashes. Rebooted several times and never lost signal.  I have a friend with a similar build but identical card and I threw my card in his rig and we ran more tests (Haven, 3DMark (my card even outscored his in every test lol), played cyberpunk for a few hours) and again rebooted several times. It never black screened. We were also using 2 Dell s2721dgf 1440p 165 hz monitors with his setup.

Final test we did was connecting my 2 samsung monitors with his rig and it immediately black screened.

I know the patch notes mentioned potential black screens with Samsung G9 monitors but I think its safe to assume my monitors are having the same issues as those.

I guess I just gotta wait for a driver update to fix this.

Thanks for all the replies.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
MartinSd
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Okay this is somewhat an odd question, but is the 2nd monitor plugged with an adapter (Say DVI to HDMI or similar)?

0 Kudos
Rezla
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

No, both monitors use display port cables.

0 Kudos
MrSleezeBag1964
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

This sounds eerily similar to what is happening with my 6800.  Although, mine only happens when gaming.  BUT... not all games.  Very confusing.  I'm getting ready to RMA the card (Asrock Phantom 6800), however I was hoping maybe somebody else experienced the same. 

I've seen to have success by turning off Freesync in Radeon and on the monitor... but no Fresync is awful.  

Further confusing is that I can play some games without issue, like Doom Eternal, even with Freesync ON.  However Destiny 2 & Apex Legends both experience crashing very often.

I've done just about everything you have... maybe more.  New 850 watt PSU, New SSD, Fresh Windows Install, lowered RAM to default, tried different kit of RAM... etc etc.  None of it helps.  

I'm hoping that PERHAPS the next Radeon software version will fix this, but I'm running out of time for my Newegg refund. 

Have you installed and ran DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)?  Since you're coming from Nvidia, certainly want to do that.  Follow directions - boot in Safe Mode, etc. 

0 Kudos
Rezla
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I'm hoping it really is only a driver issue. I did use DDU when I installed the driver the second time, but not before the first time.

0 Kudos
MrSleezeBag1964
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Check out this thread.  A user marked one of the responses as solved after setting a narrow clock speed window and some minor undervolting:

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/asus-tuf-6800-non-xt-complete-computer-freeze/m-p/439723/highl...

Rezla
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

No luck on my end with that method. Do you get "Default wattman settings have been restored" after crashing as well? Reading into older posts, that tool seems to be a common cause of crashing for older generation of cards. I can't find it anywhere in Adrenaline, I think it may have been renamed as "Global Tuning".

I did follow the steps in this Solved post but with no improvement: https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/default-radeon-wattman-settings-has-been-restored-due-to/m-p/1...

I honestly think this is strictly a driver issue now.

0 Kudos
MrSleezeBag1964
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Well... I was just testing the undervolt/oc settings referenced earlier, it caused a crash about 30 mins ago, and upon rebooting from that instance I did get the "Default Watt Man settings..." error message during a run of Time Spy. I didn't even push clocks beyond the auto OC value of 2100 Mhz Max, 2000 Mhz min.

However, all of the trouble I've had with mine has been completely normal settings.  No OC, no undervolt, nothing.  When it crashes in that instance, there is no error message.  The computer must be powered down to clear the VGA Error light on the motherboard. 

My friend mentioned something when he kept getting the "Default Wattman..." error message.  There was a render job timeout value that he increased in the registry settings.  This was with a 5700XT though.  Perhaps I should look in to it. 

0 Kudos
Rezla
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Alright guys, I found the issue with my black screens after troubleshooting for the past couple days. Gonna label it as "solved" even tho it doesn't necessarily solve my issues.  I don't know if this would help anyone that is reading this but my issue was with my monitors.

I have 2 Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA monitors, they are 1440p 144hz monitors with neither freesync or gsync software. I originally tested 1 Samsung LC32JG52QQNXZA and 1 Zowie BenQ Z2411 1080p 144hz and still got black screens. I then recently tested the 1 Zowie monitor with 1 MSI MAG27CQ 1440p 144hz monitor for a day and had zero crashes. Rebooted several times and never lost signal.  I have a friend with a similar build but identical card and I threw my card in his rig and we ran more tests (Haven, 3DMark (my card even outscored his in every test lol), played cyberpunk for a few hours) and again rebooted several times. It never black screened. We were also using 2 Dell s2721dgf 1440p 165 hz monitors with his setup.

Final test we did was connecting my 2 samsung monitors with his rig and it immediately black screened.

I know the patch notes mentioned potential black screens with Samsung G9 monitors but I think its safe to assume my monitors are having the same issues as those.

I guess I just gotta wait for a driver update to fix this.

Thanks for all the replies.

View solution in original post

MrSleezeBag1964
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Interesting!! I wish I had a different monitor to test with. I'm not using Samsung monitors at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if they share a signal processing component of some type. 

(My primary monitor is a an 1440p/144hz LG 32GK650F-B on Display Port.  Secondary is an old Asus 1080p/60 using HDMI). 

0 Kudos