Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Roughy
Journeyman III

6800XT Reproducible reboot with no video output in some games

The problem:

Computer will reboot with no video output after either reaching a certain point in one game, or after anywhere from 30 seconds to several hours of gameplay in some games. Other games will run fine indefinitely.
System must be shut down completely ( power button or blind shutdown from windows after it reboots ) to restore video output. Using the reset button will not restore video output.

The issue cannot be triggered using synthetic stress tests, such as Furmark or Radeon Stress test, while also using prime95 to stress the CPU. Some heavy games do not trigger the problem at all, while other light games trigger it instantly.

Swapping the 6800XT for an RX480 resolves the issue.

I believe this is the same issue as this thread, but I opted to start a new thread as I can provide a save file to hopefully reproduce the problem, and that user has RMA'd their card and will no longer be able to corroborate results.

Games that trigger the issue:

• Deliver us the Moon ( dx11, dx12 )
  • Doom Eternal ( Vulkan )

Games that do not trigger the issue:

• VRChat ( dx11 )
  • Vane ( dx11 )

In the two games that trigger the issue it occurs after anywhere from a few seconds to a few hours of gameplay.

GPU load does not affect the issue, and it occurs regardless of whether you are running 1080p 60fps or 4k unconstrained.
As noted, synthetic tests stressing the GPU and CPU at the same time do not trigger the issue.
Production workloads (Premiere, Blender, Unity editor ) lasting 12+ hours have not triggered the issue.

You are mostly able to continue playing the game after the reboot, but in Deliver us the Moon I have reached a point that will cause the issue within seconds of continuing the game, every single time.

I would be interested to see if anyone else who suffers intermittent black screen reboots are able to utilize the same save file to reliably reproduce the problem. I have copied the save file from the Deliver us the Moon steam game folder: https://www.mayulive.com/deliverusthemoonsave/ 

Hardware:

ASUS Radeon RX 6800 XT TUF OC
ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
AMD 5900X
G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZN, 16GB*2, DDR4 3600MHz 16CL
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB SSD MZ-V7S2T0BW
Cooler Master V850 PSU

Things I have tried:

All the old driers, all the new drivers.
Old BIOS, new BIOS.
Disable XMP, CPU boost, resizable bar, Virtualization.
Reseated all cables, RAM, and GPU.
Multiple monitors, single monitor. Vsync off and on, windows and full-screen.

The only step that resolves the issue is swapping the GPU for another one ( RX480 ).

Thoughts

The fact that I can now reliably reproduce the problem in a light-GPU load scenario would suggest that the 6800XT is choking on something very specific. Hopefully this means that it can be fixed with a vbios or driver update, rather than having to RMA the card.

I have contacted ASUS, but they seem to have a response time of about a week at the moment. Their initial response was just your usual try-the-gpu-in-another-system-and-then-RMA-wherever-you-bought-it.

0 Likes
0 Replies