cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: RDNA2, RDNA Refresh, and "Big Navi" Launch and Reviews.

Even though Vega is still in some current and even upcoming APUs. It certainly isn't beyond AMD to end support abruptly. They have done it now several times with mobile chips and their graphics. As much as I would hate to have those still using Polaris to end support it really would be the smartest thing AMD could do IMHO to make drivers that really are good for RDNA2. Maybe what they should do is truly split the drivers. Keep supporting GCN for a while but not in the same driver that is used for RDNA2. Thus really ending new features for GCN but getting some game updates and updates needed by new Windows changes. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

If they pull a stunt like that it will be GPU user base suicide.
Nvidia are still releasing new drivers for Kepler GTX780Ti.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

AMD may still be technically releasing new drivers all the way back to the HD 7000 series, but when was the last time anything pre Polaris received any actual update? Performance improvements stopped long ago, and all new feature improvements require either Polaris or Navi, mostly Navi, so all the HD 7000-R5/7/9 series gets is a horrid new UI.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Whist Game optimisation for older GPUs seems dropped like a brick, some things have been done for older GPUs. 

Radeon Image Sharpening was enabled for Vega after some complaints.
Radeon Boost has been enabled on RX Vega GPUs.
Bug fixes were implemented to fix Black Screen bug on RX Vega 64 during attempt to fix the issue in Navi 10.

Many issues still remain to be fixed for older GPUs.

Fan control on R9 390X is non existent and I expect they will never fix it.
MultiGPU support in Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI is a disgrace and they should at least put the Crossfire Profile and GPU Pairing options back for people still running DX11 Crossfire on older GPUs and games that still support it.
FRTC control should be put back in the driver GUI.

There is still a point to have the older GPU supported - if just for bug fixes.

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Very good point. Plus so many GCN users can't even get the 2020 drivers to load. So in some ways you can already say support ended. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

That was a huge black mark against AMD when I was choosing between the 5700XT and the 2070 Super, how I was treated as a Fury series owner, seeing years of Polaris updates and none for Fury, which again led to the RX 580, a slower card computationally, outperforming the Fury X.

And yes, even if performance improvements are stopped, bugs still need to be fixed, and it becomes even more important in this era of the "new normal" of discrete GPUs costing in excess of $300, with more "mainstream" 1920x1080 60FPS full details with ray tracing GPUs, which should be the 2080 Super/3060 Ti level cards pushing $400 or more, people are going to expect that two years down the road they're going to be able to play their games and use their programs bug free. And don't even mention the people who will be dropping $1000 on a GPU...

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Honestly the people I think who will end up getting hosed the most are those who bought navi. So many of them have issues it's ridiculous. I am amazed at the people that bought these to connect to tv's and apparently for whatever reason the sound drops out a lot when connecting to TVs and Receivers. I however am not sure if some of the Navi chips did get fixed silicon at some point. I think though that Navi is still a pretty good bit different than RDNA2 and that it will be another step child that just doesn't get good support moving forward. Although not sure you can call the last year good support for it either. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Most decidedly yes they're getting the shaft, especially if AMD does indeed launch a Navi Refresh so the 5700XT becomes the 6700XT for $300, or just continues to cut RDNA2 down even more to get lower models, especially the people who are buying into Navi right now for >$400 during "Black Friday Month"...

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

This lot are usually a good indicator of what's happening in Europe at least.
Once that "Sorry this product is not available anymore" sign goes up - there is an AMD refresh or a new AMD GPU to replace it on the way.
They are completely out of RX5700XT.

pastedImage_1.png

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

"Announcement:
New Community Platform is Coming!
by sam.tehrani (03 November 2020)

Heads-up Everyone!

AMD will be launching our new Community Platform soon.  Don’t worry, we’ll be migrating existing active conversations and you won’t have to re-register (you may need to reset your password) – but you’ll also get new capabilities such as an updated user interface with intuitive navigation, improved search, and many more features. 

We’ll keep the community informed, and we look forward to connecting on the new platform!"

Looks like we lwill lose tons of threads and useful old information.
Great.

0 Kudos