cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

sayedbintaher
Journeyman III

Default Radeon WattMan settings has been restored due to unexpected system failure

Jump to solution

Hello. I have Sapphire RX 590 GPU with 2400G R5 processor and PSU is 630. So while playing Far Cry 5 after a few minutes of Gameplay suddenly my monitor goes blank and it shows no signal. When I  restart the cpu it says Default Radeon Wattman settings has been restored due to unexpected situation. I have increased the power limit to 50% I don't know whether it will work so I am bit confused what to do next.Will it cause any harm if I increase power limit?? And please provide me some solution to get rid of this problem. Thank you.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: "Default Radeon WattMan settings has been restored due to unexpected situation"

Jump to solution

This message typically occurs after the GPU driver crashes and can be caused by one or more of the following. 

• Windows missing critical and or important updates
    • Keep your operating system up to date by installing all available recommended and critical updates.
    • For instructions on how to update Windows 10 please refer to kb article: Update Windows 10
    • For instructions on how to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 please refer to kb article: Install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

• Corrupted registry keys/and or system files
  • Display drivers with known issues
    • The graphics card drivers may have known issues with a certain application.
    • Check to see if you are running the latest display driver
    • If you have the latest display driver installed, check the release notes to see if your issue is a known issue and if so revert to an earlier driver version.
    • Check to see if you have the latest patch or updates for the application you are using

• Corrupted display driver
  • A overclocked processor, graphics card or system memory can cause system instability and excess heat which can cause GPU driver crashes. 
    • Run all hardware components at their default factory settings.
    • This would include the processor, graphics card and system memory.
    • Processor and system memory changes can be reset to factory default settings in the motherboard bios.
    • For instructions on how to reset your motherboard BIOS to default settings, please refer to your motherboard manual or system documentation.

If you continue to experience the same issue after trying the steps above, you may have defective hardware. Here are some suggestions to try and isolate which hardware inside your system is faulty. 

A defective graphics card:

• Check that the power supply meets the requirements of the graphics card.
  • Check that power supply cables properly secured to the graphics card.
  • Try reseating the graphics card into the PCI-E lane.
  • Try moving the graphics card to a different PCI-E lane.
  • Try the graphics card in a different system.

A defective or inadequate power supply.

Defective system memory:

• Test system memory DIMMs individually to look for errors. The following third-party utility can be used to check for memory errors: MemTest86

If you wish to receive additional support or suggestions on this issue, please open a new discussion and provide the essential information required as specified here: https://community.amd.com/thread/196209

View solution in original post

0 Likes
181 Replies
utkucemdk
Adept I

Re: "Default Radeon WattMan settings has been restored due to unexpected situation"

Jump to solution

I got the same problem. Sapphire 590 Nitro + SE. It isn't from power supply I'm it is probably from the GPU as I tried different power supplies both were the same problem.

0 Likes
oldar
Adept II

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with my Sapphire Fury Nitro+.

My system specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

AMD 2700x

Asus Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)

G.Skill 3200Mhz

I build this system about 2 months ago. Ever since, I have the same problem, either in games or just reading random pages in internet (mail, news, etc) I have tried DDU with no success. I was thinking to install only the drivers and nothing else, in case I can get rid of that frustrating problem...

0 Likes
oldar
Adept II

Jump to solution

Power Supply has nothing to do with it. Its strictly software problem. If it is from Windows 10 or from AMD, does not matter. It needs to be fixed asap.

In these forums I read for a temporally solution. Use AMD clean uninstall in safe mode and then install only the Graphic Drivers and the Audio HDMI Drivers. Not the Wizard and the AMD Settings Panel. Without the panel, there is no Wattman to cause problems.

I thought to give it a try to the new drivers before doing it myself. I did it a few minutes ago and I will let you know how it is going after some testing...

oldar
Adept II

Jump to solution

Ok, I just wanted to share my experience with what I had read in here for the OP's problem and what I suggested in my previous posts.

After AMD clean uninstall in Safe Mode, I installed the latest drivers (19.1.1) without the Wizard and the AMD Settings Panel. Although I do not see the problem with the Wattman I had before, other problems made their appearance as I was testing the system.

The more obvious one, was the huge frame drops I got to my games. In instances where with AMD Settings Panel I used to have over 90 fps, without it, I had 6 or 8. So, the game was unplayable.

In the bottom line, I have to choose:

A) No wattman problems but deal with extremely low fps

B) Normal Fps but I will risk random restarts here and there....

Please AMD, fix the problem with the Wattman. Maybe you can release an option to install it as we do now with ReLive option. The players who need it, they will install it. Others who do not care about such things, they won't. Give us the tools to stabilize our systems again...

kegger
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

This problem first appeared for me with Nov. driver update 2018, on my previous RX 370 card.  Watman goes to default due to unexpected system failure, it continually alerts me to old driver updates as "New" and will not retain/apply my HDMI scaling.  I would have to re-initiate the scaling every time I restart the computer. In the last 3 days I have upgraded to a RX 590 oc+ (running stock). All of the same problems persist. Yes I did the safe mode uninstall / clean install with virus protect suspended. if someone could figure out this issue it sure would save some headaches.

Radeon Software Version - 19.1.1

Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019

Graphics Chipset - Radeon RX 590 Series

Memory Size - 8192 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1580 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor

ASRock Fatal1ty x370 gaming pro MoBo

0 Likes
brenton
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Hi I have a new Asus dual Rx 580 and I recently updated my drivers to the 19.1.1 version and i have the same issue. I have tried clean uninstalling drivers with DDU (in safe mode) and reinstalling. It does not fix anything. I have heard down clocking may help or setting the Wattman voltage control and Frequency for the GPU to Manual helps and i have tried both and i still get crashes. Please if there is any fix please post it this is very frustrating AMD please fix.

Note: on my previous driver version I did not have any Wattman issues but I am unsure on how to revert back to an older version even thou this shouldn't be a necessary solution to play games on newly released drivers. AMD please fix.

cheekychan
Adept II

Jump to solution

Just wanted to chime in. I'm still using a lowly R9 270 2GB on Windows 10 Pro and while I haven't had a crash in-game yet I get this same message (sometimes) when waking my PC up and it's followed by nothing but problems. Videos won't play either in my browser or via a media player like MPC or VLC, games still play fine but the over feel of my system seems sluggish too. There's no throttling to be seen either, both MSI AB and Task Manager show everything running at normal clocks. Though it doesn't seem to matter whether or not I get that message, I still have the same issues after every wake-up and am forced to restart. I just thought it was weird since I'm using an older card that doesn't support WattMan nor do any options show up for it, just the old Global OverDrive settings panel under Global Gaming Settings tab. Running Radeon Settings 19.1.1 on a clean driver install, even reinstalled different versions each on a clean install, same exact problems. Seems to be a Windows 10 issue.

0 Likes
brunocampos
Adept I

Jump to solution

I have same problem my rx 480 8gb nitro+ just freeze and turn black screen and i have to force my role system to restart, and I just installed hdmi and the audio, I did not install the others, but it is only temporary until a driver comes out that helps, since I did everything just to ease the crash and the black screen (freezing) we have to wait for amd to solve soon, because I have this board for two years and only now have these problems that give me a headache, compared to before my fps are really low I do not know what to do AMD FIX THIS.

oldar
Adept II

Jump to solution

Version 19.1.2.

I had them almost a week or so, and I thought they finally fix it. But yesterday as today, it hit me again. Not as wattman crash but as System Failyre in windows. The screen freezes, I read an error window such as Critical error or something and I have to hard restart.

I am going back to 16.11.5 for a while... nothing else to do here...